14 hours ago, modelling minion said:

Just read this through from start to finish John and wow! What a build!

Your attention to detail and scratchbuilding skills really do show through, absolutely fantastic. The painted on markings are really good too, who needs decals eh!

Top work all round.

Hi fellow Minion, and thank you very much for the comments. They're much appreciated.

John.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, PlaStix said:

As always John, your attention to all the small details and your shear craftmanship has taken your project to the next level. Awesome 1/48 modelling! :worthy:

I'm looking forward to seeing it on it's base.

Kind regards,

Stix

Many thanks Stix for your kind words. It's just about finished now and I hope to put the finished article on here this afternoon/evening.

John.

• Like 1

OK, so these are the final jobs before making a base and putting it in RFI. I had to change the base for the forward aerial as it was too small to take the carbon fibre aerial. I’d used .5mm tube, but changed it for .8mm instead.

9a3073ad-9bf6-4766-b731-61a95da53ec3.JPG

The barrel on the commander’s MG was changed for a brass one from RB Models. Much better.

daded88c-dd78-4697-aa77-d68b1733e1c0.JPG

I made up some kit stowage from paper towel soaked in dilute PVA glue and rolled. Once dry, it was painted and weathered and I also added a chain and a rope made from cotton thread.

e0e9284b-ec88-4a8e-9acb-a9c2c56e5d71.JPG

The last item that I added was again something that Tamiya had missed off, namely the hinged cover that goes over the RH intake. It has a bow in it, and to reproduce this, I cut a small piece from a ball point pen case, and super glued card either side. I made hinge from card strip and then super glued it in place.

c690b1fa-0bc2-440c-bb63-bc9ffb18335f.JPG

2871c923-5ad0-43fc-9a5b-c22bab3380aa.JPG

This has been an interesting and enjoyable build. I just wonder if the AM people will realise the potential in producing conversion parts for a Tiran. I hope so as I would like to do some more.

So as the late comedian Jimmy Wheeler (you have to be of a certain age) used to say, “Aye, aye! That’s your lot”.

Thanks for all the comments and likes.

John.

• Like 14

11 hours ago, modelling minion said:

An excellent result John, making great little additions right up to the end, and they really make a difference.

Thanks a lot. It was a struggle at times and I thought that I'd bitten off more than I could chew, but I'm glad that I persevered.

John.

5 hours ago, BLACKCODE said:

hi ! Well... the only word I could say about your work is : A W S O M E !!!🖐️😉

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Excellent work John, looks the job. Looking forward to seeing on a base in the RFI.

Stuart

Thanks to you both for the comments. I've made a start on the base, so it should be finished in a couple of days time.

John.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Jasper dog said:

Just gets better, the replacement mg barrel is a great improvement, the small details make the difference. 

Darryl 

'Morning Darryl. Thanks for the comments. Yes, the RB barrels are a vast improvement. The only problem is painting. Even when sprayed, the inner barrel (as opposed to the cooling jacket), remains brass and shows through. To get around this, I've started brushing them with inks as this penetrates better.

John.

• 1 year later...

I was searching for Tiran builds for some inspiration and found this thread as well as the gallery page and this is a fantastic build. I love all the scratch building going on. I've yet to touch my tamiya t-55 1/48 kit but this would be an excellent way to go.

4 hours ago, sardaukar said:

I was searching for Tiran builds for some inspiration and found this thread as well as the gallery page and this is a fantastic build. I love all the scratch building going on. I've yet to touch my tamiya t-55 1/48 kit but this would be an excellent way to go.

Many thanks. It's a great kit. The only things missing from it are the small running lights, but someone does some 3D printed ones. I'll be doing a Tiran 5 once I can source a 105mm main gun in 1/48th scale.

John.

3 hours ago, Bullbasket said:

Many thanks. It's a great kit. The only things missing from it are the small running lights, but someone does some 3D printed ones. I'll be doing a Tiran 5 once I can source a 105mm main gun in 1/48th scale.

John.

Hopefully someone is working on a tiran conversion kit in 1/48 including barrel. There must be other L7 equipped tanks in 1/48, but bit of a waste of a kit just for the barrel.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, sardaukar said:

Hopefully someone is working on a tiran conversion kit in 1/48 including barrel. There must be other L7 equipped tanks in 1/48, but bit of a waste of a kit just for the barrel.

I have made barrels from scratch in the past, so when I get some spare time (whatever that is), I might mess around with some different diameters of tubing and see what I can come up with.

John.

• Like 1