Somewhat obscure CA/SH 1/48 Fiat G55 question

Jon Bryon

Hello all,

I'm making the Special Hobby 1/48 Fiat G55A and I don't like the canopy. I think the framing is significantly wrong. I am contemplating sanding all the framing off, but that's high risk given the potential for fracturing the plastic.

I see Falcon make a vac-form canopy for the Classic Airframes G55.

Has anyone tried fitting the Falcon canopy to the SH kit in the *closed* position? I know people have done it with an open canopy, but I don't want it open. Or, failing that, does anyone have both kits and can comment on how similar the cockpit openings are?

Any help much appreciated

Jon

Can't answer the question about an alternate fit, but to guard against breakage when sanding the frame, what if you filled the inside with some kind of malleable material?   I'm thinking of a product like play-doh or poster tac?  Something more sturdier in the form of two part epoxy would be even better, just wait for it to cure into shape.  Of course, you will have to sprinkle some powder into the clear part so the putty doesn't adhere to it permanently.

regards,

Jack

I pretty much fill the inside of injected canopies with dental stone or plaster of Paris; coat the inside of the canopy with mineral oil to prevent the material sticking to the canopy. This will allow sanding, polishing, and masking without flexing the canopy ans causing stress cracks. The dental stone is much harder and finer in consistency and makes great masters for vacuforming. My dentist gives me enough to do many canopies, or if you have a dental lab near where you live, I bet they would give you some; a pint jar will give you enough to do scores of canopies in 1/72 or 1/48 scale.

Mike

10 hours ago, dragonlanceHR said:

I'd venture to say that SH made the G.55 for CA, so the canopy should fit the SH kit.

Cheers,

Vedran

CA and SHB are different, I read some reference of inaccuracies of CA's older mould, while SHB is another. But why there are two sets of fuselage? I only have serie 0, so the other is for serie 1? I'll check my canopy parts.