A Hangar you say.....

If you weren’t already aware, Scalescenes do card buildings for model railways but also a scratch builders selection of brick paper, tiles, doors and windows, it looks like you may have some of their stuff in one of your posts above. 

23 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

If you weren’t already aware, Scalescenes do card buildings for model railways but also a scratch builders selection of brick paper, tiles, doors and windows, it looks like you may have some of their stuff in one of your posts above. 

Hi yes I still have a oo gauge railway & used to make lots of card buildings.  So basically this is a scaled up take on that.  I have paid for & downloaded Scalescenes stuff from their scratch builders yard before.  Do you remember when they used to have a free shed building on their site?  I downloaded that & adapted it in to a very long she’d for my railway.  Great that you pay to download & then print as many as you like.  And to whatever scale you want.  So I worked out to go from 1/76 to 1/48 I needed to enlarge x1.6.  So that’s what I did to get my papers sorted

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bar side said:

Hi yes I still have a oo gauge railway & used to make lots of card buildings.  So basically this is a scaled up take on that.  I have paid for & downloaded Scalescenes stuff from their scratch builders yard before.  Do you remember when they used to have a free shed building on their site?  I downloaded that & adapted it in to a very long she’d for my railway.  Great that you pay to download & then print as many as you like.  And to whatever scale you want.  So I worked out to go from 1/76 to 1/48 I needed to enlarge x1.6.  So that’s what I did to get my papers sorted

There was also a freebie in some magazines. I like the versatility of the kits and the opportunity to create endless buildings from one download. Many of the kits can be adapted to military airfield uses. 
I watch your hangar builds with interest. 

They certainly can @Rickoshea52 but not a lot of people look at airfield buildings.  That’s why I think it makes your scene look better if you include something people don’t expect.  It makes them stop & ask if it is a model.  I also like adapting them so you don’t look at a Metcalfe kit & go ‘I see you got the large station kit then?’

Brick papering?  More like wall papering.  Lower half covered.  I didn’t line the sheets up with gutter drops between windows as I may cover one side with a lower row of attached offices.  Mind you that run took six A4 sheets of paper.  And I still have the top & between the windows to do

TpOnzuH.jpg

• Like 1

Finished off the brick paper on one side today.  May add a course of bricks below the windows.  The windows the self may well stay opaque with some framework added.  Though making frames for 20 windows does appeal...

bHMZdqM.jpg

Starting to work as a back scene already.  Bit of grass, couple of model rail trees, could start to look believable

It doesn’t get any smaller though

5UPuTwK.jpg

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Rickoshea52 said:

How did you achieve the concrete floor?

That’s an old thin mdf sheet painted with white emulsion & some black poster paint mixed in.  If you leave it not fully mixed you get lighter & darker patches & streaks that look more realistic.  Dust with a car spray black & white then draw the lines on with an HB pencil.  Can use cardboard but it will probably curl up at the corners from the water based paint

• Like 1

If you need any pictures or any info for the insides or out, just ask im sat in one of these types of hangars as i type this at Benson. Looking really good so far, and i thought your HAS was mad enough

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Motley said:

If you need any pictures or any info for the insides or out, just ask im sat in one of these types of hangars as i type this at Benson. Looking really good so far, and i thought your HAS was mad enough

Cheers Motley. Been on the back burner while I try to move on the Herc I am building at the moment.  Any windows & doors pictures would be good.  Ideally straight on rather than at an angle so I can print them to scale.  Yep, this one is big - could fit a couple of HASes inside it.

• Like 1

Nice dry day with little wind.  So time to put the sides of the hangar together & cut out the start of the roof.

Yk0qJWE.jpg

This is the 1/48 Herc that I have been working on as well.  Doesn’t look very big next to the Hangar

Next step will be either a load of brick paper outside or start to shape up the 11 roof sections.  For added strength there will be a walkway width gap around the roof edge and between each roof ridge.  Might not be prototypical but the card will require it.  And the roof ridge sections will be triangular prisms with the edges shaved off as per Wattisham, not the straight ends seen at Mildenhall.

MGib1IC.jpg

That is an almost full length fence panel behind by the way

jaHghqD.jpg

With my usual hard standing panels and the Hawk again.  Does make a nice back scene

kz7bQpW.jpg

• Like 3

Been look at the roof this evening.  I have added reinforcement strips around the base of the flat roof.  Then looked at forming the roof pitched sections.  As I said I am going to leave a gap around the edge & between each pitched section, again for strength.  And the shape will be as per the Wattisham sloped end roof sections.

So something like this

dJwhw6q.jpg

bbQtiq4.jpg

Just another 10 with inside structure too

rZYW0ld.jpg

And my Herc parked outside.  Currently testing the electrics so wires everwhere

aSaMBZh.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
16 minutes ago, James G said:

Great work! I just got a laser-cut HAS kit from Poland so will take inspiration from this and your other threads.

Laser cut HAS sounds good is that one of the GPM sets?

Trouble with the Type 2 is I need to set it up outside & it’s wet & windy so been working on my Herc instead

Just discovered this thread. Really impressive stuff! Would be impressive enough in 1/72, but to think this is 1/48! Regarding detailed photos etc, I'm a member of the Airfield Research Group, and there is loads of useful stuff about airfield buildings etc on their forum, so if you needed anything in particular, I can have a look. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted, but just thought it might be useful.

Really like the idea of constructing airfield buildings myself (though my scale is 1/72 ). I've seen the aforementioned HAS kit and am seriously tempted. I got some scratchbuilt balsa airfield buildings off eBay a few years ago, one of which is the front of a T2 hangar (its only a couple of inches deep), and they do make great backdrops.

9 hours ago, danbuoy said:

Just discovered this thread. Really impressive stuff! Would be impressive enough in 1/72, but to think this is 1/48! Regarding detailed photos etc, I'm a member of the Airfield Research Group, and there is loads of useful stuff about airfield buildings etc on their forum, so if you needed anything in particular, I can have a look. Apologies if I'm preaching to the converted, but just thought it might be useful.

Really like the idea of constructing airfield buildings myself (though my scale is 1/72 ). I've seen the aforementioned HAS kit and am seriously tempted. I got some scratchbuilt balsa airfield buildings off eBay a few years ago, one of which is the front of a T2 hangar (its only a couple of inches deep), and they do make great backdrops.

The Airfield Research Group website looks interesting.  Just try to figure out what you can see by registering.  I guess you also know about sites like this one.  Been chatting to the guy who runs it on FB.  There are lots of good pages on there too

http://www.ukairfields.org.uk/

Have you had a look at the Spangdahlem 1/48 model on ARC forums? Philippe is a nice guy & his set up is stunning.  Mind you he is building it in a museum 

On 6/11/2020 at 5:59 PM, bar side said:

Laser cut HAS sounds good is that one of the GPM sets?

Trouble with the Type 2 is I need to set it up outside & it’s wet & windy so been working on my Herc instead

Yes, the GPM one: https://sklep.gpm.pl/en/modele-kartonowe/samoloty/1/72/shelter-on-airplane1/72-cut-with-laser-model nice kit!

I do like the look of the tower & blister hangar - they look quite US post war airfield.  Got to share how your HAS comes together

Edited by bar side

Just about finished the Herc, pending some posed pictures, so time to start a smaller build and do some bits for the hangar.  I only had one roof ridge section, so now I have 4!

abCIsHT.jpg

just another 7 to make.  Going to get through a lot of card

• Like 2

More roof ridge making today.  Not looking forward to covering all of these & building the internal structure

XnCwfND.jpg

Still one to assemble & two more to make but this is in position on the roof.  Ultimately I think I will have to make the roof as two sections simply due to its size.  The ridges will give it some strength & some reinforcing underneath.  You may notice the ridges stop short of the edge of the roof.  I am sure that isn’t prototypical but again it is to allow some strengthening

EpKSsuT.jpg

HuHx0Wm.jpg

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Got the Stanley knife and the hot glue gun out today.  I have cut the roof almost in half as it is just too big to store anywhere.  Well 6/11 and 5/11 to be fair.  I have cut the spaces under the roof sections out & started gluing on the assembled parts.  I trebled the card thickness under the strips in between & with the ridge sections on the whole thing is more stable.

From the top

9ty0lTG.jpg

Underneath

2AIXLBK.jpg

In place

O4Fx6Kg.jpg

The plan is to paint the flat areas of the roof grey / black and then the roof ridges will get some grey tiles paper glued over it.

Inside I would like to cover the surfaces with plain white copier paper.  Then look at adding some structure.  I got a set of card drinking straws for the main cross beams, maybe linked by cut up wooden food skewers.  Got to be bulk materials at a cheap price.  Can you imagine the cost of nice Evergreen strut?

jFAfRRt.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I was wondering how the hangar would look with some Phantoms in

9OY7Pbg.jpg

think it will look good once more is done

ztK8Ipz.jpg

2SDOhmG.jpg

I started on the other part of the roof today but it’s too hot.  I swear the hot glue gun glue wouldn’t set & previously done bits were coming apart!.  Might get more done when the weather cools down next week.

• Like 2

The roof ridges for the second half are done & need attaching.  

tN2AFh0.jpg

Now I was wondering about the inside colour.  I was going with white.  The cheap option would be to paint with white emulsion, but the water tends to make the cardboard warp as it dries.  Two other options - car spray primer.  Quite cheap & less water to warp things.  Or cover with white A4 sheet.  Covers all of the joins & hides a multitude of sins.  But will take ages & loads of Uhu glue.  Maybe a combination of A4 paper and car spray.

I've been using Rustolium spray cans lately. They seem expensive but they contain a ton of pigment. One can will go a whole lot further than just about any other spray can I've used. Going in the other direction, in a local DIY/bits and bobs shop, they do no brand spray paints at £2.00 a can. It's smelly and a bit hot to use on plastic but boy is it cheap! Maybe worth trying similar outlets near you?

Tony.