DeHavilland DH110

As per: 

Built as the ill fated WG236 using a donated 1/72 Novo FAW2 Sea Vixen revised by reshaping the cockpit, 3D printing a new nose, fuselage plug and parts of the booms. Few odds and sods of sanding, reshaping and scratching elsewhere. Decals cobbled together from spares

49845803251_43f65ff15d_b.jpg

49845834046_59c59a6711_b.jpg

• Like 16

Nice. I remember trying the same thing but the other way round as a kid. No kits of Sea Vixens but the old Frog DH110 was available. With the aid of a photo and the Observers book of Military Aircraft and balsa and dope I carved out a new nose and added missiles and called it a Sea Vixen. 

Yours on the other hand is definitely a DH110. Lovely work

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, keith in the uk said:

Great result , don't see the DH110 that often , is this the plane that broke up in mid air at Farnbrough ?

Yes, this was the Farnborough Airshow disaster plane

5 minutes ago, JohnT said:

Yours on the other hand is definitely a DH110. Lovely work

Thank you, a bit rough and ready in places but hopefully capturing the look of the thing. I'd love to get a hold of the Frog version and see how they compare side-by-side

Lovely job!

I've not seen one modelled before.*

* Having said that my memory is so bad I'm surprised that I don't see Spitfire models as a novelty.

• Haha 2

4 hours ago, LostCosmonauts said:

Thank you, a bit rough and ready in places but hopefully capturing the look of the thing. I'd love to get a hold of the Frog version and see how they compare side-by-side

There is one on eBay and not too heavy price wise so far

looked for it out of curiosity to see if one was out there. If I recall it’s from the each fuselage half has a split pilots head moulded on top period. I think they got the shapes reasonably well though back in those days even without lidar.  

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Frog-De-Havilland-DH-110-Twin-Jet-Navel-Fighter-Plane-1-72-Model-Kit/143588682365

Edit. Had another look. Not quite the half heads. No cockpit recess and a panel gets glued in with pilot shoulders and head on top of it. Some room for modelling skills to be applied !

• Thanks 1

On 03/05/2020 at 13:18, JohnT said:

not too heavy price wise so far

£30 (plus postage) with a couple of hours to go so I think that’ll have to wait till another day. It isn’t like I don’t have a F.155 Fairey Large ready to print and a DeHavilland DH117 half drawn to keep me amused anyway already

• Like 1