Revell 1/72 Avro Shackleton MR3

11 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

That's a beautiful job!  What a project that must've been!

Thanks very much. It was a pretty straight forward build, it took about 6 weeks to complete, quick for me!

9 hours ago, Greg Law said:

Very nice builds. I like the water staining below window effect.

Cheers Greg.

Just a little dark grey pastel chalk applied with a brush.

38 minutes ago, Rabbit Leader said:

That’s lovely, we all love a good Shack and that MR.3 is stunning. Shame to hear about the canopy, I’ll have to check mine to see how it looks. Nice to see it parked to another well built AEW.2.

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks Rabbit Leader.

I expect yours will be the same. I requested  replacement sprues from Revell, which they sent quickly, unfortunately the replacement had exactly the same marks in the same places.

I'm guessing its more to do with the tooling rather than poor molding. Lots of polishing and dipping required I'm afraid. 

gazza l

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Rabbit Leader said:

Shame to hear about the canopy, I’ll have to check mine to see how it looks. 

Another thing to check your kit for is shrinkage on the upper surfaces of the upper wing halves above the front of the flap bays.  It seems to vary from kit to kit but was quite marked in some of the first to hit the streets.  I dithered about whether to make a complaint and finally decided I couldn't live with the dips but would undoubtedly make a highly visible mess of the rivet detail trying to fix them with Mr Surfacer.  I did complain and received 2 replacement parts in return: still not quite perfect but near enough.  So don't stew in silence: Revell can do them right.

BTW, lovely model, @gazza l.  I especially like the subtleties of the weathering in the white fuselage top.

Edited by Seahawk
  • Thanks 1

They are both brilliant,...... really, really nice. I started the AEW.2 and the fuselage parts just would not fit together,...... I may have just bought a `bad un'??

I`d like to built the MR.3 and hope Revell do an MR.2 to accompany the AEW.2 at some stage? The surface detail looks far superior to the Airfix kit. 

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1

On 5/3/2020 at 12:30 AM, gazza l said:

Thanks very much Orion.

The tube is made by Albion alloy and is set No SFT 2 which contains 0.3/ 0.5/ 0.7/ 0.9mm diameter brass tube, Each of these tubes slides into the other,

very useful for hydraulic jacks, gun barrels etc.

I kept the plastic butt of the guns a just replaced the barrels using two different sizes of tube.

Hope this helps, gazza  

hello gazza,

Much appreciated information. This prevents from ending up with the wrong items.

Regards, Orion.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

A very fine pair - well done on achieving such fine finishes on both - have you had enough propeller-blade-therapy yet?? You must be doing those in your sleep!

Thanks very much.

I'm a bit weird, I like doing fiddly things like painting the props. In fact I had to do them twice because

I mistakenly painted them in the red/white colours, not correct to this aircraft... complete rub down and repaint.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments.  gazza l

Lovely job indeed. Looks like it's been busy and well used but nicely understated. Excellent!

• Thanks 1