US selects Italian (FREMM) design for next frigate

Slater

Hi,

As I understand it, in looking at the image in the attached article below, it appears to vary from the baseline FREMM by a fair bit.

spacer.png

https://navyrecognition.com/index.php/news/defence-news/2020/may-2020/8339-fincantieri-marinette-marine-was-awarded-contract-to-build-ffg-x-missile-frigate-for-us-navy.html

Edited by PF Naughton

I wish I could find the post a few years ago on the subject of the Navy trying to improve the LCS's capability where I predicted the FREMM would answer all the Navy's needs for a bluewater frigate. 

Must keep polishing the old crystal ball! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grahamwalker said:

amazed the USN is buying a foreign warship

Define "foreign warship" though.  The renderings look far more like a mini Arleigh Burke than the original FREMM.  We know that the underlying design is based on the the Italian hull form but the modifications are all US and they're being built in the US.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the engineering and propulsion is more US design than Italian.  It's very easy with projects like this to take a basic design, make a few "minor" tweaks which lead to other necessary design changes and then more changes as a result of requirement creep from the customer and all of a sudden you have a virtually new design.

• Like 1

On 5/5/2020 at 9:26 AM, Chewbacca said:

Define "foreign warship" though.  The renderings look far more like a mini Arleigh Burke than the original FREMM.  We know that the underlying design is based on the the Italian hull form but the modifications are all US and they're being built in the US.  I wouldn't be at all surprised if the engineering and propulsion is more US design than Italian.  It's very easy with projects like this to take a basic design, make a few "minor" tweaks which lead to other necessary design changes and then more changes as a result of requirement creep from the customer and all of a sudden you have a virtually new design.

As with all large industrial groups, it's hard to define the nationality of a single branch of the group.. these ships will be built by a US registered company that is the local branch of an Italian group. Their design has been conducted all around the group with input from a few US based firms that were contracted by Fincantieri for this project. Does it mean the design is Italian or American or both ?

ONe thing is sure: this ship is "more foreign" than other competitors, and this within the acquisition history of the various US forces is something not that common

• Like 2

When frigates from different nations were being evaluated for this competition, I remember reading how the US inspection team were highly impressed by the quality of the espresso machine on the Italian frigate in comparison to what was generally offered on a US frigate - I'm not making this up!

Hi,

Looking at the specs from the link that Slater provided the design doesn't look too different in size than the DDG 51 Flt IIa.  Specifically the FFG(X) appears to have a length and beam of 496 x 65 ft, while the DDG Flt IIa appears to be 509 x 66ft.