451 sqn Spit Vc ‘Olive VI’

rob85

Hi all,

I’m looking for help tracking down decals for the above aircraft, the Vc is my favourite mk and it has the name of my little girl on the side so would love to build it! 

I've found a set by red roo, but as they are an Aussie company they are hard to find in the UK.

RRD4849_02V.jpg

these are the ones I mean.

any info on the aircraft and any hints and tips on how to get hold of them or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Hi all,

I’m looking for help tracking down decals for the above aircraft, the Vc is my favourite mk and it has the name of my little girl on the side so would love to build it! 

I've found a set by red roo, but as they are an Aussie company they are hard to find in the UK.

RRD4849_02V.jpg

these are the ones I mean.

any info on the aircraft and any hints and tips on how to get hold of them or alternatives would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

This "transitional" camo scheme is of course unofficial ?

Sorry yeah it’s the 1/72 sheet I’m trying to get hold of!

2 hours ago, FinnAndersen said:

I've got this as remains on a 1/72 sheet, but you didn't state the scale.

Rob

1 hour ago, rob85 said:

Sorry yeah it’s the 1/72 sheet I’m trying to get hold of!

Rob

It's RRD7254. I'm not interested in Vc BQ-Y, so you can have the serial, codes and artwork if you want. You'd have to provide the roundels and the fin flash from the spares box.

Just send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'm put it an envelope for you. The only proviso is that you post pictures of the result here on BM 😀.

/Finn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, FinnAndersen said:

It's RRD7254. I'm not interested in Vc BQ-Y, so you can have the serial, codes and artwork if you want. You'd have to provide the roundels and the fin flash from the spares box.

Just send me a PM with your snail mail address and I'm put it an envelope for you. The only proviso is that you post pictures of the result here on BM 😀.

/Finn

PM in bound! And the terms are more than fair!! 

wow, thank you!

Rob

I built a 451 Sqn Spit Vc here on BM,..... maybe this thread may be of interest, with pics of the units aircraft, see attached;

I can recommend Red Roo,.... a very good company.

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, woody37 said:

Mr Red Roo himself

Oh no .......... just a small part of the Red Roo International Conglomerate.

It looks as though Rob has a deal. We are happy to see people sharing our sheets. We try to put not too many and not too few options on each sheet.

Some modelling friends split a DK sheet 5 ways some time ago and still had a t least 3 subjects each - now that's good value!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi  Rob

The decals are now in the mail; I hope they arrive safely, dunno when 🙂

In my haste to help you I forgot to ask what kit you plan to use.

I've tried almost everything that claimed  Spitfire Vc and discarded the lot.

My best effort has been a hybrid between an Eduard early IXc and a Tamiya Vb. The latter provides the nose and the oil cooler as cast copies.

I'm finishing a couple right now, one as QY-V Rima II and one as BR114 of Abukir fame.

/Finn

• Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, FinnAndersen said:

I've tried almost everything that claimed  Spitfire Vc and discarded the lot.

Hm what makes Special Hobby Vc unsuitable?

54 minutes ago, epozar said:

Hm what makes Special Hobby Vc unsuitable?

IMHO, general build quality, lack of finesse, poor fit of canopy to name the most obvious problems. I admit that I rather like a detailed cockpit and the Special Hobby is nowhere near the Eduard.

From 6' away, anything goes, but my arms are not that long and I tend to look very closely on my model as I build them. That and my habit of taking pictures for the RFI section with closeups affects the choice of  base kit.

Just my 5 cents, of course.

/Finn

Thank all for the you thoughts, all really helpful and appreciated! 

@tonyot I’ll go have a look now, wouldn’t want to miss out on a To y build!

@FinnAndersen you’re an absolute gent thank you! The kit will be either the sword MK VC (stolen from a seafire set I bought) or an airfix eduard hybrid I was building as a malta aircraft. But if airfix can get the new VC out before I build this then maybe that, but probably not. All in 1/72.

@woody37 thanks for tagging @Ed Russell, and Ed thanks for understanding its good to share! I love the red roo sheets but sometimes hard to get hold of.

thanks you all!

Rob

On 5/6/2020 at 1:00 AM, FinnAndersen said:

and one as BR114 of Abukir fame.

/Finn

Hi Finn,

BR114 also flew some 8+ ops, in May 1943, with No. 451 Sqn RAAF, so will fit nicely into your RAAF collection. 🙂

Peter M

Edited by Magpie22
Spelling correction
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Magpie22 said:

Hi Finn,

BR114 also flew some 8+ ops, in May 1943, with No. 451 Sqn RAAF, so will fit nicely into your RAAF collection. 🙂

Peter M

That's why I became interested 😀

Uhh, it's nearing completion, so I'm super cautious, nothing must go wrong now.