Finished: Knox Class Frigate ROCN "Fen Yang" FFG 934 (1/700 AFV club)

bianfuxia

IMG_20200429_220905804.jpg

Scored this on eBay. Looks like a quick build so I am going to start it for this GB. 

If anyone's after one, and if this doesn't break the rules, I can recommend the source in Taiwan i got it from. Arrived by airmail - took a while but that's no surprise during COVID-19. PM me and I will point you in the right direction (because some other vendors are selling it for way more). 

Anyway, on to the kit:

IMG_20200429_223017439.jpg

It comes with decals to make a few US ships and also some ROCN (Republic of China Navy, aka the Taiwanese navy) "Chi Yang" class which were hand-me-down Knox frigates. I think I will do one of those because they have a cool decal on the hangar door.

There's only one sprue and it looks more or less of a similar standard to most ship kits you see in 1/700 - comes with a little Sea Sprite helicopter. Maybe the detail is a little soft compared to the latest Japanese kits but it's going to be good fun.

IMG_20200429_234438992-2048x1152.jpg

Edited by bianfuxia
  • Like 7

Gidday Bianfuxia, I've got one of these, same brand. The box art (using the term loosely 🙂) is slightly different. Mine states that it is the Robert E. Peary FF-1073, but has 932 on the bow. Go figure! The diagram of the ship has very minor variations to yours, and the two emblems are missing from the front of the box. But it has the same kit number, and the sprue inside appears to be identical to yours.

So I'll let you do yours first, and make all the mistakes that I'll then be able to avoid. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 1

Well on the way to creating your own navy by now I see😁. Looks like a good one. One advantage of the "modern" warships is that they have less and less "clutter" on the topsides, particularly the "stealth" types  - a lot less fiddly little bits to try and glue on!

Cheers

Pete

6 hours ago, PeterB said:

Well on the way to creating your own navy by now I see😁. Looks like a good one. One advantage of the "modern" warships is that they have less and less "clutter" on the topsides, particularly the "stealth" types  - a lot less fiddly little bits to try and glue on!

Cheers

Pete

Yeah I will soon have a 600 ship fleet capable of two major global wars and a brushfire conflict all at once...😁

I think I have more coming too. Maybe time to check into rehab for a bit...

8 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Bianfuxia, I've got one of these, same brand. The box art (using the term loosely 🙂) is slightly different. Mine states that it is the Robert E. Peary FF-1073, but has 932 on the bow. Go figure! The diagram of the ship has very minor variations to yours, and the two emblems are missing from the front of the box. But it has the same kit number, and the sprue inside appears to be identical to yours.

So I'll let you do yours first, and make all the mistakes that I'll then be able to avoid. 😁

Regards, Jeff.

Haha good plan! 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, bianfuxia said:

I think I have more coming too. Maybe time to check into rehab for a bit...

Gidday, can you book me in while you're at it. I'll take the cell room next door, so we can talk modeling. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Will be watching this build as would like to build one of these one day after going on board USS Reasoner FF-1063 in the 70’s when it visited Townsville. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

OK so the paint arrived (not the one in the pic) and I've made a good start on the Knox class frigate. It's a really simple build. As predicted it's a little softer on the detail - the main thing I don't like is the main gun which seems too bulbous. I am hardly the guy to post pictures with red lines all over things, but it really is a bit too curved to my eye. Somewhere I have several of those guns from a Skywave set but I can't find it. So this will do for now and one day I can replace it so it looks the same as the now 4 or 5 other ships (all Skywave kits) I have with the same type of turret.

IMG_20200526_230821401-2048x1152.jpg

Sorry the pic is not the sharpest.

As I think I mentioned, I would like to build this as an upgraded Taiwanese version. These had 10 SM-1 missiles in individual box launchers. If you google "Chi yang class frigate" you can see a bunch of images. The box launchers are set up with a triple launcher on each side, firing outwards perpendicular to the ship on a new deck set ahead of the hangar, and then also a double launcher on top of the hangar one each side, firing kind of off to the front diagonally. 

There's also a new long deckhouse behind the bridge, and of course the fire control radar for the SM-1. Fortunately I have a spare of those handy from one of the recent JMSDF builds. 

Not quite sure how I am going to pull all that off, but we'll see.

This is about the best picture I can find of it: LINK

• Like 3

IMG_20200526_235706948.jpg

IMG_20200527_000405772.jpg

I went to all the trouble to build this cool extra deck amidships only to discover that it was some kind of upgrade and earlier, the Chi Yang frigates still had the lifeboats and deck design that the kit provides. Oh well! I was surprised at how well that little scratch-up went. I had to re-do the side panels but only once. The PE launchers are actually the SSM launchers from my Type 054A+ - one of my other GB builds. I'm using the plastic parts on that ship. I just need to find two more pieces that work for the remaining two tubes, and something for a stand to hold them at the right angle.

also I'm going to repaint the deck in a lighter colour.

IMG_20200528_000905186.jpg

This link gives a good view of the side profile of Fen Yang (pennant #934): LINK

And here is the motherlode of good pics - in Chinese but the English translation by Google is ok: LINK 2

Meanwhile I have learned more about how Taiwan upgraded these ships. When they were in US service, they had the gun, ASROC, and a Phalanx. In ROCN service they have those, but they can also fire Harpoon from the ASROC launcher, and they have ten SM-1 missiles in the box launchers. Bit of an upgrade! That said, they're very old now and it's hard to see how they'd go in a serious fight with the PLAN. A couple have already been decommissioned, according to that second website I linked.

• Like 3

Last night's progress.

IMG_20200529_103944001.jpg

The scratchbuilt decks are now stuck in place. I also build the "mack" - the combo mast and stack (or funnel as I would call it). 

The real thing - FFG-934 Fen Yang that I have settled on - has a couple of minor differences on the radar mast. It looks like a different mount to the big radar, and the radomes are relocated from the very top on that four-armed crows nest deal down to the top of the bridge (or, at least, three radomes up high were deleted and three put on the bridge rook, not sure they are the same ones). I think there's a limit to what I can find in the spares department so I will leave the big radar as it is. 

I put a Sea Hawk from another kit on the flight deck to show how small it actually is. The successor to the Knox class was the Oliver Hazard Perry, which could operate two Sea Hawks from its flight deck. The Knox used Sea Sprite in US service and the ROCN used the tiny Hughes 500 ASW. I'll leave my flight deck empty on this one even though I usually prefer to put something on the flight deck.

The brass missile tubes just show location. I still need to identify two more.

• Like 3

Gidday Bianfuxia, I enjoy seeing scratchwork alterations to convert a generic kit int a specific vessel. I like doing it also. I actually went on board one of these ships when it came to Fremantle in Western Australia, back in late 1978 or early 1979 (I had just joined the Naval Reserve). If I recall it had the 5-inch gun turret (you are right about this kit's 'dome' shaped turret being wrong) and the ASROC on the foc'sle, but I don't think it had Phalanx or Harpoons. It definitely had an eight-box Sea Sparrow launcher right at the stern. This looked similar to the ASROC launcher. 

All the different radars the ship is fitted with are over my head, but I'm keen to see how this build will finally look like.

Regards, Jeff.

Hey Jeff, 

Cool memory! From what little I know about the Knox class, basically what I've learned doing this, that was the old Sparrow BPDMS - Basic Point Defence Missile System - on the back deck for a while when they were still in US service. As far as I can tell that system was pretty ineffective - seems like a passive radar homing version of Sea Cat like on the old RN and RAN ships. Guided by a visual aimer operated by a sailor. Those were already replaced by Phalanx while still in US service and by the time Taiwan got them, they were already pretty long in the tooth I guess.

I was only 6 when you had that experience but by 1986 I have a clear memory of being invited aboard USS Missouri in Sydney harbour when we were in Sydney for some kind of big naval open day. Slight chance it was 1988 actually. But I won't forget that probably ever!

• Like 1

Gidday Bianfuxia, one of those ships (could be USS New Jersey) anchored in Gage Roads off Fremantle in the late 80's and some of us reservists (I was a seaman gunner) went out to see her. As it was a private visit we saw parts of the ship the general public did not, including going right through the 16-inch 'B' turret. Very impressive. We were talking to some of the American gunners just after and one asked me what guns we had on board our vessel (an 'Attack' class patrol boat). I said we had a Bofor 40mm. I'll never forget his reply - "Hell man, we use them for chipping paint!" 😀

Sorry, got a bit off-topic here. I've found some photos I took of the Knox class, she was USS Lockwood FF-1064, and it was November 1978. The photo showed the turret, more domed shape than I remembered. The kit's turret is not perfect but not as bad as I first thought. These are old photos taken with my 35mm, not digital so I can't post them here I'm afraid. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Sorry, got a bit off-topic here. I've found some photos I took of the Knox class, she was USS Lockwood FF-1064, and it was November 1978. The photo showed the turret, more domed shape than I remembered. The kit's turret is not perfect but not as bad as I first thought. These are old photos taken with my 35mm, not digital so I can't post them here I'm afraid. HTH. Regards, Jeff.

Jeff,

If you have a scanner, you could scan them in as a JPEG - that's what I have done with a lot of my old prints. I also took a lot of slides (transparencies to some) and have a gadget which digitises them.

Cheers

Pete

Gidday, my neighbor has that gadget for slides and I borrowed it once, and I've also in the past taken a digital photo of the original photo, which was OK. But in this case it is not worth it because it is such a lousy photo I don't think anyone would learn from it. But thank you for the suggestion. Regards, Jeff.

On 5/31/2020 at 12:15 AM, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Bianfuxia, one of those ships (could be USS New Jersey) anchored in Gage Roads off Fremantle in the late 80's and some of us reservists (I was a seaman gunner) went out to see her. As it was a private visit we saw parts of the ship the general public did not, including going right through the 16-inch 'B' turret. Very impressive. We were talking to some of the American gunners just after and one asked me what guns we had on board our vessel (an 'Attack' class patrol boat). I said we had a Bofor 40mm. I'll never forget his reply - "Hell man, we use them for chipping paint!" 😀

haha that is a cool story. I'm trying to picture an Attack class alongside the New Jersey!

Coincidentally I was trying to find out the other day what an Attack class was like inside, because I had seen the opening clip of Patrol Boat and wondered where inside that tiny thing all the people would fit. Couldn't find anything online though. 

So were you like "Buffer" or one the dudes he was always pushing around? :)

Gidday Bianfuxia, the 'Attack' class was the boat used in the original series, followed by the 'Fremantle' class. We had HMAS Acute, followed by HMAS Barricade and finally HMAS Adroit. Very uncomfortable in heavy weather but I had some good times. I was only the Buffer once, usually I was one of the dudes. Our mess down aft accommodated twelve sailors, the forward mess accommodated the four senior sailors, plus two cabins - CO and the two officers. The accommodation was, shall we say, cosy. And blokes only, the ladies didn't sail with us back then.

Believe it or not, the Attack class had something in common with the USS New Jersey - 108 feet - our length and their beam. Seriously.    Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1

IMG_20200602_234550336.jpg

Meanwhile, major construction on my Fen Yang is done. I can't honestly say I am thrilled with the scratchbuilt missile launchers in the end, but I did the best I could. I think the new deck looks ok. 

Now I have to find the decal sheet - I spent half an hour looking for it last night with no luck. I can't proceed without it because I need to put the red circles on the deck around the gun and missile mounts before I install those parts.

There are some smaller parts to put on, too, but it's getting there and as long as the decals show up, this will get done in time.

As always the close-up photo does my modelling no favours. These bits are meant to be that different grey, though. That's not a mistake.

IMG_20200602_234604115-2048x1353.jpg

Look at that wonky, wobbly launcher in the foreground - golly. But it;s all PE so it's done with superglue so I guess I have to live with it!

• Like 2

IMG_20200604_153824062.jpg

Well I found the decals on the floor. These were unlike any I've used before. They needed about a millisecond in the water to be ready. Waiting for the warning circles ended up a bit pointless because they are so small they're obscured by the weapons mounted in them. Oh well. 

With decals done, I then hand-painted the raised flight deck markings. I should go and do a little touch up but it looks ok I think. I also added the SM-1 fire control radar at the top of the forward deckhouse I scratch built. It's not exactly the same as in pics but it is indeed an SM-1 missile FCR which I have spare from one of my Skywave kits.

IMG_20200604_153909823.jpg

I added the unusual telescoping hangar, too.  Does anyone know how that works? Is the helicopter basically kept under the telescoping bit, on the flight deck, and the hangar is just retracted when it's time to fly? If that's the case, what's the rest of the hangar structure for?

IMG_20200604_153841429.jpg

Just noticed I haven't painted the back of the hangar there!

All that remains with this one is to paint up the radars, add the radomes and a few other small details and paint touchups. I might use some PE for the flight deck netting too, as my other kit has enough to spare. All being equal I think it'll be done tonight (or whenever I next get a chance to hit the workbench). 

• Like 3

Quite an attractive ship, although compared with older ones I do find the modern warships lacking in character.

This is a fine model, like all the others you have built for this GB, well done!

AW

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andwil said:

Quite an attractive ship, although compared with older ones I do find the modern warships lacking in character.

This is a fine model, like all the others you have built for this GB, well done!

AW

thank you!

IMG_20200605_235745408.jpg

I'm calling this one finished, having attached the radomes.

I'll put some touch-ups on it (paint here and there) tomorrow and then put some better photos in the gallery.

Thanks for following along!

• Like 2