Ralph's Wee Mk VIII

I hit a snag right at the beginning of my Maltese spit, and I'll be working on this model while I try to find a way out of that (don't ask).

The 72nd Eduard kit needs no introduction, particularly since many others have already done a great job of showing the parts in the other threads on this GB.

I still haven't decided which version I'm going to build. It will be either the clipped wing American in light gray over azure, or the Burma/India theater machine in tropical scheme and light blue roundels.

The cockpit parts so far. I had some problems with the PE belts (I always do) and things now look a bit sloppy on the seat.

I really wish I could just get a set of PE buckles like they used to make.

IMG-20200502-115441131.jpg

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Oh I must... I must ? 

#217th rule of modeling: if a canopy falls on the floor and you can't see it, then it fell under the casters of the chair you have to back up in order to see where it landed. 

Gaddammit!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 3

3 hours ago, SoftScience said:

#217th rule of modeling: if a canopy falls on the floor and you can't see it, then it fell under the casters of the chair you have to back up in order to see where it landed. 

Gaddammit!!!

Eduard usually have spares on the canopy sprues, which piece was it ? If its the rear or windshield maybe vacuum canopy ? If its a main piece someone has them spare I'm sure. 

9 hours ago, SoftScience said:

Fuselage is going together fine. I had to put in the wrong gunsight as the real one pinged off my tweezers into a different dimension of space time

Luckily after several Eds, AZs and KPs I have a variety of spare gunsights to choose from.  Except it requires you to spot the missing gunsight before closing up the canopy...don't ask how I know!

• Haha 2

Great to see another of these superb Eduard kits being made and it looks, despite the etch issue, to be going together rather well.

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great to see another of these superb Eduard kits being made and it looks, despite the etch issue, to be going together rather well.

Take care and stay well.

Kind regards,

Stix

I replaced the etched harness with an item made from tape. I taped down the etched parts to a cutting mat, and the cut along the edges to get the same shape from Tamiya tape. I painted and glued it the replacement parts to the seat and cut out the few hardware bits from the PE part and glued them on. It doesn't look perfect when viewed from a few inches away, but I figure in 1/72 you shouldn't be doing that anyhow :)

• Like 2

And now the wings are on. I don't know if I was doing something wrong or whether it's the kit, but I ended up needing to add approximately 0.25 mm or so of shim between the root of the top and bottom wing halves to have the top wing sit without a small step above the roots. 

The black paint is just to check my fit.

I also added putty to the seem above the forward fuel tanks and a good deal of filler over the two halves of the the ventral part of the nose. 

IMG-20200504-213226627.jpg

IMG-20200504-213153243.jpg

It all looks a bit sloppy now, but will tidy up nicely.

• Like 1

Slow but steady progress. The fit of the upper nose panels was surprisingly poor. There is a lot of minute rivet texture detail on those pieces which is going to be lost.

IMG-20200506-112135923.jpg

I'm getting to the stage where I really need to make a decision on which version I'm building.

• Like 2

I've built as much as I can. It's time to make a decision. The pragmatist in me, who wants a representative cross section of camo types says do the CBI version, but my love of clipped wing spits says build the American hack.

Help me out, guys and gals.

IMG-20200507-215539877.jpg

• Like 2

Yes I've had that step at the root each time on the 1/72 Eduard.  A bit annoying as otherwise it all clicks together with barely any filler.  I'm doing the CBI one in 1/48 but was tempted by that US clipper.  The wing roots don't give the step on the 1/48, so something went wrong when they downscaled, otherwise i prefer the 1/72 kit.

Cheers

Will

• Like 1

CBI version it is. But the standard wingtips aren't fitting right. They are maybe a bit narrower? They look fine from this angle, but seen up front they're a bit strange. The port tip may need some more cleaning up.

IMG-20200510-000139646.jpg

Edited by SoftScience
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, SoftScience said:

CBI version it is. But the standard wingtips aren't fitting right. They are maybe a bit narrower? They look fine from this angle, but seen up front they're a bit strange. The port tip may need some more cleaning up.

IMG-20200510-000139646.jpg

I can kind of see it, it sort of steps back a little doesn't it ? I haven't had that issue yet ? 

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle

Topside camo now. Until I painted this, I never noticed how non-standard the pattern on this aircraft is. It kind of hurts my soul a little. :)

i

The green is Gunze RAF dark green with a few drops of flesh color. 

The dark brown is Vallejo's British Uniform Brown. I really like the shade for dark earth, but I HATE spraying Vallejo. It was a big pain in the butt. We'll see of any pulls up when I mask off the white theater stripes. I really need to figure out how to mix a similar shade from Tamiya or Gunze colors.

IMG-20200511-121908715.jpg

I do have some touching up to do below. In addition to some sloppy overspray. Some paint pulled up with the making tape, and one of the blasted wing tips came loose and cracked the filler that was blending it in. GaH!!!! This thing is going to fight me to the very end, I bet.

IMG-20200511-121947400.jpg

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

11 hours ago, SoftScience said:

I do have some touching up to do below. In addition to some sloppy overspray. Some paint pulled up with the making tape, 

Do you mind if I ask what primer you were using?

That's looking great in paint.

Sorry, I don't know about the stencils, but my guess is that they would not have gotten a new set, but this being Britmodeller, somebody who actually knows is likely to be along shortly.

On my 1/48 version I just went with the stencils on the underside as the grey was from the factory, but the brown was done in theatre to cover the ocean grey and they seem to have varied the green as well (to cover over the larger roundels?).  I found a photo of a newly repainted Mk.VIII being taxied out of an Indian MU, no sign of a stencil.

• Thanks 2