1/72 Jaguar GR.1 drop tanks: availability.

Hi all,

I have a feeling that I already know the answer to this one but I thought I'd enquire anyway. I'm making progress with my Hasegawa Jaguar GR.1 and while it's probably a bit long in the tooth now, isn't a bad old kit. It is missing the vital drop tanks though and while I know they are available in some boxings  (there's one in the T.2 and I understand there's a pair in the Desert Storm release) you'd still need the tanks for those kits anyway.

With that in mind, I bought a pair of Pavla resin tanks which I only got around to looking at tonight. Oh dear! When I removed the pour block from one of them I was greeted with an ugly step, caused by mould misalignment. When I eyeballed it from the front it was so out of round as to be laughable. The second tank was even worse. To think that someone at Pavla looked at those and thought, "yeah, that'll do." The cross section is so far out that I honestly think that there's no option but to bin them. They really are utter garbage.

So, apart from those included in the aforementioned kits, did anyone else ever make them? I have a feeling that I'm going to have to buy some more Epo Putty and attempt to clone the one I have in my sole T.2 kit, but that's a very hit and miss process in itself. If nothing else, there's a gap in the market that needs filling........

Cheers,

Mark.

Not very well-versed on modern era RAF weenie cookers, but might Tornado GR1's have the same style external tanks? Not the Hindenbergers used in the Gulf War, but the 450 gallon ones? The fin configuration might be different. Did FreightDog do Jaguar/Tornado tanks?

Mike

3 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Not very well-versed on modern era RAF weenie cookers, but might Tornado GR1's have the same style external tanks? Not the Hindenbergers used in the Gulf War, but the 450 gallon ones?

No, these are different items. 

Cheers,

Andre

4 hours ago, lasermonkey said:

Thanks very much, gentlemen! I shall look into those.

Cheers,

Mark.

Italeri did 1/72  Jaguars- 1386S GR1 Gulf War Anniversary, 067 GR1, and 078 Jaguar A... I think two of these boxings came with external tanks- probably OOP but you might know somebody who could spare a set or find a kit at a decent price at a swap meet/contest. Not much help, I'm afraid. I had an Italeri  GR1, but sold it a while back.

Mike

Tne vintage C-Scale Jaguar weapons set include a pair of the 264 gallon tanks, cast in white metal (so best reinforce those landing gear).

Another kit option is Hobby Boss's Jaguar A or E, either of which includes a pair of the tanks - though it should be noted that the shape of these appears inaccurate, lacking the characteristic taper to the rear and with the anhedral fins seemingly too large.

• 2 years later...

I too ordered some from Pavia, they were molded OK but the fins had broken off. I recently bought an ECM pod and Phimat pod from Air Graphics for my hasegawa kit which I am really happy with.

I just realised that I forgot to comment on the Air Graphics tanks. Anyway, they were miles better than the Pavla ones. I shall likely go down this route again when I need more. I also bought the practice bomb carriers, which I was also happy with.