Airfix 1/72 237 OCU

1 hour ago, Harry Lime said:

Ask and yea shall receive! I was going to in

spacer.png

The raised areas on the lower surfaces of the rear jet pipes need to come off if doing any airframe prior to late 1983/early 1984 as these were part of the mods for Operation Pulsator. Britain deployed Buccaneers to Akrotiri to provide CAS to the British contingent of the UN force in the Lebanon as the situation on the ground worsened. 12 Buccaneers were modified to have chaff/flare dispensers attached in this location prior to being used in Op Pulsator, including XV361 that Airfix measured up for this kit. Other serials confirmed as having this mod (either by photo proof or written sources) include XV332, XX900, XX901, XV353 and XV352. Other serials I have found mentioned in relation to the Op Pulsator deployment include XV359, XW530, XZ430 and XX885, however, to date I haven't been able to confirm if these received the mod either by photo or in a written source. This also leaves at least two other serials to be confirmed. Helpfully, this area also appears very dark in most photos, so is very difficult to see with much clarity!

Sorry me again - do you mean the entire raised area, or just the rectangle within the slightly raised area?

Thanks

• Like 1

14 hours ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Thanks for the full explanation anyway, even if it has ruined my weekend 😉

No worries. And, errr, sorry for that! But isn't that the umpteenth Law of Modelling, that as soon as one commits to a certain course of action based on one set of references, along come the ones that disprove our decisions?! If I had a pound for every time that's caught me out.......  :lol:

Mark.

Edited by Harry Lime
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, TallBlondJohn said:

Already made a mess of one of the flare dispensers

If it's any consolation at all, on my FAA build of this I only managed to remove the upper wing and fuselage fairings cleanly. All the others needed a little filling and fettling afterwards. Those chaff/flare mounts are surprisingly awkward.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a while since I managed any time with this, but got a little work done today.

Since I'm doing this with a closed airbrake, I assembled the relevant parts. Boy did they look properly chunky! Compared with walk round images on here and elsewhere, the top and bottom 'fins' (for want of a better description) were clearly far too thick.

p?i=6adf31a8c09f251493e5ebc336017380

Only one thing for it, lop them off!

p?i=b10d46a3d70d95ca7ab9c1e9aa01699b

Just do it a bit more cleanly next time!

p?i=b448bdadbdab0d2a2720711451ffd09d

Thankfully there is putty to clean up the less than perfect moments in model making.

p?i=929d7ad700a9341f306171c558f5b536

Even using the expedient of utilising the 'fins' off the open airbrake parts leaves them a little overscale in thickness. In hindsight, I'd thin them down a bit after cutting them off but they'll do for now as I really don't want the faff of lopping them off again, cleaning up again and then cutting off new ones again.

In other news, the various plates/lumps etc. that need removing have been done and the exhausts have been added. Tomorrow's focus will be on the seats, so until then it's Goodnight from me!

Mark.

• Like 3