Italeri 1/35 Schwimmwagen

Hi all

This is my latest arms model in a long long time.

The old dated Italeri 1/35 kit of the Schwimmwagen used to be the beezee's-neez back in the days. Not much so nowadays after Tamiya has released their fantastic version of it.

However, since I had this kit in stash for several years now I decided to build it.

Built straight from the box except for a few bit n pieces from my spare parts box. It really built very easy and straightforward, no dramas besides cleaning up the parts and filling some ejector marks.

Painted using Tamiya paints and weathered using pastel chalks and some oils.

Here is is:

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1415454-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a14aa7e0-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a153b5ae-1200x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a15cc44b-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a165bb97-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1709cd7-1200x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a17b8a08-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1866fa6-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a18e8baf-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a197a372-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1a2fa55-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1acb83c-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1b702b4-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1becef0-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1c886ef-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1d6bab7-1600x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1de8a2f-1200x

armouredsprue_200501_5eac3a1e956fd-1200x

Comments and critics welcomed!

Cheers

Paulo

• Like 23

Wow, beautiful work. I remember building it back in the day. The succession of detailed bits especially on the interior is very impressive, the precise scratches on the helmet that show up on different angles, the map the gun, the grilles, the jerrycan, the list goes on. A joy to watch.

• Thanks 1

Quite incredibly detailed - the attention paid to the little things is immense. Fantatstic model. I was talking to an armoured enthusiast about this vehicle this week. Top drawer model.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, diablo rsv said:

Very nice indeed!

Do you use anything to fix or seal in the pastels? 

Wayne

Hi Wayne

Yes, I use acrylic paints (Tamiya or Gunze) for painting my models, so for the dust I use a mix of pastel chalk finely scraped with a hobby knife (you can mix various shades to achieve what you want, I usually mix a good amount to make sure it will last for the whole process), I put some of the pastels chalks (or pigments if you prefer to use the more expensive version of it) in a small container than I add mineral spirit to this, if you want more muddy you add less mineral spirit, if you want just a dust cover you add more mineral spirit to the pastel and apply with a pointed brush. I usually use a hair dryer to dry it as I apply it and so I can build up the dust effect. It also enables me to dust off any excess with a clean dry brush, but the longer you leave it on the model the more difficult to remove it later. 

The mineral spirit is very good since it doesn't damage the acrylic paint underneath. I didn't apply any coat before applying it to the kit but I think it would be better to have a flat coat applied.

Thanks all for your kind words.

Cheers 

That build is spectacular. All the little details are masterpieces of their own...and when they’re blended together...WOW. Not sure what you did to the windscreen but I think it’s my favourite bit. 

• Thanks 1

On 05/05/2020 at 01:56, ArmouredSprue said:

Hi Wayne

Yes, I use acrylic paints (Tamiya or Gunze) for painting my models, so for the dust I use a mix of pastel chalk finely scraped with a hobby knife (you can mix various shades to achieve what you want, I usually mix a good amount to make sure it will last for the whole process), I put some of the pastels chalks (or pigments if you prefer to use the more expensive version of it) in a small container than I add mineral spirit to this, if you want more muddy you add less mineral spirit, if you want just a dust cover you add more mineral spirit to the pastel and apply with a pointed brush. I usually use a hair dryer to dry it as I apply it and so I can build up the dust effect. It also enables me to dust off any excess with a clean dry brush, but the longer you leave it on the model the more difficult to remove it later. 

The mineral spirit is very good since it doesn't damage the acrylic paint underneath. I didn't apply any coat before applying it to the kit but I think it would be better to have a flat coat applied.

Thanks all for your kind words.

Cheers 

Thank you.

That's along the lines of the way I have been doing it. I just find that sometimes using modelling pigments where I want the impression of a fine dust layer that they can be a little course when viewed close up.

I will try thinning them a bit more.

Wayne

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Major Wardaddy said:

That build is spectacular. All the little details are masterpieces of their own...and when they’re blended together...WOW. Not sure what you did to the windscreen but I think it’s my favourite bit. 

Thanks mate. For the windscreen what I did was, I masked with Tamiya tape the area of the windscreen. Then I used WC04 Mr Weathering Color Sundy Wash from Gunze. Applied with brush wait for a bit and than removed the excess with cotton buds, removed the mask and with a flat brush blend it all. Took like 4 minutes in total.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1