A brace of 1/72 Airfix Hurricane 1s

I completed my small airfix Hurricane 1s, intended to represent BoB aircraft but restricted a little by the point that they're fabric-winged aircraft, so  I stuck to the kit markings. Could still have served in the BoB both being of 1940 vintage (I need to check the serial numbers at some point) but depicted as fairly war-weary.

Write up on WIP 

and ready for inspection:

49845852466_e0d8de3d5a_h.jpgApproaching to board by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49845315198_663379e71d_h.jpgSubject reference by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842721801_8911b840d0_h.jpgIMG_0305-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49843024822_d048a2ab9b_h.jpgIMG_0292-1edit by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49843025132_1d18f07c1f_h.jpgIMG_0287-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842180853_7881d4f463_h.jpgIMG_0286-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842724176_6e9f3cf582_h.jpgIMG_0273-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49843025957_6fa5571e6c_h.jpgIMG_0281-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842724951_cad6ba1895_h.jpgIMG_0264-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842724121_767ca59eed_h.jpgIMG_0267-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842725086_dd1ca78f73_h.jpgIMG_0250-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842182323_6d873eee61_h.jpgIMG_0245-1 by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

49842179438_735fbcfc27_h.jpgIMG_0297-1edit by Jonathan Hughes, on Flickr

Thanks for reading.

Jonathan

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

A real couple of beauties! I'm building that kit at the moment, for some reason mine has terrible fit issues where the front fuselage meets the wing, it's going to take me a while to get it looking anything like your two!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, F-32 said:

A real couple of beauties! I'm building that kit at the moment, for some reason mine has terrible fit issues where the front fuselage meets the wing, it's going to take me a while to get it looking anything like your two!

Hi... I'm trying to recall if I had similar issues. I do recall that getting the fuselage to close was tight - but the instrument panel needs to sit right in its slot - and one wasn't and forced everything apart - until I persuaded it to behave. I hope you overcome the problems and get it to sit right. For me - I dry fit several times before committing to glue - and then use the Tamiya thin so that I can dry fit and then seal it in place ... and hold. Good luck. I hope it gets there. 

4 hours ago, Bedders said:

Two little beauties. Lovely job on both.

Justin

Thanks... by no means anywhere near perfect, but as a representation of aircraft that might have taken part in the BoB, with the anniversary this year... they're good enough for me. 

Thanks

The problem I had with the wing was that the upper and lower halves did not match.  If I brought them together so that the tips and leading edges fitted perfectly, then the ailerons and gun openings didn't align.  Also, I suspect, there was a problem with fitting the fuselage between the upper wings.  If I aligned the un positions and the ailerons, then there was an overlap where the upper wing was too long and too wide, but the fuselage fitted in perfectly.  I ended up filing the upper wing to the outline of the lower one.  I am astonished that more people don't mention this.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, Graham Boak said:

The problem I had with the wing was that the upper and lower halves did not match.  If I brought them together so that the tips and leading edges fitted perfectly, then the ailerons and gun openings didn't align.  Also, I suspect, there was a problem with fitting the fuselage between the upper wings.  If I aligned the un positions and the ailerons, then there was an overlap where the upper wing was too long and too wide, but the fuselage fitted in perfectly.  I ended up filing the upper wing to the outline of the lower one.  I am astonished that more people don't mention this.

I had to do a lot of smoothing around the edges when I joined mine together, yes the outer edges didn't align but they blended out ok. Sorry you had such an issue.

5 hours ago, Jon020 said:

I completed my small airfix Hurricane 1s, intended to represent BoB aircraft but restricted a little by the point that they're fabric-winged aircraft, so  I stuck to the kit markings. Could still have served in the BoB both being of 1940 vintage

L1592/KW-Z was a BoB plane.   Later ended up in Training Command and is now in the Science museum.

VY-G was probably lost in France,  as depicted this is May 1940. Serial not known as a painted out for security. 

Good to see them finished.  

a few detail points, as you are obviously interested.

gun smoke, if seen, is usually underwing,  more from the spent shell slots, and is not great black streaks.  It also gets cleaned off. 

As you have done some oil streaking on the underside of KW-Z, and the streaks often seen on the gear doors. 

this shows why these happen

hurr1-10.jpg

leading to this

33880446008_88090151b9_h.jpg85 Squadron 52 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

once you know., you see it all the time.

Lots of photos in the Flickr link BTW

The exhaust stains are a bit much.  Again, these get cleaned off.   

Prop blades scuff on the back, not the front. 

wing roundel positions.  Your uppers are slightly too far out, the underwing, too far in..

There was a formula. Roundel centre is  1/3 of span in from wing tip

Hurricane, 40 ft pan, 480 inch,  /2 = 240 /3 = 80 inch.    

see https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane/Hawker-Hurricane-Camo-and-Marks_Page_19-960

Have a look at the entire monograph,  as it explains  A LOT.   

KW-Z fin flash goes over the front of the fin. Does mean you need to touch up with paint.

All minor detail points,maybe of use next time  

Builds are really well done,  crisp and tidy,  very well photographed.

:goodjob:

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Graham Boak said:

I ended up filing the upper wing to the outline of the lower one.  I am astonished that more people don't mention this.

That's my experience too and is why I've only built one of the four I've bought

John.

• Thanks 1

I agree with Troy's comments, however both are a satisfying builds of the Hurricane. What's not to like about the Hurricane? 

I really like them. Fabulous. 

• Thanks 1

Agree with Troy about gun stains as well (I’m guilty on my first few builds back in this hobby) but lovely pair of hurricanes and have the airfix mk 1 to build at some point. Lovely paintwork! 

• Thanks 1

They look great! I've made one of these, of the very earliest model with two blade prop. The fabric wings look pretty good I think, and I don't recall any issues of fit, but it was a while ago.

The wings were interchangeable, and quite easily swapped. I've read somewhere of a hurricane being flown with one metal and one fabric covered! If anyone can find out which plane and the markings that would make quite a fun frankenstein build with a couple of kits eh?

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Troy Smith said:

L1592/KW-Z was a BoB plane.   Later ended up in Training Command and is now in the Science museum.

VY-G was probably lost in France,  as depicted this is May 1940. Serial not known as a painted out for security. 

Good to see them finished.  

a few detail points, as you are obviously interested.

gun smoke, if seen, is usually underwing,  more from the spent shell slots, and is not great black streaks.  It also gets cleaned off. 

As you have done some oil streaking on the underside of KW-Z, and the streaks often seen on the gear doors. 

this shows why these happen

hurr1-10.jpg

leading to this

33880446008_88090151b9_h.jpg85 Squadron 52 by Сергей Кривицкий, on Flickr

once you know., you see it all the time.

Lots of photos in the Flickr link BTW

The exhaust stains are a bit much.  Again, these get cleaned off.   

Prop blades scuff on the back, not the front. 

wing roundel positions.  Your uppers are slightly too far out, the underwing, too far in..

There was a formula. Roundel centre is  1/3 of span in from wing tip

Hurricane, 40 ft pan, 480 inch,  /2 = 240 /3 = 80 inch.    

see https://boxartden.com/reference/gallery/index.php/Modeling-References/Camoflage-Markings/03-Hawker-Hurricane/Hawker-Hurricane-Camo-and-Marks_Page_19-960

Have a look at the entire monograph,  as it explains  A LOT.   

KW-Z fin flash goes over the front of the fin. Does mean you need to touch up with paint.

All minor detail points,maybe of use next time  

Builds are really well done,  crisp and tidy,  very well photographed.

:goodjob:

Thanks for the pointers Troy. Stains over the gear doors, yes should have added those; silly of me. Gun exhausts, and yes I realise I overdid the look... trying to overemphasize the hard worked aircraft more artistically than realistically, and I wasn't convinced about the staining from the shell chutes as they would be empty cases dropping only, maybe a few chips? I'd need to look again. Similar with the eng exhaust, yes more than there should be...  aiming for the overworked look. All in a bit of fun with these little builds. Yes, accurate they're not, but they almost portray what I aimed for, which is fine. But thanks for the gen on the aircraft too; didn't realise that this was the one in the iwm.

Roundells. Yes I did move the underside ones inboard. When I came to fit these, I thought that there was no way the thick decal would settle over the aileron control fairing... so yes, I moved it inboard a little. The upper ones were lined up as best I could to the kit instructions, but I wouldn't be surprised if that was wrong too; working on these in the evenings isn't ideal.

But cheers

Thanks for the kind comments

Edited by Jon020
Forgot to mention the roundells
  • Like 1