Billing Boats 1/30 Regina Yacht

Great job on the figures they remind me of my visits to Beamish museum when the staff dress up in this period 

the outside photos really show off the green looking stunning already 👍

beefy 

• Like 1

Hi Kev, BB provide thin mahogany strips for caulking which contrast really well with the Abachi planks. These strips are very brittle and vulnerable and applying them is a bit fiddly but once in place they look quite convincing . All in all I think this is one of BB's best kits and it's a pity it's no longer available.

Regards,

Arjan

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

An acquaintance was kind enough to sew the sails for me, it's a pity that I lack the necessary skills to do this myself. I fitted the main sail and top sail today :

zCZOU3Y.jpg

SpQKarh.jpg

On the subject of cutters, I noticed Sarik hobbies (UK) have some nice Bristol Pilot Cutter hulls and plans (1/15 and 1/12 scale) :

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/marguerite-bristol-channel-pilot-cutter-by-david-alderton-set/

I wonder if this company produces good models/hulls ?

Arjan

• Like 3

In the mean time I have installed all five sails. I simplified the rigging because some double pulleys in the BB drawings were simply not applicable.  Also I prefer rigging that can be easily adjusted (tightened) afterwards.

L1ayeLa.jpg

gDjizB4.jpg

9GsZFV1.jpg

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 5

Thanks gents. I'm a bit fed up with the whole rigging business so I will put this model on hold  before continuing with the sheets, stays and shrouds. Especially the latter fill me with dread 🙂

Regards,

Arjan

• Sad 1

Arjan it is a pity you're putting this on hold but I do that also when sometimes it just does not seem to flow in the build path you want

Hope the delay will not be for long it's looking stunning as it is now  👍

Stay Safe

beefy

Thanks Beefy, I have been working on this build quite intensively for over 10 weeks and then I usually get a bit fed up and wish to continue with another project. I'm going to continue with my 1/25 Privateer Cutter.  I have always liked Gaff rigged Cutters and perhaps I might buy a 1/15 glass fiber hull of a Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter. Nice video of a 1/10 rc version of the "Jolie Brise", a French pilot cutter :

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

Two pics of yesterday's outing. The helmsman is bracing himself against a killer wave 🙂 :

KBeIqlp.jpg

xr2AbqQ.jpg

To tell the truth, it was obviously absolutely wind still , the perfect conditions for this model.

By the way, I've bought two Bristol Channel Pilot Cutter hulls at Sarik Hobbies (my contribution to the British economy). One in 1/12 and one in 1/15 :

dorArMl.jpg

Arjan

Edited by Arjan
  • Like 3

A beautiful sight on the lake :thumbsup:

The skipper is obviously drunk, fancy allowing a rope to trail in the water. Poor seamanship :wink:

I look forward to seeing your progress on the Pilot Cutters a great favourite of mine. Which hulls have you bought?

Stay safe 

Kev

• Haha 1

Thanks Kev. I first bought the  1/12 "Katie" hull because I felt it wouldn't require a bulb keel :

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/katie-gaff-rig-pilot-cutter-by-david-alderton-set/

The quality of the hull is fine but the drawings are rubbish. Although this hull isn't based on a particular existing vessel I think it was at least inspired by "Breeze" which has a similar raked transom :

http://classicyachtinfo.com/yachts/breeze/

Unfortunately, there do not seem to be many pics of "Breeze" on the internet.

The second one I ordered was the 1/15 Marguerite hull :

https://www.sarikhobbies.com/product/marguerite-bristol-channel-pilot-cutter-by-david-alderton-set/

This hull is more manageable, more representative of a typical Pilot Cutter with her long counter stern and it's based on an existing vessel.  This also means there are a lot of reference pics to be found of both the original and the replica. I guess it will require a bulb keel though. Fortunately, the drawings that come with this hull are much, much better than the "Katie" ones. 

Regards,

Arjan

I thought I recognized the Margueritte,  very similar lines to the Mascotte  which I managed to build to just short of the sails. As you say plenty of reference pics and books particularly on rigging. 

There used to be a lot of RC Pilot cutters sailing in the south west and I've not seen any fitted a bulb keel. There is plenty of space in the hull for lead. Don't use lead balls ... to much air space. If you mark the waterline and put it in the bath you'll be surprised how much weight they will take. 

Just  a taste of my Cutter

P1010327

P8195531ss

P1010333

P1010329

P8195542s

Feel free if you think I can be of any help

Stay safe

Kev

• Like 4

Your model really looks stunning 👍. I could definitely use some advice since there seem to be preciously few build reports around on the internet, especially of the glass fiber hulls. This 1/8 build is one of the only ones I've managed to find :

http://www.modelshipbuilder.com/e107_plugins/forum/forum_viewtopic.php?7428

I will send you a private message shortly .

Regards,

Arjan

• Like 1