A Hangar you say.....

Yes @TonyW the local QD store has large cans white automotive primer at £1.99.  Have used it quite a lot for light primer on models.  I get through a fair amount of grey primer too.  Useful on large jobs like the 1/48 Hercules.

Got all 11 ridge sections attached now.  The roof is going to stay in a 6 / 5 split.  I have clad the first ridge and started the second.  Only another nine & a bit to go!  The Humbrol rattle can is just for scale

mJmN58J.jpg

• Like 3

• 2 years later...
29 minutes ago, Mancunian airman said:

Bump

just wondering if you ever finished this and have some photos to show the end result  ??? . . . 

Ian

Er, no! Still much as you see it.  Last year I just didn’t get the time & the weather needs to be good as I can’t set it up anywhere inside.  I nearly got the parts out again this week.  However I did build a smaller hangar - the QRA shed - so that kept me busy for a couple of months.  This, along with my vacform Shackelton and my scratch build F27 are in the ‘really must get back to that’ pile!

l6FhLZq.jpg

• Like 2

Well that looks good

Nearby RAF Binbrook had a QRA shed which I took a number of photo of, I would, as I'm sure others would too, like to see a few more pics of your QRA shed build  . . . . 

Ian 

• Like 1

I thought I had done an RFI but I don’t think I did!  It’s on my HAS thread but this is how it looks

vbmEJfl.jpg

Both bays have lighting and interior detail

NO62Vv2.jpg

It’s based on the one at Leuchars as there are lots of good photo on line.  The crew building is again Leuchars, with the Binbrook one being different and the Wattisham one being on the other side

HIsGkCD.jpg

Works with both Lightnings and Phantoms

JfT95Bt.jpg

10jyISW.jpg

qDWbAcu.jpg

Turned out ok I think

• Like 7

Got the parts down today.  Would have been better to build this in mdf.  It’s very warped.

RqLyAGy.jpg

I am wondering whether I should try building a better scale end & doors, or carry on with the idea of using up scrap card

• Like 2

I tried straightening out the card and literally screwed the parts together to see how it would go.  I got the other hangars out while I was at it.  I do think the Type C is just too big to keep flat when disassembled and too big to keep assembled.  And way to big to build in the kind of detail I would like

CoVs0yC.jpg

You get an idea as they are all 1/48 and the HAS isn’t small!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

MDF may have been a better choice of construction but as you say, the size makes it difficult when it comes to storage, a real shame  . . . 

Oh definitely.  I only tried cards as I had a surplus of it & time on my hands.  I was even wondering about using some laminate flooring boards - the click together type.

I do like your buildings, they add a lot to the aircraft displays.

I have absolutely no idea if the cost would be practicable, but have you considered designing the building in something like Sketchup and then getting it laser cut into MDF?  Some libraries now have design and build facilities with laser cutters, 3D printers etc...  Just a thought.

Matt

17 minutes ago, Mattlow said:

I do like your buildings, they add a lot to the aircraft displays.

I have absolutely no idea if the cost would be practicable, but have you considered designing the building in something like Sketchup and then getting it laser cut into MDF?  Some libraries now have design and build facilities with laser cutters, 3D printers etc...  Just a thought.

Matt

I did wonder about that for things like window frames, but really I will need a place to set up something this size and make it stable.  I think even the nicest laser cut or 3D printed parts will get damaged or warped if it can’t be assembled and displayed.  I haven’t finished with this though - but I also haven’t decided what next to do.  Busy with a kit at the moment and there is always a queue of jobs to get on with - couple of vehicles, a vacform kit, couple of scratch build idea and the stash of unstarted kits.  It’s nice to pick something up when you feel like working on it.

An alternative to cardboard is a poly sheet that I obtained from the garden centre  . ...

Poly-Carb-sheet.jpg

I built a T2 hangar and it took no longer than an hour to cut out the pieces . . .

]Poly-carb-sheet-2.jpg

Being a form of plastic makes it easy to glue and I used strip of wood to make the frame sturdy  . . .

Poly-carb-sheet-3.jpg

I made up the roof and doors from the one sheet . . 

Poly-carb-sheet-4.jpg

I even managed to put some structure inside that was glued to the side wall . . .

Poly-carb-sheet-5.jpg

Its a fairly cheap purchase and easy to work with, I cut the pieces with a stanley knife . . . .

Just worth thinking about if you want something lightweight and easy to carry/move about 

In fact I had enough on the one sheet to build a smaller hangar . . . windows cut out on three sides so all things are possible

PRE-War-hangar-5.jpg

best of luck 

Ian 

• Like 1