Bf.109 G-2 Almost a weekend build

Hello everyone,

A first build of this dreadful year, and a first made during the covid lockdown.

Eduard 109 G-2, the weekend box, with some seat belts, new wheels and ErrorMaster, I mean Aeromaster+kits own decals. As you can see from the original photo the cowl insignia is well oversized and the clog facing the wrong direction. Unlike the also oversized green heart provided by Aeromaster which I avoid using, I had no good replacement for that one in my decal stash.

My own interpretation of the BW photo of this plane, which is to me a G-1, because it has a pressurized canopy, with the full size backplate with no head rest for the pilot. Painted with AK real colors (62/63/76), Gunze (71) and MRP (04).

Hope you enjoy it!

Cheers!

C56319-E3-85-A1-4-A91-B90-A-CC6-A2-D6-C5

8-F889-C87-C917-4-E7-A-A351-E30-E6315-B8

DA737481-5-DB7-4-E19-9490-6-C4-A110-C9-F

157249-CD-8-E84-437-C-AD6-C-352-BA6-C09-

ADF45-C2-F-DD6-F-4-DC9-B421-F31-D42-F290

0-B249-AE4-C74-B-4760-99-A1-816-FE860-ED

CFF15-C2-F-D9-D0-4457-807-E-6-D7-E655327

4745-BE3-A-1-DEB-40-C7-8062-91613-CFCCE2

44-D812-F0-121-B-4230-BE99-FDBB693-CA874

3414890-C-FF71-4-D6-A-B60-B-D062-D33-D81

663-D4-BC0-CBC7-4-DAE-9-DD5-AFC9-C3-D548

63256-ECA-716-A-4880-B1-FF-1-D945-A1-F39

95517-A1-C-0-B7-E-4-F18-9-DA0-0-BAB01242

Edited by Holzhamer
  • Like 62
  • Thanks 3

Amazing! 🤯👏 I... don't know what else to say, speechless at this build and how fast you did it!

Also happens to be one of my favourite schemes for my favourite aircraft, and this kit is on my wishlist 😉

• Like 1

Top Job.

Am a bit wary of AK's Real Colors but those go well together and look good.

Well done.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, EpicPlastic said:

You mean you made that in just a couple of days? That's absolutely amazing.

I'd need months for that and wouldn't approach the quality i see in your build/paint.

Well done indeed, a beauty!

:gobsmacked::gobsmacked:

Thank you for the nice feedback, but my reference to an “almost weekend” was a bit misleading. The build took me a little over two weeks, probably a record time for me, but the kit comes from Eduard’s weekend box 

“Beautiful, I couldn't do that in 2 months, let alone 2 days. Love the worn look to the paint finish, how did you you do it? Thanks, Stu”

Stu, besides the 2 days that were more like 2 weeks build, I tried to replicate that worn look by using black basing and after all painting some highly diluted oils applied in specific areas. I think it turn ok, except in the wing roots where the initial flack paint exposing the aluminium got submerged by some oils intended to replicate dust from walking crews. 

Isn't it annoying when kit manufacturers (or even worse, aftermarket that you've paid extra for) make mistakes on decals like that unit badge, which are often impossible to replace from the spares box? Never mind, this is a wonderful BF109 which seriously looks the part!

• Like 1

Great looking Gustav, and excellent choice of decals and camouflage.....very good executed, i like it a lot.

Light color on upper wing surfaces are RLM02? Very interesting.

Best regards Djordje

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, djos said:

Great looking Gustav, and excellent choice of decals and camouflage.....very good executed, i like it a lot.

Light color on upper wing surfaces are RLM02? Very interesting.

Best regards Djordje

Djordje,

no 02 is present on the camouflage scheme. It’s the very similar Color if RLM 62, which I lighted a bit with white. A matter of personal taste, as is the interpretation of the B&W photo. Thanks!

3 hours ago, Holzhamer said:

Djordje,

no 02 is present on the camouflage scheme. It’s the very similar Color if RLM 62, which I lighted a bit with white. A matter of personal taste, as is the interpretation of the B&W photo. Thanks!

So is RLM 62 the light green? In that case what is the third colour, the beige?

I like your interpretation, where did you get the colour suggestion? I don't know for sure if there is a definite consensus on what colours these JG 54 109s actually used, if they are non-official or something else.

• Thanks 1

Let me rephrase this Vlad, the beige (more like a concrete type of color actually) is RLM 62 to which I added a couple of drops of white to lighten a bit more. The vivid green is RLM 63.

02 is present at the undercarriage and inside flaps and slats, and it’s very similar indeed to the 62, just more greenish.

As for JG.54 camouflage schemes, that’s more a pool of debate rather than consensus. I chose these colors only on a personal interpretation. Aeromaster decals called for a 79/02/71 option, who knows?

Thanks for the feedback!

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Holzhamer said:

As for JG.54 camouflage schemes, that’s more a pool of debate rather than consensus. I chose these colors only on a personal interpretation. Aeromaster decals called for a 79/02/71 option, who knows?

Given that Ken Merrick has actually inspected a surviving example (if an Fw190) in a Russian museum's store, perhaps he has a better idea than most?  He described them as the prewar 60 series., and I think that counts for rather more than the often-inspired assumptions that have been made over the years by those without his good fortune/contacts.  As for Errormaster, enough said.

Edited by Graham Boak
  • Like 1