Spitfire Mk IX 1/48

Finished the Eduard spitfire finally.

Still searching for a nice easy to spray semi gloss/satin varnish to use. But used the humbrol gloss at a distance to try for a semi gloss look.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

• Like 11

59 minutes ago, chris148 said:

Nicely built,personally not keen on the varnished finish 

I agree. I’m struggling to find a nice varnish that’s as easy to spray as the humbrol one. I did use a tamiya semi gloss x35 for the first coat. Which looked lovely and left a nice smooth finish with a small shine, was a pig to spray with my airbrush aswell. But read it doesn’t set well on decals so didn’t want to risk it.

Beautiful result. I love the fade you've achieved on the upper surface camo. 

Call me old fashioned, but I still don't think you can beat Tamiya acrylic varnishes for a nice smooth finish. Saying that, I have recently tried Windsor & Newton Artist's acrylic varnishes through an airbrush at the recommendation of a friend, and I can't recommend them enough. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, daryl_five_zero said:

Beautiful result. I love the fade you've achieved on the upper surface camo. 

Call me old fashioned, but I still don't think you can beat Tamiya acrylic varnishes for a nice smooth finish. Saying that, I have recently tried Windsor & Newton Artist's acrylic varnishes through an airbrush at the recommendation of a friend, and I can't recommend them enough. 

Thanks! 
Yeah I did like the finish on the first coat. I don’t know true it is about the varnish reacting with decals? Also do you use thinner with them varnishes as mine was so thick it barely made it out of the airbrush!