1/48 Mig-21 'Capeti' - Sky Hussars, Hungarian AF

This is the Academy Mig-21, Soviet Air Force and & Export boxing and their version of 'Red 1904' from the Sky Hussars Display Team, 1983, though I've tried to depict it as it stands (stood?) at the Szolnok Air Museum in Hungary.

The model is slightly fortunate to have made it this far as I had a bit of a mishap yesterday while putting the finishing touches on and dropped it. Luckily, most of the bits that fell off (nose pitot, chin antennas and rear landing gear and their doors were fairly easy to reattach and patch up, the only permanent casualty being the triple chin antennas, replaced with straightened wire and one of the main landing gear struts, which I heard crunch underfoot while looking for the other disconnected bits, so you'll notice one of the linkages isn't present!

Other than that, the build went pretty smoothly. The kit is a bit basic when compared to the Eduard Migs, but it goes together well. I added a bit of extra detail to the kit seats, namely a milliput cushion as well as some belts. I also used a spare Eduard decal for the IP. With the canopy closed, accuracy wasn't an absolute priority, so they'll do. The main colour is my own mix of Mr Color Aqueous while the cockpit is a mix of Mr.C's Emerald Green and Tamiya Sky Blue. I chose a Satin finish in the end.

Anyway, on to the pics. Please excuse the unpainted underside of the belly pylon - I was going to hang another tank but decided against it for now. I may do so at a later date but for now I just want to move on :D

3C19im.jpg

3C1LOd.jpg

3C4IFe.jpg

3C17vJ.jpg

3C1Yy2.jpg

3C1NcQ.jpg

3C1V4x.jpg

3C12FO.jpg

3C1e08.jpg

3C1Jxq.jpg

Thanks for stopping by!

Edited by Avgas
  • Like 23

Beautiful modelling!

I especially admire the way you've handled the panel joints – they're 'there' but just. A far cry from the stark black lines you sometimes see disfiguring otherwise perfectly good models.

Top notch work!

Kind regards,

Joachim

• Thanks 1