Aldi Special - AMT 1968 Shelby Mustang GT 500 1:25

On 10/05/2020 at 21:00, Spiny said:

Not sure how fine the brush was that you had no luck with (nor for that matter whether you have a magnifying headset which I seem to be using more and more :( ). But the method I've used when I have a raised figures on the dial but no decal is to brush paint onto the raised items. For me, I used a Tamiya HG Ultra Fine brush which is fantastic for detail work, then made sure I only got the smallest dab of paint on the end. If the paint starts drying on the brush, stop and wash it out as the dry clump increases the side of the brush head. This was the result I got with this method when I did the Stratos:

49008840226_8e05688804_c.jpg

However, if you don't have a magnifying headset or extremely fine brush then it probably won't work for you I'm afraid.

That must have taken hours! I tend to loose all depth perception with a magnifying glass & find I’m more accurate with a strong pair of read8ng glasses. You make me want to try harder on my next one 

5 hours ago, Mr Mansfield said:

I tend to loose all depth perception with a magnifying glass

Indeed @Mr Mansfield - but a magnifying headset has a lens for each eye so depth perception is kept as normal. They make a huge difference...

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Mr Mansfield said:

That must have taken hours! I tend to loose all depth perception with a magnifying glass & find I’m more accurate with a strong pair of read8ng glasses. You make me want to try harder on my next one 

I'd be surprised if there was as much as half an hour of painting, albeit spread over a couple of days, Two layers of black to get a solid layer for the dash, then carefully picking out the highlights. As for the magnifying headset, this is the one I use (although It appears to be out of stock at the moment I'm sure there are other cheap Chinese versions of them - they cost me £10.99). The depth of field is quite shallow as is usual for high magnifications, but good for close-up work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M2442NR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Sorry Homer for hijacking the thread!)

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Spiny said:

I'd be surprised if there was as much as half an hour of painting, albeit spread over a couple of days, Two layers of black to get a solid layer for the dash, then carefully picking out the highlights. As for the magnifying headset, this is the one I use (although It appears to be out of stock at the moment I'm sure there are other cheap Chinese versions of them - they cost me £10.99). The depth of field is quite shallow as is usual for high magnifications, but good for close-up work.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01M2442NR/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks @Spiny I've just ordered one!

Sorry @Homerlovesbeer Hopefully our small hijack has given you some ideas at least for your dials

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Spiny said:

. As for the magnifying headset, this is the one I use (although It appears to be out of stock at the moment I'm sure there are other cheap Chinese versions of them - they cost me £10.99). The depth of field is quite shallow as is usual for high magnifications, but good for close-up work.

Mine arrived a few days ago. Nice and clear but I find the LED light pretty average.

Do not pay £18 as it can be found on Ebay. I paid £11.50 inc shipping.

3 minutes ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

Mine arrived a few days ago. Nice and clear but I find the LED light pretty average.

Do not pay £18 as it can be found on Ebay. I paid £11.50 inc shipping.

I just paid £18 for mine :sad:

Those dials really don't look like the easiest. Maybe if you fill them with clear they might look a bit better, Once there's a steering wheel in front of them, it won't notice as much anyway

10 minutes ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

I should clarify.....I paid AU $22 which is about £11.50.

Perhaps shipping cheaper for me due closer to Asia?

That would make sense. But I'm not going to complain at £18

8 hours ago, Homerlovesbeer said:

Haha no worries fellas!

I tried painting dials white, adding a black wash and scratching off the wash to reveal the white dial.

I think sometimes when it's a small item like this, there comes a time where you have to take a view on it. This one has definitely been fighting you, but you have something which looks ok now, and as said before will disappear behind the steering wheel anyway. The work being put into this will (unfortunately) be much less noticeable than any imperfections in the paint, even though you will know it's there. Take the result you have now and move on would be my advice.

• Like 2