Good day all, hope everyone is well.

I've finally finished my Tamiya Subaru S8 as driven by Andrew Nesbitt and James O'Brien to win the 2003 Donegal International Rally. It's been a little while in the making - somewhere around 15 years! The decals were produced by a fellow member of a then motorsport modelling group and they are copyrighted 2004. He sent me a set then and I started the build almost straight away - but it was beset by a number of setbacks when for some reason I just couldn't get a good white paintjob and it's been stripped and repainted at least 5 times! The current paintjob is Zero Pure Brilliant White with their 1K clearcoat. Even that didn't go that well as the pressure gauge on my compressor failed without me knowing and the clear went on far too thick and led to the blue kit plastic leaching through the white in places requiring local respraying! Also have to say this wasn't my favourite build as it appeared there were warps in a number of places in the chassis and parts of the interior wouldn't fit well. Still it's done now, my first finished car build in over a decade but I hope it won't be another 10 years before my next one. I have to thank my friend and fellow BMer @Andy J whose brilliant rally car builds inspired me to dig this one out and get it finished!

Anyway, pics;

Interior with wiring and plumbing;

3a

Interior finished;

And it's done;

Thanks for looking and stay safe

Keith

• Like 23

About time 😂 Excellent Scooby Keith and great to see in white for a change. Hopefully your next project won't take so long to complete we need builds of this quality on the forum as often as possible. Great build, great pics and an excellent result well done mate 👍

• Thanks 1

This lockdown seems to have some positive side effects, after all :D

Gorgeous model, Keith :clap:The paint job looks ace!

Ciao

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, bmwh548 said:

I think you might have the brake discs mixed up?

Dunno tbh, never had grooved discs on any of my real rally cars, and I think I followed Tamiya's instructions properly so never thought to check, but I could well have mucked them up - wouldn't be the first time!  :)

Thanks for your comment!

Keith

• Like 1

Superb! Great to see different decals and crew!

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Dunno tbh, never had grooved discs on any of my real rally cars, and I think I followed Tamiya's instructions properly so never thought to check, but I could well have mucked them up - wouldn't be the first time!  :)

Thanks for your comment!

Keith

I think bmwh548 might be correct.  

spacer.png

This is the grooved (and dimpled) disc on front right corner of my car.

Trevor

OK, the discs were confusing me, but as I saidthis build did seem fated! It's actually sitting on its second chassis stolen from another kit as I completely missed the first two steps in the instructions on the first one and as I'd used superglue to stick it together when I realised and tried to get the missed parts in place I basically destroyed a lot of the suspension. So I've just dug the insructions out of the recycling bin, and the first chaassis which still has three discs but no wheels on, making it easier to see and compared the built chassis to the instructions:

IMG_20200502_102239036

So I'm blaming Tamiya san for this one....!! :)

Keith 

• Like 1

Thanks for the comments everyone.

11 hours ago, PatW said:

Great to see different decals and crew!

I agree Pat, Irish tarmac rallying has always been my favourite motorsport and I was hoping that the chap who did these would do many more Irish cars as there were/are some superb different schemes for WRC cars, but unfortunately we lost touch so I don't know if he ever did.

Keith

Nice work Keith, a white Subaru makes a nice change. The ZP Brilliant white is good stuff, I've only used it once but white it is.

• Thanks 1

15 years? That's persistence. I've spent far too many days for my liking sat in shonky Group N Subarus earning some pocket money, but I can appreciate the quality of your build.

It'll be nice when we can get back to 1:1 motorsport again. I had plans for a bit of tar this year 😎   

• Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, Anteater said:

I had plans for a bit of tar this year

I'd have loved to have done Irish tarmac events - closest I got was club and Motoring News road rallies! Would be brilliant to do some of the closed road events now able to run in the UK, but I'm too old and too poor...!!

Thanks for the comment.

Keith

I was too late for Motoring News but I've done plenty of what came after, there's no substitute for all the madness of a Saturday night out... Closed roads beckon now but I won't be forgetting my roots, too much good stuff out there while I have the chance 😉

• Like 1

Superb looking Sabaru there Keith! I haven't built a car in decades, but have a handful of 1/24 and 1/25 in the stash. Might have a go one day soon!

Terry

• Thanks 1

• 9 months later...