Kits-World 1:72 "Defenders of Malta" decal set

vppelt68

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I'm not sure if decal news are allowed in this forum? @Homebee please delete/hide if unwanted 🙂.

I don't think Homebee can delete or hide posts - I'm pretty sure he is just a member - like you & me.

3 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

"Bright desert sand". Another shining example of Kits World's meticulous research.

A bit like the statement about ‘predictable subjects’ which seems to have fallen by the wayside too?

• Confused 1

11 minutes ago, Dennis_C said:

How are these decals behaving when being applied? Any problems experienced or precautions needed?

I've decorated two B-17:s with their sets. First rate, I can say 🙂

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I don't think many of the Spitfires were finished in desert camouflage - I certainly wouldn't paint a T coded aircraft that way.  249 Sq were in the front of the "paint it blue" brigade.

In case of Malta Spits, I would give very little value to any painting instructions provided by any decal manufacturer... But I think this set offers plenty of opportunities for those modellers "who know better" (that definition excludes me!) how to paint the Spitfires to add the various decal options. Remember, they don't sell the paints but the decals.

• Like 1

Issues with the standard  or otherwise of research regarding the suggested options for the sheet aside, a very useful sheet for the yellow codes alone. Suddenly a myriad of second line FAA options become feasible modelling subjects!

Mark.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Like all studies of camouflage and markings, you go for the people who have put the hard graft into researching the matter, and ignore the armchair experts who tell you it can't be done or jump to specious conclusions based on a superficial survey of what it available and erratic anecdotes.  In this case look to Brian Cauchi and Paul Lucas.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I've decorated two B-17:s with their sets. First rate, I can say 🙂

Agreed. I've had no problems with Kits World decals.

I haven't looked too closely at how accurate they are because it's the stunning nose art that usually attracts me. But then I am rather shallow...

30 seconds of work on the internet has produced photos of spitfire JG891 coded TB of 249 Sqdn displaying at flying legends painted in a desert camouflage scheme. 

This suggests to me that their is either a lot of misleading misinformation around regarding wartime camouflage, or that some people post on here without doing some basic reseach first

Surely this monumental work of decal artistry (not to mention raw courage in the face of historical uncertainty and endless debate - oops - I mentioned it, but I think I got away with it) deserves its own thread, but let me just say, I wonder if Airfix will give a volume discount on batches of 32 assorted-mark Spitfire kits!

John

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, John Thompson said:

Surely this monumental work of decal artistry (not to mention raw courage in the face of historical uncertainty and endless debate - oops - I mentioned it, but I think I got away with it) deserves its own thread, but let me just say, I wonder if Airfix will give a volume discount on batches of 32 assorted-mark Spitfire kits!

John

Well it's just a re-release so I didn't see much point, just pointing it out to those interested in a Malta Spit. 

58 minutes ago, Tbolt said:

Well it's just a re-release so I didn't see much point, just pointing it out to those interested in a Malta Spit. 

I'm glad you did - I might be in the market for a copy of it myself, and I wasn't aware it existed, so, thank you!

John

• Like 2