Phantom fgr.2 XV422

davebruce

3 hours ago, Hook said:

While on the subject, I knew I had an article about the incident somewhere - found it!

It's in "British Phantoms: a special tribute to a Cold War legend", Key Publishing 2017, ISBN 978 1 912205 06 6, p.64 - 69. A nice pic of the unlucky Jaguar is supplied as well. 

Happy hunting! 

As mentioned in post 13.

• 1 year later...
On 5/2/2020 at 5:03 AM, Phone Phixer said:

Hi.

The fin was barley grey.

The official scheme was med sea grey on the inner wing panels and barley grey on the outer wings. But all of us on here that worked on grey Phantoms say it was never that noticeable in real life. What with paint fading and oil/boot marks it all became very similar.

Just add a small amount of a darker grey to the barley grey for the inner wing panels, it will then vary the tone.

Yes the upper colour did wrap around slightly to meet the light aircraft grey.

Forgive my ignorance - what colour was the fuselage in this scheme? Is there a colour scheme diagram available anywhere?

Edited by k5054nz

On 5/8/2020 at 1:37 AM, Phone Phixer said:

XV422 was a 92 Sqn jet when it did the dirty deed. After going away on major servicing it returned to Wildenrath and was given to 19(F) Sqn with the tail code J. Hense forth to be known as "Juliet the Jag Killer".

During the ACMI det to Deci in the summer of 1988 it briefly got some tail art with this name, that is the markings Dave is doing.

Despite that being in the middle of my tour on 19(F), I missed seeing it and all the summer detachments in 88 as I was "enjoying" a winter in the Falklands on 23 Sqn.

Rob.

So you went down South and I went to the Deci ACMI trip in 88.  Happy days.

• Like 1

On 5/1/2020 at 6:03 PM, Phone Phixer said:

Hi.

The fin was barley grey.

The official scheme was med sea grey on the inner wing panels and barley grey on the outer wings. But all of us on here that worked on grey Phantoms say it was never that noticeable in real life. What with paint fading and oil/boot marks it all became very similar.

Just add a small amount of a darker grey to the barley grey for the inner wing panels, it will then vary the tone.

Yes the upper colour did wrap around slightly to meet the light aircraft grey.

Phone Phixer is right, first time I realised the wing panels were different colours was when opening the Hasegawa 1/48 RAF Phantom box @1989 and having a look at the Paint Guide.  I had been on 19(F) from mid 1987 without noticing the colour difference. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Forgive my ignorance - what colour was the fuselage in this scheme? Is there a colour scheme diagram available anywhere?

The fuselage, fin and outer wings are barley grey. Inner wings medium sea grey (debatable), undersides light aircraft grey.

spacer.png

Rob.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, k5054nz said:

Thanks Rob, I really appreciate it. I've always been a grey-and-green Phantom fan but after reading Steve Griggs' account of the accidental shootdown in Jaguar Boys last night I'm tempted to build both aircraft involved in 1/72.

Post #8 on the first page by Phantom Phixer states XV422 was grey/green when the incident occurred. So it could work out the best of both worlds for you.

Rob.

As I said in post very early on, XV422 was grey at the time of the incident, there is photographic evidence that it was painted grey, there is an air to air photo taken in 1980 in fresh grey paint, no markings other than coded O, in company with other 92 Sqn jets still in camo finish.

There is another pic captioned 'early 1980s' taken at what I would say is a similar time, judging by the overall finish and markings etc.

There is a other picture dated 1981 where it looks distinctly more grubby and with the 92 tail motif, coded O but without the usual chequered battenburg applied to the RWR.

This is would be not long before the incident, and the markings I would choose.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

There are also pictures of XV422 still of 19 Sqn when carrying out DACT with F-14s from VF-32 in the med whilst JFK transitted through there on its way to the Gulf region in 1990. I bet that the switches were in the right places then.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just to add to this, I managed to take a look at a friends copy of British Phantoms 1979-1992 (P Martin), in the entry for XV422 history it says 'repainted at St Athan in air defence three-grey finish during 1979; to 92 Sqn as O in April 1980, 19 Sqn as J in June 1984'.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1