Squirrelled away in the “They also serve” GB but repeating myself here as it is too interesting an oddity to not share widely

Drawn in Fusion 360, printed in sections on Creality Ender 3 Pro and finished in a what-if scheme. Looking like something even Burt Rutan would consider a bit of a stretch

49842792622_76d1d5785e_b.jpg

49842520936_d6cb0f0383_b.jpg

49842487616_fb4d84381f_b.jpg

49842487651_5b44a58833_b.jpg

Edited by LostCosmonauts
  • Like 13

16 minutes ago, Space Ranger said:

That looks like something out of the "Thunderbirds" universe.

My thoughts exactly! Very nice 'what-if'! I suppose I need to get my old 3-D printer cranked up again.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Richard E said:

A strange beast, it looks like the design would work quite well as an Ekranoplan.

Yes it does; with those small wings and those twin booms that could be made into hulls/floats. It's certainly no weirder than that Beriev-Bartini VVA-14, and not only was that built, it flew over a 100 times!

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Richard E said:

A strange beast, it looks like the design would work quite well as an Ekranoplan

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

those twin booms that could be made into hulls/floats.

The engine intakes under the centre section leading edge might need reworking for that - likely to ingest an epic amount of seawater

As far as I understand it this was an alternative to the swing wings thinking that became the Tornado. Small jet engines blowing over flaps to give low speed performance, razor thin straight wings and internal weapons for high speed

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Gorby said:

I wonder why I like it?

No idea, you’re tastes are normally so conservative (like scratching a small fortification trying to pass itself off as an armoured vehicle)

• Haha 1