Ju-88A-4, 1/144, Revell

Ju-88A-4 | 1/144 | Minicraft

German Luftwaffe, 6.KG 3, Russia, 1943

9Tpkb0y.jpg

Finished 4/20/2020.  I love 1/144 bombers only because I have limited display space.  I decided to get this kit because I'd made a Revell 1/144 Ju-88 when I was 13 or 14 and slapped it together over the course of a couple nights (they go together fast if you don't put the undercarriage on!).  I really wanted to do a Ju-88 right, and the fact that this had a pre-painted canopy was a real bonus! (I've proven to myself that I can do 1/144 canopies with my Bf-110 build, I don't need to do it again! :D ).

As with the other Minicraft 1/144 kits I've done, there are major fit issues.  I usually have to do a lot of sanding and filling to get them looking right.  In this case, I had to use epoxy putty on the engine nacelles on the trailing edges of the wings (pictures follow).  I also had to fill the enormous hole they provided for the horizontal stabilizer.  I also crafted my own guns from 0.5 mm styrene rod because the ones in the kit were cone-shaped.

It turns out that this kit is from the same mold as the Ju-88 I did as a kid (and is on my son's ceiling), so that was fun. No WIP for this build.

Finishing: Seam filling with super glue, some reshaping and filling with epoxy putty
Paints: Mr. Surfacer 1500 black > Hataka RLM 70 and 71 on top > Hataka RLM 65 on bottom > Hataka RLM 04 for spinners, and theater markings > Alclad Aqua Gloss clear coat > Testors spray dull coat (Decanted) for final coat
Weathering/Wear: Tamiya weathering pastels for exhaust stains and a few random dirty spots.

SQUELIX.jpg

Mr3H19H.jpg

EclYrw7.jpg

LPKNKr7.jpg

WKeEDAz.jpg

J0zxvJl.jpg

xPX3gtJ.jpg

Here's a couple of my scratch-built guns:

AyQ4ifM.jpg

The cockpit was uneven, so I had to fill one side with epoxy putty so it would be even for the decal they gave you to put there:

W3wUwyy.jpg

The fit of the nacelles at the trailing edge of the wings was hideous:

kvKQtUv.jpg

But I was able to patch them up with epoxy putty:

13X2o1o.jpg

TXyuFji.jpg

Thanks for looking!  Hope you enjoy.  Comments and questions always welcomed!

• Like 12

Beautifully done.  I'm a 1/72 guy, myself, but I totally agree with you on the small scales being the thing for limited display space.

Your build certainly dealt well with any fit problems.  Fantastic skills.🙂

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, kapam said:

Beautifully done.  I'm a 1/72 guy, myself, but I totally agree with you on the small scales being the thing for limited display space.

Your build certainly dealt well with any fit problems.  Fantastic skills.🙂

Thank you sir! Except for these few bombers, everything else of mine is 1/72.  I think I've built only four 1/48 kits since I was 9 years old. :D