UH-1B Huey 1/24 Revell

1/24 UH-1B Huey from Revell (Monogram) was finished today.

Model is really old-first Monogram edition was released in 1969.

It's age is perceptible while building. Wrapped parts, weak details, transparent elements needed to be polished.

Building was a little longer than I planned because I've decided to make little corrections. Instrument board is modified, along with seats. Rear troop bench is scratchbuild. Upholstery is made with baking paper. Also cooling vents are new, with wire mesh cover. Instead of sharkmouth decal I used self-made masks. Surfboard is made of thin plank.

Painting is done with Tamiya.Gunze,AK and Vallejo. Chipping is AK Fluid and weathering is AMMO MIG, AK Interactive, Vallejo and Tamiya pigments, washes, fluids...

Hope you like it :)

7H8vzB0.jpg
QULluDv.jpg
COs2DAW.jpg
bbEuZnC.jpg
4rTt5F2.jpg
u7eSL6I.jpg
kmJlz7D.jpg
29cOdEw.jpg
4Lj3d1l.jpg
eGpiJfY.jpg
pqWnZxA.jpg
Tvc0g1d.jpg
Yn1FRwA.jpg

• Like 29
  • Thanks 1

Hello Artoor,

Big, but very elegant.

Old, but still around (In scale and flying)

This type, the Bell Huey is forever  "The Mother of all helicopters". 

Regards, Orion.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Very nice!!!!  I hear “Ride of the Valkyries” upon viewing it!!!! :D

“If I say it`s safe to surf on this beach............then it`s safe to surf on this beach!!!!!!!” :hypnotised:

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

WOW… as they say - that is really nicely finished.  I have the 1/35 Revell version - but no appetite to build anything at present.  I will bookmark this page as a reminder though - for when my spirits improve.

Great Job Artoor. 

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

I do too

1 hour ago, Sky Keg said:

“If I say it`s safe to surf on this beach............then it`s safe to surf on this beach!!!!!!!” :hypnotised:

"Charlie don't surf!"

11 hours ago, Orion said:

Hello Artoor,

Big, but very elegant.

Old, but still around (In scale and flying)

This type, the Bell Huey is forever  "The Mother of all helicopters". 

Regards, Orion.

Thank you :)

6 hours ago, Sky Keg said:

Mike

Thank you :)

"I mean I'm not afraid to surf this place, I'll surf this whole fu***ng place!" :D

5 hours ago, BIG X said:

WOW… as they say - that is really nicely finished.  I have the 1/35 Revell version - but no appetite to build anything at present.  I will bookmark this page as a reminder though - for when my spirits improve.

Great Job Artoor. 

5 hours ago, Abandoned Project said:

I do too

"Charlie don't surf!"

"You can either surf, or you can fight!" :D

3 hours ago, Pete in Lincs said:

Very nice beaten up old Huey. Love the surfboard. I think I still have the tail rotor from the one I built almost fifty years ago!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Lovely work. Im currently building a UH-1B - its actually the - 1/35 Seminar C model but in reality its just the B with few extra parts and apparently putting the guns together is so painful that I dont fancy it. Top tip - dont leave a kit forgotten in the attic for a decade unless you like building a very warped model!

The classic Huey - superb build and the added surfboard is a very smart bit of scratch-building.  The shark mouth is much better than any decal would of looked.

On 5/3/2020 at 9:21 PM, Piotr Sudnik said:

:goodjob:

On 5/3/2020 at 9:33 PM, busnproplinerfan said:

This sure is nicely done. I have one I made  into H version, big job. If I do another I’ll leave it a B.

Thank you. Big job indeed.

On 5/4/2020 at 8:19 AM, RMCS said:

Awsome 

Thank you.

On 5/4/2020 at 9:02 AM, stulad said:

Lovely work. Im currently building a UH-1B - its actually the - 1/35 Seminar C model but in reality its just the B with few extra parts and apparently putting the guns together is so painful that I dont fancy it. Top tip - dont leave a kit forgotten in the attic for a decade unless you like building a very warped model!

Thanks. Mine was lying on wardrobe so warps were stock, free gift from Revell :)

On 5/4/2020 at 3:17 PM, F-32 said:

Best Huey I've seen so far :clap:

Many thanks :)

On 5/4/2020 at 4:09 PM, Booty003 said:

The classic Huey - superb build and the added surfboard is a very smart bit of scratch-building.  The shark mouth is much better than any decal would of looked.

Thank you. Revell is giving maual hot to cut decal for better adhesion but...well...I've decided to not give it a try :)

On 5/4/2020 at 6:15 PM, Nev said:

I never knew that there was a 1/24 Huey out there.  It may be from the 60s, but you've detailed her such that it looks like a modern kit.

Thank you very much. Well, the age of this kit is pretty visible and it can't be compared to any modern, even 1/35 Huey kit. 

On 5/4/2020 at 10:08 PM, russ c said:

Excellent Huey and nice touch with the surf board!

Thanks. Surfboard was a must :)

• Like 1

Hi Artoor, very, very nice build, but a few helpful comments, as I flew the Huey for 13 years.

This is a cross between the B and the C model.  To make a B, just add two antennas to the nose and put in a nose mounted pitot tube.  

The mast is correctly painted steel, but the pitch change links, damper link tubes and stabilization bar are painted neutral Grey.

Lighter green should be on top of the aircraft and darken as you go down the sides.

The dust boot on the mast should be red.

The 174th never used the quad M-60s and 7 shot 2.75 in rocket pods.  They used the min-guns and 7 shot rocket pods.

The instrument panel would be neutral grey with black dials.

The 174th Assault Helicopter Company had the "Colegate Smile" extend beyond the pilot's door after 1966.  The Tiger shark paint job was actually adopted and given permission for use by the original Flying Tigers!  Bust still a very nice job!

Oh, even though Duc Pho was near the beach, the unit Safety Officer would never let a surfboard near a Huey for fear it would fly off and hit the tail rotor!  But a nice touch. 

IMG_1494

Edited by CMSCHLOM