1/700 SMS Lützow Flyhawk

Evening all,

Just finished the Lützow, big learning curve for me and many lessons learnt. 1/700 is a brutal scale to work with and even more unforgiving in macro photos! But it’s also a great scale, particularly with kits of this quality.

Main cock up was right at the end, the torpedo net got a bit wavy with handling. In my defence it’s insanely thin. Once the attachment points were cut it instantly curled up like one of those mood telling fish that you get in Christmas crackers! Still fine, I was just a bit heavy handed after that. 

At the beginning of the build thread I had been looking at Dai Sasahara’s sublime 1/700 models and said ‘How hard can it be?’ Well, the answer to that is bloody hard!

Thoroughly enjoyed the journey though and was wondering what to build next and in what scale? I’ve just started a quick aircraft build to give my poor eyes a break.

Anyway, here she is... Please chip in with tips, critiques etc I want to get better.

Thanks,

Guy

6-A001-D6-E-C3-F4-48-D7-9-ED0-CD7-E590-B

5-BB66941-1276-4024-B043-9-EA9-CAF0-D686

2F2B22B1-985E-4411-B162-BA22F0CCFBA8.jpg

3147-B906-9-BB3-46-BA-9144-95-D04716739-

6-F26-FB2-F-7-CF4-4711-8-B90-03-AB4-AC5-

A3-D8-E547-6-A5-D-45-C9-B055-C24-CEB2-D8

F70-DC030-AD8-E-459-D-948-A-B956-EA06-FC

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 43

I'm not sure what's more impressive, the quality of your build or speed with which you have finished it: the detail in boat tier is a work of art in itself.

Edited by Richard E

Hello Guy,

A really stunning built.

You are approaching with big steps to Dai Sasaharas quality!

From the pic´s there is no difference! The difference lays on the Ships themselves - the IJN pagoda battleships 

are the exact opposite to the clean lines of these German battlecruisers.

Maybe you can set the model on a glass plate, painted from the bottom with a grayish green-gray-

like laying on Wilhelmshaven roads at a mooring buoy.

I have to visit my glazier to look for the cathedral glass, i will contact you if i found one

matching 1/700 scale.

Regards 

Andreas

Edited by Andreas.R
text

Gidday Guy, I can re-iterate Richard's and Andreas' comments above, plus add "truly exquisite". Excellent model of a very graceful warship. I want one too, I want one too! 🙂

Regards, Jeff.

Thank you Jeff, Andreas & Richard,

I always feel a bit disappointed at the end of a model as it’s never quite the show stopper I had envisioned! But your comments do inspire me to keep at it!

I was going to get a base for this one Andreas, I was thinking either your Kathedral glass or just a plain glass/ acrylic base, but I think I can do better so may wait for the next one. I do agree, the base is surprisingly important to how the model ends up looking. I would be grateful if you could keep a look out for me re the Kathedral?

Richard, speed doesn’t equal quality! I try to slow down but I really can’t!

Thanks again,

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Like 1

I'd just echo what others have said.  Incredible quality and at a speed most of could only ever dream of!  That would have taken me a minimum of 3 months and probably 6.  :clap:

Well you slipped this one in on the QT

Your build speed and quality of details is amazing Cracking job there Guy :yes:

beefy

10 hours ago, Gisbod said:

Thank you Jeff, Andreas & Richard,

I always feel a bit disappointed at the end of a model as it’s never quite the show stopper I had envisioned! But your comments do inspire me to keep at it!

I was going to get a base for this one Andreas, I was thinking either your Kathedral glass or just a plain glass/ acrylic base, but I think I can do better so may wait for the next one. I do agree, the base is surprisingly important to how the model ends up looking. I would be grateful if you could keep a look out for me re the Kathedral?

Richard, speed doesn’t equal quality! I try to slow down but I really can’t!

Thanks again,

Guy

What are the dimensions of the base Cathedral glass you need?

Please quote in cm

thanks

Andreas

I agree with @Andreas.R it needs a simple seascape just to finish the scene off particularly as it would help put the anti-torpedo nets into context if the ship is depicted moored to a buoy.

Look forward to seeing your next project

Edited by Richard E
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Andreas.R said:

What are the dimensions of the base Cathedral glass you need?

Please quote in cm

thanks

Andreas

Andreas, it’s 40 x 12cm approx 

Thanks again all. You’ve inspired me to build another 1/700 kit 😁

Guy

Edited by Gisbod
  • Thanks 1

Guy - That is a  beautiful model - your modelling is so precise and neat, those nets are wondrous!

And ......The sagging in the rigging is top notch.  Is that alloy wire or simply lycra that you've bewitched?

Rob

@robgizlu Thanks Rob,

I managed to get hold of some Modelkasten 0.047mm rigging wire. It really is wire too. Metal coated apparently- on a reel but comes off straight with a natural sag! 

Guy

ps I’ve just ordered the Flyhawk Special edition HMS Prince of Wales and wooden deck. Hopefully I can correct my errors in this kit...

Brilliant work there Guy, and as for the speed you've built it at... :worthy:

Base sounds good idea tho...

Pow, sounds like fun. :beer: :popcorn: needed methinks!

Geoff 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Gisbod said:

What does everyone use for display cases? I know trumpeter do some? For 1/700.

It's not that difficult to make a custom display case from Perspex: there are quite a few on-line tutorials which should show you the basics: I've made couple in the past and the most challenging parts are using the right glue to assemble the case and then polishing out the joints.

Hello Guy,

I have bought the Trumpeter showcase - it looks cheap somehow,

but is relatively expensive. 

You can also build your own with from pre-cut plexiglass panels- it costs not more then Trumpeters!

Here Trumpeters case:

spacer.png

spacer.png

and the selfmade:

spacer.png

Cheers

Andreas

spacer.png

• Like 1

Up until now, I have always made mine from glass because I couldn't find anyone locally who could cut the perspex to the correct size and when i tried cutting it myself on the one that I did do in plastic, the edges were horrible.  There was a local glazier who would cut 4mm glass to my exact size and polish the edges for less than the price of any of the commercially available plastic cases so that all I had to do was put the box together with glass glue.  But I've since found a UK based online perspex supplier who will laser cut to my specifications.  Far cheaper than glass but the postage is horrendously expensive so I am waiting until I have a sensible sized order or the delivery charges end up being twice the cost of the perspex.  I'll be putting in my first order for the 5 models I've completed (or am about to complete) in the past 2 years so I can let you know how I get on in a few weeks if you're still looking.

• Like 1

On 08/05/2020 at 11:31, Gisbod said:

I’ll have to ask around local glaziers and see what I can come up with...

For something that size you should be looking at something like £12-14 I would have thought for the glass.  Do make sure though that you get him to polish the edges; they should have have a polishing wheel that can do that very easily.  Then B&Q glass glue to put it all together.  Just make sure that you do it on a sunny day as the glue needs UV to cure and on dull grey days it can take an age.

• Like 2