IJN Type B1 submarine 1/200 Nichimo

Calling this one done, Nichimo I-19 1/200 Type B1 IJN Submarine. Hairy stick painted with scratch built brass railing. Brass and fishing line rigging, cylindrical ariel fuse wire hoops with fishing line. Conning tower windows opened up and glazed with Kristal klear.

Researching this build was hard going due to lack of photos, especially the cylindrical ariel, the Nichimo plans are quite detailed with illustrations of the real thing, which the rigging sadly doesnt tie up with Osprey's book 3D illustration, Kagero's was a complete work of fiction even missing the split rudder, covered in a seperate post in the Maritime review section. Some of the build may not be square and perfectly aligned but it was a real challenge to scratch build and do this beauty justice.

This is my take on her after Pearl Harbour and Japans entry into WW2, with all the info i could muster, happy to hear from anyone who knows better, to add to my knowledge. As a footnote this sub was 45 foot longer than a Gato, also the I-19 successfully sank the US aircraft carrier USS Wasp in September 1942.

Box art

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Lastly scale shot

spacer.png

All the best Chris

• Like 17

Amazing some of the inventions that came through WW2 who the hell thought of launching a plane from a submarine wacky but brilliant.

cracking build there Chris  :yes:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Bitzer said:

Nice job Chris. That antenna must have been a chore. I can't even imagine how one would start that.

Hi Bitzer it was a chore, what you see is the third attempt, tried brass rod 0.2 mm and fuse wire rings, glue wouldnt hold, tried building a holding frame that didnt work because of the size. Even tried to make the rings out of plasticard too flimsy. Ended up with 8 lines of 2lb fishing line over rings made of fuse wire, gluing each individual ring all the way round one at a time by hand with superglue and a cocktail stick, using a steel ruler as a guide. It took a while to do as each glued join had to be left for hours to bond properly. I wont be doing one of these in a hurry again LOL.

spacer.png

All the best Chris

• Like 1