Airfix Henschel 123.***Finished******

Hi Steve,

If it is any help I have the 1976 orange flashed boxing of this in my stash and can probably let you have some if not all of the decs - I have a large stock  of AM Luftwaffe decals and can print unit markings anyway. They are the "matt" variety which I have found "delicate" in the past and as it was second hand I have no idea how they were stored. They look alright albeit slightly yellowed, and I have just experimented with the big name dec. It did crack but was recoverable, and I think that was mostly my fault as I may not have soaked it quite enough so there was a lot of "drag" on it as I slid it off the backing paper - a coat of varnish is recommended though.

Let me know if interested.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, PeterB said:

Let me know if interested.

Many thank's Pete,I think I can sort it from what I have at hand I have 2 photo's of early "A"'s in the scheme shown,one with no unit marking's applied

but a red tail band and swastika the other with tactical marking's I can cobble together.

• Like 2

Hi folk's I have to admit by last night I was a bit Hmmm about these after posting progress but today after painting and fitting the engines(running a wash

into them too) and giving the camo'ed areas a final coat and a tidy with a fine brush much happier.

20200519_145241

• Like 15

On 20/05/2020 at 22:18, JOCKNEY said:

Love these Steve

Always wanted to build this kit and bizarrely never managed it, definitely something i need to change. 

cheers Pat 

Thank's Pat,I glossed them today for decalling and found suitable tail marking's for the red band on the tail,I'll post a photo in the morning.

• Like 1

Here they are as of this morning folk's,main decal's on just a few stencils to do,time to fit the upper wing properly now as the crosses were worn on

the lower surface and are in place.

20200522_105247

• Like 11

Morning folk's,a troubling thought turned into reality with these two,I noticed the big gap between the upper wing and fuselage struts while popping

them on for  those last photo's but thought once I fitted them properly I could sort it,well no despite the fact the main struts fit perfectly no way could

I close the gap I was in danger of breaking the wing so gave up.Drastic measures meant simply cutting off the struts glueing the wing on and now

having to scratch some new strut's so beware if you buy the new release of this kit.

20200523_115148

• Sad 5

Evening folk's,with the welcome distraction of the Blitzbuild over I had an hour to spare so added the last pieces to these two,next stop the spray 

booth( Walkers crisp box).The scratch built struts worked out fine and the bombs were hung once matted only the windshields to add and the small

bits of rigging.

20200525_195449

• Like 9

Very nice 'Angelitos' (its Spanish Civil War nickname - 'little angel' in Spanish - given to it by its pilots, certainly not those on the receiving end of its attacks!)! Always one of my favourite aeroplanes (I have about half a dozen kits of various makes still to build, having already built three of four of the little beasties). Hmmm - time to dig mine out and have a butchers...

Regards,

Jason

Edited by Learstang
  • Like 4

Hi folk's got these two finished this morning so pop them in the gallery tomorrow.hope to have the SM79 done for Sunday.

• Like 3

On 5/18/2020 at 9:23 PM, stevej60 said:

Evening folk's,last couple of days progress.Primed and brush painted the light blue undersides then today a few coats of the top colours.I found a scheme

for a pre-war Luftwaffe machine for the earlier 123A which meant removing the hump behind the cockpit and with filler re-shaped the area.

20200518_203842

Hi Steve,

Nice result as usual. Like you I thought that the A had no hump and that the B did, but I have just had my copy of William Green's "Warplanes of the Third Reich" out for something and had a look at the 123 entry. According to Green writing in or before 1970 when it was published, the only model to see service was the A., and production was stopped in 1938 as the Luftreichsministerium preferred the Ju 87. However, in Spain the 123 made a good name for itself, though apparently as a conventional ground attack aircraft as well as a dive bomber. Henschel proposed 2 new versions, the B with a more powerful engine driving a 3 bladed prop in a straight sided cowling without the cylinder bulges, and the C with 2 more guns as a ground attack machine. The C had an armoured backrest and the fairing (bulge) behind the cockpit. Under the circumstances neither were produced, but the "bulge" was retrofitted to existing A models Now I don't know if Green is correct, but pictures show early versions without the hump, and later versions with it so you have ended up with the right result anyway, and being tactful (sometimes) I would not have mentioned it otherwise. as there is nothing more infuriating than somebody telling you that you are wrong when it is too late to do anything about it! 

So now I know what to do if I decide to build mine as a Spanish version.

Cheers

Pete

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PeterB said:

So now I know what to do if I decide to build mine as a Spanish version.

Thanks for the info Pete,here's the inspiration for the early version note the rear wheel spat which I didn't replicate!

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/hs123.html

• Like 1

18 hours ago, stevej60 said:

Thanks for the info Pete,here's the inspiration for the early version note the rear wheel spat which I didn't replicate!

http://www.warbirdsresourcegroup.org/LRG/hs123.html

Some interesting reading there. Two things to note: I'm surprised the Germans did not buy (wheedle, coerce, steal) the Hs 123s that were still in Spanish service for use in WWII, and I would not be surprised if some of the few Hs 123s still in service in 1945 weren't re-equipped with bombs and used in the final days of the European War, this going unrecorded in the chaos. It is nice to see you had a go at the spat on the SCW 'Angelito'! Those two do look nice and show off two very different versions of what is an almost identical airframe!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

Great job with these Steve. Much better than my effort on this kit when I was a kid. I remember my propeller went round when I blew on it so this survived long term. 

Colin 

• Like 1