Alfa Romeo 2300 Monza 1:12

On 5/28/2020 at 9:39 AM, Renek said:

I enclose the dimensions of the screws in a non-artificial drawing :)
I just placed the label number 12 somewhere, I didn't come where it belongs. At the beginning I wrote that this construction is a trial and it does not matter much about the perfect design. That "sharp" will follow later :)

file.php?id=1596734

To those interested in the studs with the above dimensions -  I'll look into it tonight to model them and then will try to print them right away. If there's interest, let me know via PM. Shipping would be from Germany, so take that into account.

This is the only kind of modelling I can reasonably get at the moment, so why not.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

To those interested in the studs with the above dimensions -  I'll look into it tonight to model them and then will try to print them right away. If there's interest, let me know via PM. Shipping would be from Germany, so take that into account.

This is the only kind of modelling I can reasonably get at the moment, so why not.

Great !!!

1 hour ago, Armchair said:

Sloucher, If you decide to go ahead with this project I will buy a set from you.

Bryan

I don't understand now ... When I'm done, do you want to buy it?

• Thanks 1

Před 18 hodinami Sloucher řekl:

dík @Renek pro diagram. Chystám se to nakreslit jako soubor CAD a získat nějaké nabídky pro 3d pryskyřičný tisk. Měl bych pravdu, když jsem si myslel, že existuje celkem 36 těchto šroubů? 

Vaše stavba je zatím úžasná. Vypadá to vždy stejně dobře, ne-li lépe, než některé z budov Pocher, které jsem viděl - velmi dobře!

Děkuji za kompliment. Porovnání se sadou Pocher ... Jsem hrdý na to, :)
že ani nevím, kolik těch zamykacích šroubů jsem použil. Měl jsem vytištěno asi 200 kusů, ale některé z nich vyplnily díru, jiné jsem se zlomil při montáži, některé létaly z pinzety někde do okolního prostoru ... Musíte jen mít víc. Zůstali tři:)

file.php?id=1586608

Edited by Renek
  • Like 1

Allright,

I did a successfull printrun of the Wire-Lock Bolts. I'd estimate about 100 to come out fine per printrun.

Material invest I'd calculate at about 5€.

Human Time Invest 30+ Minutes per Printrun mainly for Setup and Cleanup of parts and printer. Printer Cleanup is a must after every printrun of these.

Machine Time Invest 36 Minutes plus cleanup.

Consider for yourself what a reasonable wage would be.

CAD-Work and File preparation for printing are one time costs, I won't even think of these.

I'd calculate 15€ per 100 bolts plus shipping. For a sanity check I uploaded the design to shapeways to get a quote. The price would be 35$ per 10 bolts!!!

Edited by Schwarz-Brot
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Schwarz-Brot said:

I'd calculate 15€ per 100 bolts plus shipping. For a sanity check I uploaded the design to shapeways to get a quote. The price would be 35$ per 10 bolts!!!

With Shapeways current pricing, maybe that should be an insanity check....

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

@Jo NZ you are right. I couldn't believe it, and the price even goes up, as shipping, a handling fee per part and VAT are added at checkout. To be fair their extruded plastic is pretty nice and would be cheaper. But even their best extruded plastic is not able to hold such fine detail as the hole in the head. So you are looking at their SLA option wich is extremely pricey and easily matched with SLA printers at home.

Sanity check was to see if my pricing would outdo shapeways. If it would not by far, I'd simply put the design there so anyone could get prints via their services.

Edited by Schwarz-Brot
  • Like 1

I too was shocked at the price from Shapeway, maybe they only interested in large scale orders now!

I did find a printer in the UK who could print 144 bolts for just £2:50 (approx the same in Euros), but had a minimum order charge of £40 and at least £5 for shipping, so I'm currently awaiting a quote from another printer. Having said that however, as @Schwarz-Brot.  has already had some of these bolts made, there doesn't seem to be much point in me "re-inventing the wheel", so I too would love to see some photos of your bolts first @Schwarz-Brot, before commiting to getting some printed!

• Like 2

It is interesting to follow the discussion on the production and printing of screws. I thought we only had problems in our east and the prices are comparable. I paid for two types of screws - the first strong and the final a total of 20 euros.
Such a jerk ... :)
  To the car, I ripped out the original cables that were already on the engine and replaced them with much thinner headphones. The plastic cable protector is useless, I don't know how to write it better in English :)
I made it a brass replacement. On the one hand, it looks better and the cables can be inserted inside.

file.php?id=1586873

file.php?id=1586899

file.php?id=1586898

file.php?id=1586897

• Like 7

I'll try to sort something out with the admins / mods to show you further progress on the printing front. I'd like to keep you guys up to date, but this might lead to sales which is not allowed outside the trading area. Meanwhile I won't hijack this thread any further - I don't want to distract anyone from your gorgeous build.

Love the new ignition tube @Renek. Seeing it convince me I should do the same! I made mine from aluminium tube (I had some 3mm tubing to hand), but have tried to get away with using the end fittings from the original plastic version two-pack epoxied into place. I used some very thin wire called Kynar wire to represent the ignition leads as not only is it more scale (in my opinion), it also allow the wires to be fed through the tube exactly as per prototype. I theory that means you could have a working ignition system, but perhaps thats a step to far 😂.

spacer.png

• Like 3

On 5/30/2020 at 10:49 PM, Schwarz-Brot said:

I'll try to sort something out with the admins / mods to show you further progress on the printing front. I'd like to keep you guys up to date, but this might lead to sales which is not allowed outside the trading area. Meanwhile I won't hijack this thread any further - I don't want to distract anyone from your gorgeous build.

I didn't intend to sell anything, it just surprised me ...

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Renek said:

I didn't intend to sell anything, it just surprised me ...

Renek, this wasn't about you. It was about me trying to do the prints for those interested. I think I can do them and would like to offer this as a service to members here. But open advertising is not allowed in the general forums, so I have to reach an agreement with the bosses. Don't worry, mate. You are doing nothing wrong.

• Like 2

On 30. 5. 2020 at 23:21, Sloucher said:

Milujte novou zapalovací trubici @Renek. Když mě to přesvědčuje, měl bych udělat totéž! Důl jsem vyrobil z hliníkové trubky (měl jsem asi 3 mm hadičky po ruce), ale snažil jsem se dostat pryč s použitím koncových tvarovek z původní plastové verze dvousložkového epoxiedu na místo. Použil jsem velmi tenký drát zvaný Kynar, abych reprezentoval zapalovací kabely, protože nejenže je to větší měřítko (podle mého názoru), ale také umožňuje, aby dráty byly napájeny trubicí přesně podle prototypu. Teorie znamená, že byste mohli mít funkční zapalovací systém, ale možná to je krok daleko  😂.

spacer.png

Very nice. What is wire "Kynar" .... :)

Renek, look at electronics distributors.

Kynar is a product name for an insulation type, also found as PVDF insulation. It is a special wire for Wire Wrapping technique in prototyping electronics.

These wires are available in many colours and diameters. Look out for wires with PVDF insulation. There's others with different laquered insulations for winding transformers and inductors which work just as well but do not come in many different colours.

• Like 1

Haha , I was going to say that Kynar wire is a thin, very flexible but very strong, single stranded wire with heat proof insulation but @Schwarz-Brot beat me to it 😃

Edit: Its usually around 30 AWG in thickness (0, 25mm). Your wire-locking looks superb @Renek

Edited by Sloucher
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks gentlemen for the fresh comment on the Kynar wire :)

Assembly of a pontoon with a frame, connection of all hoses and wires, assembly of the connection of the upper cable protector

file.php?id=1587772

file.php?id=1587771

• Like 8

Looks very good @Renek. Are you going to scratch build the ignition advance mechanism? I'm part way through that process! Its just a pity that no one does any aftermarket pieces for this 1:12 kit in the same way they do for the 1:8 Pocher kit!

• Like 1

The ignition wiring looks a million times better!

On 30/05/2020 at 12:20, Renek said:

To the car, I ripped out the original cables that were already on the engine and replaced them with much thinner headphones. The plastic cable protector is useless, I don't know how to write it better in English :)

I think useless is good word to describe it. Your brass cable protector looks a lot better

• Like 1

Renek,

THIS has to be MY Favorite build. 

:wub:

PRISTINE and IMPRESSIVE  build.

:clap:

EXEMPLARY and FLAWLESSLY NEAT   workmanship  in all areas 

LOVE the model.. the Engine et al  looks very superior!

:wow:

keep up the sweet work.

:worthy:

Edited by HOUSTON
correction of misspelt word.
  • Like 1