RAF Sky Pirate , Gulf War Airfix XM533 Glenfarclas finished! 1/48

Coming together brilliantly. Modelling the air brakes open is easier than closed, but both ways will look great, just keep the faith, after all it’s the only way to get 1/48 Bucc 👍. Looking forward to the next instalment.

• Thanks 1

so, 

I did some more...

painstakingly slow of course :wall:

I tried a slightly different technique also here...

STPtSrx.jpg

fit is regular at best ...

.6MpggXQ.jpg

and also note that I did mount the filler piece (snapped of the kit in the box already)  on the wrong side of course...,

70acWh4.jpg

but in the end, it looks reasonable..to me at least ;)

jRUWzQO.jpg

gKaf39n.jpg

DNSkzv7.jpg

• Like 4

Si, without update * I managed to kind of glue one external tank... wow, newer knew such difficult things were out there :wall:

But I have a load out question. I am definitely not up to pirate speed yet....

Buccs were mostly lasing for the Tornados, no?

But there is the option to out obe KGB on the left(outer?) pylon, but no external tank then.... anything else? (Apart from jamming pod , Sidewinder and targeting pod?)

Thanks!

Is there a loadout chart matched to airframes out there?

Thanks a lot!

1 hour ago, exdraken said:

Si, without update * I managed to kind of glue one external tank... wow, newer knew such difficult things were out there :wall:

But I have a load out question. I am definitely not up to pirate speed yet....

Buccs were mostly lasing for the Tornados, no?

But there is the option to out obe KGB on the left(outer?) pylon, but no external tank then.... anything else? (Apart from jamming pod , Sidewinder and targeting pod?)

Thanks!

Is there a loadout chart matched to airframes out there?

Thanks a lot!

The external tanks were only used on the journey out and back.  I haven't got access to my notes for a couple of weeks so I'm not confident to say more than that but as I recall the load outs were the same by airframe but differed by time period ie before air supremacy and after, and after laser guiding pods that could be carried by the Tornados were delivered so the Buccaneers could target for their own LGBs.  After air supremacy was achieved there was no need for a sidewinder so 2 LGBs could be carried, but weren't always.  An LGB was carried On the left outer and a second on the right inner.  I'm sure those who know more than me will correct me if I'm wrong.

• Thanks 1

Agree with above, prior to this it was as follows-

Port outer - Aim-9L Sidewinder

Port inner - Pave Spike pod

Starboard inner - Slipper tank

Starboard outer - ECM pod.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muzz said:

Agree with above, prior to this it was as follows-

Port outer - Aim-9L Sidewinder

Port inner - Pave Spike pod

Starboard inner - Slipper tank

Starboard outer - ECM pod.

As @sanfrandragon said the slipper tank was only used on the ferry flights to and from the Gulf area, I got told this at a model show when I displayed a Gulf Bucc with the tank fitted. If the slipper tank was not fitted then an empty pylon was fitted. Later in the war when air supremacy was obtained, the Sidewinder on the outer pylon was removed and a LGB was fitted as the Buccs were able to laser designate for the Tornados, and then self laser for themselves. I do not know when but also the Buccs would carry 2 LGBs in these later stages of the war, with the second one being on the inner Stbd wing pylon.  If you look at my build for this GB you will see this latter set up.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Muzz said:

They definitely flew in this configuration for  a good few missions.....

https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-gulf-war-buccaneers-muharraq-bahrain-111209986.html

The main image linked to is an engine ground run. Note the open panel, Pave Spike pod still has the cover on it and the AIM-9L still has the seeker head cover on. In the image at the bottom of the page lining up for take-off with the Tornados, the slipper tank has been removed. It is also removed in the image of 'Fiona' sitting in dispersal after the start of hostilities. Never say never and all that, but I have yet to find an 'in theatre' image of a Buccaneer with the slipper tank fitted on an operational sortie. All images I have either on my hard drive or in books do not support the idea of the slipper tank being used whilst on ops. I would need to dig through the books, but I think one of them makes mention of the Buccaneers having sufficient internal tankage with the bomb bay tank fitted to negate the use of the slipper tank whilst in theatre.

Mark.

• Like 2

Good spot, as I did not notice that myself just posted it as it is as the information on this site is usually very accurate. Will have to inform the owner of the site about this.

thanks you all!,

many photos here of course as well: . but there are far fewer photos out there than I expected! some showing load-outs are scarce...

https://dstorm.eu/pages/en/gb/bucc.html

but

8 hours ago, Jabba said:

weapon loads from the dstorm.eu site:- https://dstorm.eu/pages/loadout/bucc.html

as mentioned above, this link does not show the 2 bomb load out.... but instead offers one with double Jamming pods on the outboard pylons... AN/ ALQ-101 (V 10)  (V10 means a different)

the most seen load out with Sidewinder and bomb load is not even featured...

safe bet for now is leaving the starboard inner pylon empty....as i most photos...

some updates in the meantime:

tail, wing spikes? and windshield mounted...., those parts really fit and look good :)

Y465Eh6.jpg

• Like 4

Excellent progress on the Buccaneer, Werner! 👍 The kit doesn’t look easy...

On 17/07/2020 at 23:19, exdraken said:

I did some more...

painstakingly slow of course :wall:

It happens with some kits, I’m always think that I’m really slow on modelling, especially when looking at other’s builds.

• Thanks 1

Just had a quick look at one of my books, and it shows a pic of a Bucc during "Operation Pulsator" with an AIM 9 on the port outer pylon, jammer on the starboard outer and 1000lb LGB on both the inners, but says "the sister plane would have one of the LGB replaced with a Pave Spike pod".

I believe the wing "spikes" as you call then are for the wide band homing system, whatever that is.

Pete

Edited by PeterB
  • Thanks 1

thanks everybody!

next question:

the Hasegawa Weapons set B has a pave spike pod, that is slightly more detailed, but: seems to be rotated 90°, at least the seeker part, and has a different rear end...

the Airfix seeker looks straight down.. wonder if that is only for in-flight/ in use, or permanent...

lDGvdoM.jpg

Airfix left, Hasegawa right

similar question reagrdsing the AN/ ALQ-101...

thanks!

• Like 1

On 7/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, exdraken said:

next question:

the Hasegawa Weapons set B has a pave spike pod, that is slightly more detailed, but: seems to be rotated 90°, at least the seeker part, and has a different rear end...

the Airfix seeker looks straight down.. wonder if that is only for in-flight/ in use, or permanent...

Hi Werner.

The Airfix pod is the correct one for the Buccaneer AN/ALQ 23E Pave Spike pod. The Hasegawa one is a different type, wrong orientation and no cooling grill at the rear.

As for the AN/ALQ 101 ECM pod, again I would go for the Airfix one........but. All kit manufacturers I have seen, mold the ECM pod with too long and narrow diameter to the upper part of the pod.

The most accurate AN/ALQ 101 pod I have seen is David J Parkins Flightpath offering. https://www.djparkins.com/product.php?productid=17811&page=1

Hope this helps.

Rob.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

thanks everybody!

the last 2 weeks were successfully spent on family holidays.... sorry, but the build only resumes now....

ready for painting I'd say!

NMkByxv.jpg

ootAPvy.jpg

F3dtfVh.jpg

cheers, 

Werner

now to figure out dessert pink in Revell colors..... :wall:

• Like 2

getting closer...

some details painted, a second coat applied, stores pylons painted... etc...

.5uh7eBt.jpg

RzaoVoZ.jpg

4naXN7m.jpg

zirVblF.jpg

4zYpfGv.jpg

ATOvQ2c.jpg

jvjJEeF.jpg

let me know what you think apart form snailbuccbuilder ;)

• Like 1