Alfa Romeo 2300 Monza 1:12

On 5/20/2020 at 5:57 PM, Mr Mansfield said:

Nice work on the hinge. How do you hide the flaps?  The rope cover on the exhaust works really well

Thanks :) The hood flaps are made of 0.3 mm copper sheet and you just need to grind them gently and they are almost invisible :)

• Thanks 1

On 5/10/2020 at 4:03 PM, Renek said:

I have been thinking for a long time about the form and way of connecting the body and the frame. An integral part are also locking square screws intertwined with wire throughout the car ...
The first on the wound was a mask ...
However, I came across the shortcomings of both the iron and model market.
The trial error form is a fairly expensive variant of testing. The first printed screws, although small and according to the drawing, would be suitable for Pocher.
Another try, resin 3D printing, the screws are half .... well IT'S IT !!

file.php?id=1565728

file.php?id=1565738

file.php?id=1565737

file.php?id=1565735

file.php?id=1569436

file.php?id=1570571

file.php?id=1570884

file.php?id=1575565

file.php?id=1575564

Renek

If your thinking of producing these for sale I would definitely purchase a set off you

Keep up the good work, mine arrives next week and I'm picking up a lot of good tips from your build

• Like 2

Renek - I'm building this model as well, and like you I have scratch built the ignition wire protection tube, although I used aluminium tube rather than brass. Mine was made, not for aesthetics so much as for necessity. My heavy handedness broke the plastic kit part when attempting to drill the ignition lead holes out larger!

You didn't mention the friction dampers, but did you find you had to thin them down a lot to make them look scale?

Final question for you - have you found a location to place decal 12 at all? I have searched the instruction sheet over and over, and despite going cross-eyed, i have not found where it is supposed to go. To me it looks like it may be a chassis identification plate, but I can't find any photos to back that thought up.

You've made a wonderful build so far, and I'm definitely going to steal your idea (and dimensions) for 3D printing the body wirelocking bolts!!

• Like 1

On 5/3/2020 at 1:19 AM, Jo NZ said:

I think that you may have fitted the springs upside down😧

On 5/3/2020 at 7:45 AM, PROPELLER said:

I agree...

I'm not so sure, after checking out a number of builds, another on here, they seem to show them that way up ?

But looking at the real thing they show them the other way up, perhaps Italeri have got the instructions wrong

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

I'm not so sure, after checking out a number of builds, another on here, they seem to show them that way up ?

But looking at the real thing they show them the other way up, perhaps Italeri have got the instructions wrong

I agree with those who have said the leaf springs look like they are upside down.  I hate to say it, but I think the instructions must be wrong.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, colin said:

I'm also not sure of the instructions. I checked the position of the suspension ... But what, it's just fun :)

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Sloucher said:

Renek - I'm building this model as well, and like you I have scratch built the ignition wire protection tube, although I used aluminium tube rather than brass. Mine was made, not for aesthetics so much as for necessity. My heavy handedness broke the plastic kit part when attempting to drill the ignition lead holes out larger!

You didn't mention the friction dampers, but did you find you had to thin them down a lot to make them look scale?

Final question for you - have you found a location to place decal 12 at all? I have searched the instruction sheet over and over, and despite going cross-eyed, i have not found where it is supposed to go. To me it looks like it may be a chassis identification plate, but I can't find any photos to back that thought up.

You've made a wonderful build so far, and I'm definitely going to steal your idea (and dimensions) for 3D printing the body wirelocking bolts!!

Yes, definitely the cable protection part needs to be replaced with a scratch ...
I did not solve the shock absorbers, this particular construction is a kind of test of how and what to improve on a sharp construction.
I did not find the sticker - label No. 12 in the instructions and I glued it discreetly into the space of the partition :) 
Thank you for your interest :)

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, colin said:

Renek

If your thinking of producing these for sale I would definitely purchase a set off you

Keep up the good work, mine arrives next week and I'm picking up a lot of good tips from your build

Well .... my friend's print was made by a friend and he cursed a lot :) I don't think it's a good idea to ask him about sales opportunities :)
You will definitely find a skilled print programmer in your area ... and maybe a smarter one. You definitely have more options "in the west" ... I'm sorry

• Like 2

On 5/24/2020 at 8:35 AM, colin said:

You can contact this forum member, Angus Davidson,  who has done 3D work for me and is excellent:

https://www.designmodelcreate.com/

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, colin said:

Thanks Codger, do you know the correct term for the fixings

Sorry no but just send Angus the link to Renek's thread showing them on his DMC site.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, PROPELLER said:

Excellent paint job Renek!

Sorry, but at that time poor quality paint and without varnish...

Dan.

Definitely. There was definitely no such varnish at that time. We may think it is a reconstruction :)

• Thanks 1

With my son and his assistants, with the loss of nerves, I fitted the body with several rivet details. I replaced the flexible hoses from the kit with brass pipes and fixed everything with glue

file.php?id=1573304

file.php?id=1585614

file.php?id=1585616

file.php?id=1585613

• Like 5

18 hours ago, colin said:

Thanks Codger, do you know the correct term for the fixings

@colin, I think the term you'd be looking for would be wire-lock (or safety- wire) studs.

I wish I had a Pocher kit and a bottomless wallet, then I'd be visiting modelmotorcars website and getting all their aftermarket parts - amazing range!

As it is, I can only afford the smaller scale Italeri kit so I'm also going to see if I can get some wirelocking studs printed. I know a few guys with 3d printers who owe me a favour or two, so I just need to get the hang of FreeCad to produce a STL file.

@Renek - which dimensions did you use for your wire-locking studs eventually? I tried to use the dimensions you showed in that scan, but assuming they had to be reduced for a scale appearance, the square part and the round part under it don't work out "as is". I'm wondering whether that no.12 decal is supposed to be a chassis identification plate, but if it is I have no idea where on the chassis it should be mounted!

Edited by Sloucher
  • Like 1

On 5/26/2020 at 5:28 PM, Sloucher said:

@Renek - which dimensions did you use for your wire-locking studs eventually? I tried to use the dimensions you showed in that scan, but assuming they had to be reduced for a scale appearance, the square part and the round part under it don't work out "as is". I'm wondering whether that no.12 decal is supposed to be a chassis identification plate, but if it is I have no idea where on the chassis it should be mounted!

I enclose the dimensions of the screws in a non-artificial drawing :)
I just placed the label number 12 somewhere, I didn't come where it belongs. At the beginning I wrote that this construction is a trial and it does not matter much about the perfect design. That "sharp" will follow later :)

file.php?id=1596734

• Like 2

Today, only a glued fire partition of the instrument panel ...
This step could not be tried in advance, not on the right side perfetto, on the left a tiny half-millimeter correction and it will be ok. The important thing is the perfect fit surface frames and pontoons, which I've already quite disturbed the admitted construction screws ... well ... and dust dust

I fitted the body with square screws ...

file.php?id=1585984

file.php?id=1585982

file.php?id=1585981

file.php?id=1586609

file.php?id=1586607

file.php?id=1586606

• Like 4

Thanks @Renek for the diagram. I'm going to get this drawn as a CAD file and get some quotes for 3d resin printing. Would I be right in thinking there are around 36 of these bolts altogether? 

Your build is amazing so far. It looks every bit as good, if not better, than some of the Pocher builds I've seen - very well done!

• Like 1