Percival Proctor Mk.III | Dora Wings 1:48

The Dora Wings kit went very nicely - fairly well fitting parts, almost no flash on the parts - but some short shots also happened, especially on the ailerons. Built straight from the box, using the etched fret  also from the box.

Decals did a great job (especially the silver stripes).

The model is definitely worth the interest, but I would not recommend it to beginner modelers.

Painted with Mr. Hobby H33 and Dark Aluminum from the Vallejo Metal Color series. Weathering (very moderate) with use of Dark Earth and Smoke pigments and Engine Oil from AK.

Here it is, hope you like it :)

E2O2au.jpg

9kZubr.jpg

IiNqix.jpg

faz9Jo.jpg

XHK88x.jpg

Bv0Akp.jpg

Zr43fC.jpg

tPeNER.jpg

PIMcme.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 3

Hi Hubert -

Yes, like this one a lot! - Beautiful work and love the colour scheme

Regards

Dave

• Like 1

A good effort, but unfortunately that colour scheme proposed by Dora Wings makes no sense.   The all-red scheme came first and was later modified into the silver-front scheme. It didn't wear the 2 at the same time....

They didn't have photos from both sides of either scheme, so they came to the conclusion it had a 'split' colour scheme.......2+2=5 ?   If a kit manufacturer proposes something which seems ridiculous, then it probably is.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Roger Holden said:

A good effort, but unfortunately that colour scheme proposed by Dora Wings makes no sense.   The all-red scheme came first and was later modified into the silver-front scheme. It didn't wear the 2 at the same time....

They didn't have photos from both sides of either scheme, so they came to the conclusion it had a 'split' colour scheme.......2+2=5 ?   If a kit manufacturer proposes something which seems ridiculous, then it probably is.

Well, my first thought was that this plane had so short career in New Zealand, that it wouldn't be probable to be repainted. The second thought was that it was bought and repainted in England by two men, who wanted to sell it in New Zealand, so my guess was that each painted the other side. On the other hand, when I look closer at the photos of this plane it seams that those showing the left side of the plane seem to show the right landing gear dark with these silver stripes. So - not sure at all, you may be right.

At the Wings Over New Zealand website Peter Lewis wrote The aircraft was painted in quite an avant garde colour scheme with the name ‘Kiwi’ prominently painted on the port engine cowl. Avant garde - all red with silver stripes does not match this term I think. 

So right or wrong - it is as it is, I can turn it on the shelf once to the right, once to the left - I will have two models instead of one :)

Thanks for all comments.

• Like 5

3 minutes ago, Hubert said:

On the other hand, when I look closer at the photos of this plane it seams that those showing the left side of the plane seem to show the right landing gear dark with these silver stripes. So - not sure at all, you may be right.

I agree absolutely;  that is the best evidence that the colour scheme was the same on both sides.   I also think that the red (if indeed it was even red) looks like it could have been a metallic colour.....possibly what was meant by 'avant garde'.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I don't know how I missed this the first time around, especially as I interviewed owner Phil Lightband several years ago! Unfortunately he is no longer with us otherwise I'd have asked him about the colours.

I'm always pleased to see the Dora Percivals built. Beautiful work.

• Like 1