Klingon D-7, 1/1000, Polar Lights

Klingon D-7 Battlecruiser | 1/1000 | Polar Lights 

T1RoZyu.jpg

Finished 3/13/2020.  I'm back after a few months absence. I didn't model for a couple months because I just couldn't get into it. This D-7 was 95% done for those couple of months and there's nothing quite like an unfinished project to guilt me back to the bench. :)

Since this kit is a snap together, seams were a major issue. So there was a lot of superglue and sandpaper in the building of this model. Another major problem was color: First, good reference photos of original series Klingon ships are practically impossible to find. Second, the instructions called for Testor's Napoleonic Violet, which I couldn't find a lacquer equivalent of.  I went to the LHS and found Testors apparently doesn't make Napoleonic Violet in enamel anymore, but they had it in Acrylic (which I refuse to use).  The LHS had several shades of purple in the little Testors bottles and I matched one to the Acrylic Napoleonic Violet -- Lilac.  It wasn't perfect, but close.  Other parts of the ship were Light Ghost Gray (Mr. Color 308) and a 50/50 mix of Light Ghost Gray and White (also Mr. Color).  The Lilac turned out to be comically bright, so I dusted light ghost gray over it until it looked right to me.  I quite like it, actually. 

The other problem I had was that there were chrome plated parts in the kit, which I think look ridiculous, so I used bleach to strip them (and boy, it didn't take long! Just a few seconds!) and then used Alclad Duraluminum on them (with a base coat of gloss black).  The parts on the warp engines got a dusting of Alclad steel as well.

With a little care to overcome the kit's deficiencies, it builds into a beautiful model. and it was fun, which is good because I have another in the stash waiting to be built into a Romulan D7.

One last thing - I picked my own registry number for this ship.  Everyone does the one that looks like a styliszed "TCS" and I wanted to be different. (It's "A49" if you want to know)

No WIP for this build.

Finishing: Seam filling with Super Glue and Squadron white putty
Paints: Mr. Surfacer 1500 black | Mr. Color  308 (FS36375) > 50/50 Mr. Color 308 and 1 > Testors Lilac enamel with a dusting of Mr. Color 308 > Alclad Aqua Gloss Clear coat > Testors spray Semi-Gloss (Decanted) for final coat
Weathering/Wear: A little bit of streaking with Tamiya Weathering pastels.  While it seems laughable to have weathering in space, it looked too toy-like otherwise.  Although I suppose you could argue that going through cosmic dust clouds at high velocities could deposit something on the surface!

gqqcaIe.jpg

ktDUEp7.jpg

y2fkMeO.jpg

WovGo1h.jpg

LzrCXGR.jpg

Had to mask the impulse engines in the back.  I think they turned out OK!

F1BNVz9.jpg

Fr57MlM.jpg

Thanks for looking; hope you enjoy!  Questions and comments always welcomed!

• Like 16
  • Thanks 1

On 5/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, Ben Brown said:

That turned out great! Well done! 

Thank you!

On 5/2/2020 at 6:45 AM, Ben Brown said:

That’s a great kit. I wish they’d release a 1/1000 version of their 1/350 K’Tinga to go with it

Without a doubt!  I thought that more than once while I was making this.  I even experimented with putting a faint tile pattern to match the one on my bigger AMT K'tinga... very faint, kind of like the Aztek paneling on Federation starships.  Couldn't get the look I was going for so I abandoned it.