1/700 SMS Lützow Flyhawk

Thanks, that’s useful,

I’m just wary about me gluing it together, I sure it would have glue blobs everywhere which wasn’t really the look I was going for!

Guy

On 11/05/2020 at 10:40, bismarck builder said:

Chewbacca

thanks for the quick reply i am thinking of the size below 

200w x 500l x 200h mm

what do you think

cheers

gary r

Gary,

Sorry for the delay in response.  Haven't had much chance to get onto BM this week.

Obviously the size of the perspex wholly depends on the size of the base and the style of the base.  A lot of modellers tend to use picture frames in which case the outer dimensions of the glass will have to match that.  Whilst that might work for aircraft, the very nature of ships being long and thin means that there aren't as many options for picture frames so you're probably looking at a bespoke size.  These days I always aim to put mine at a diagonal simply because I think it takes away the "posed" nature of the vignette; others may disagree.  If you're just placing the model directly on the base, say polished wood with no seascape, then in line probably works best. 

Either way, to avoid it looking like an afterthought, you probably want to make the base 15-20% longer than the model.  If on the diagonal, I would take that same extra distance that you have added forward and astern and add it to each side beyond the widest diagonal point.  Hopefully the image below shows what I mean.  This is based on my 1/350 BULOLO which is 358 mm long.  I added 70 mm to that for the base board length, turned the model through 10 deg and then added 35 mm beyond the diagonal widest points.  To further avoid the "staged" look, the model is then slightly offset (the image doesn't show that stage as it was getting too complicated).

49903645343_84816b05ce_c.jpg

As for height I would add about 10% above the highest mast.  So again taking BULOLO as the example, her highest mast is the foremast which is 125 mm high, the cabinet will be 140 mm

Edited by Chewbacca
  • Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Just discovered this one Guy, yet another of your superb builds. Everything about it says quality build but like one of the comments above, I really love the detail on the boat tier decks!

Do keep giving us more, as these are all very inspiring indeed!

Terry

• Thanks 1