Italeri 1/72 Short Sunderland

Italeri 1/72 Short Sunderland MkIII, always wanted to build one of these. Nice kit, unfortunately the painting didn't go according to plan, initially started with Tamiya Flat White which thinned with Levelling Thinners lays perfectly, but ran out part way through and finished with Revell Aqua White. What a mistake that was. Totally ruined the finish.. spent days trying to sand it back and find the motivation to finish it, but it never really came back, then topped off with Ultimate Weathering Wash sticking to the gloss surface despite being fully cured and smooth.

Haven't added several aerials and rigging which I may add at a later date, but calling this one done before it ends up in the bin. Extremely frustrated. Didn't meet my expectations at all, but I guess with the current climate and worries an occasional unhappy build here and there is inevitable. Lots of lessons learnt on this one.

20200430-201208.jpg

20200501-191312.jpg

20200501-191349.jpg

20200501-191435.jpg

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

I think it looks great, but I can appreciate that you see it from closer up, and had a specific look you were trying to achieve.  These things sometimes pan out a little differently than what one wants.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Vinnie said:

I,m going through similar problems myself so I feel your pain. How did it go together? I've read differing reviews which has discouraged me from getting one.

Thanks all for the comments..

The kit is ok, I too read the reviews online which concerned me, but it's honestly not that bad.

For the price of the kit, the interior detail is lacking, the panel lines are unrealistic and the fit is a bit clunkly, especially the fuselage halves. The added PE fret doesn't really add anything. Infact, as someone who is inexperianced with PE, some of the most prominent exterior parts do not have a plastic counterpart, which unless you use the PE, then won't be replicated. All the attenna, exhaust mounts and elevator tabs are PE, all were added but all were knocked off at various stages so aren't replicated which is annoying. You're also required to drill out some of the fuselage windows which is insane as the ones filled are on all variants of the Sunderland anyway?

I gave the kit at few extra coats of primer to fill the lines which helped, but other than all the self inflicted paint problems its a nice kit.

• Like 1

Hi,

Gotta love a Sunderland!

As others have said, I can't see the paint problems from the photos.  It looks fine to me.  But I can empathise with your frustration given how much time you've obviously spent on it.

Rgds

Martin

• Thanks 1