Valom 1/72 Bristol Bombay

On 5/1/2020 at 8:01 PM, SoftScience said:

Some of your nicest work to date. What did you think of the kit? How was the build?

Thanks for this and the other compliments.    How was the build?

Well - I built this kit for Ian,  a regular visitor to Jet Age. But it's not really my interest area.

The kit: Cleanly moulded parts.  Three injection moulded sprues, plus transparencies. Then resin engines, and some etched brass details.

What I didn't really notice was - no location points. The whole model is a series of butt joints. The only concession being a wing-spar.

Typical of low-volume kits, this one has NO part-number tags on the sprues - constant reference back to the sprue-maps, always on a different page. Tiresome!

Construction soon showed that all the radio compartment detail would be concealed, so I omited everything but the seat. It also revealed that this kit has no location markers to assist fitting it together.

All the cockpit floors needed trimming for the fuselage to fit properly. As did the wingspar for the wings to fit. The nose and tail compartments have ammo-drums all over the place! And the location pimple lost in the interior paint.  I just glued them anywhere.

The part for wing landing lights got pushed through the aperture and lost, replace with a piece of credit-card.

I'm convinced that the parts for the tails, their struts, and the undercarriage are all mis-numbered.

The resin engines are a particularly vague fit. The props have a very short shaft to locate them to the engine. I drilled that out, replacing with 1.5mm copper cable. My props are removeable - and spin!

Completed earlier today, and I'm very glad. It's not been my favourite project,  I'll stick to mainstream where I can.

I am very pleased with the result, and can't wait to give it back to Ian, when Jet Age re-opens.

Edited,  After Jet Age re-opened.    Ian visited on my first day's duty, so I gave him the completed model.

Very grateful, and blown away with the finished model - so a satisfying result.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

Given your description of the kit build, I'm surprised but also very pleased to see you persisted with the build because the build is great, and as with all great builds, there's no evidence of the struggles you had getting the job done.  You can be justifiably proud.

• Thanks 1

The best Bombay build I have seen anywhere , and having first hand experience of Valom kits I know exactly what you went through to achieve that fabulous model, lucky Ian.

regards, adey

Edited by adey m
  • Thanks 1

That is very nicely done, love it. Very well done :clap:

Quick tip - turn off the date stamp from the images on your camera, always looks horrible on photos and there's no need for it as the EXIF data contains the date info.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, adey m said:

The best Bombay build I have seen anywhere so far, and having first hand experience of Valom kits I know exactly what you went through to achieve that fabulous model, lucky Ian.

regards, adey

Thanks Adey, That means so much to me - as do all the complimentary comments.  I was looking thru your Harrow thread yesterday - very similar aircraft and kits.  Wishing you a great result for that one.

I've also got a Valom Albermarle, which I'm in no hurry to start.

• Thanks 1

Great job with this Tim.

The extra effort on these limited run kits can only really be appreciated by those who have built them. This has come out really well. Certainly it looks better than the malnourished one on the box top. 

I visited the Jet Age museum last summer on holiday.  A great museum and well worth visiting. 

Colin 

• Thanks 1