Lille-Lesquin through WW2 (3/6) - 1943: Messerschmitt Me410 V/KG2 (Fine Molds 1/72)

Hello,

This project has been in my head for some time now. It all started with the assembly of Airfix latest Hurricane Mk.I in 1/72. The proposed scheme is for an aircraft from the 85 Squadron, when it was part of the Advanced Air Sticking Force, based at Lille-Seclin in France. From there my mind wandered and I started wondering if the base was operational all along the war.

After digging what I could on the internet (www.ww2.dk, IWM.org.uk just to mention a couple), it appears that this base was quite active. To support my research, I also procured a very detailed book on the airbase that has become today Lille International Airport: “LILLE-LESQUIN, d'hier à aujourd'hui” from Pierre-Antoine COUROUBLE.

spacer.png

Thank to those sources, I was able to identify a few aircrafts and squadrons that were based there. Hence, I decided to build one aircraft per year of the war, targeting the early part of each year.  Even if the war was not declared in early 1939, I still decided to include that year as it enables me to represent a French aircraft. 1940 is already represented by the RAF and the Hawker Hurricane. From 1941 to 1944, the airbase was called Lille-Süd and occupied by Luftwaffe units. In 1945, the RAF was back on that airfield that was now called B-51.

So, the plan is (date – airbase name – Aircraft – unit):

·         1939 – Lille Vendeville –  Les Mureaux 115 – GAO 501

·         1940 – Lille Seclin – Hawker Hurricane Mk.I – 85 Sq

·         1941 – Lille Süd – TBD

·         1942 – Lille Süd – TBD

·         1943 – Lille Süd – Messerschmitt Me410 – V/KG2

·         1944 – Lille Süd – Focke-Wulf Fw190A-6 – I/JG26

·         1945 – B-51 – DeHavilland Mosquito NF.XIII – 604 Sq

As you can see, I still haven’t identified aircrafts and squadrons for 1941 and 1942. There will probably be a Heinkel He111, potentially from IV/KG53 in 1942 but it is difficult to confirm. Some sources tells that IV/KG53 was based in Lille-Nord... And then, what version of the He111?

In addition, there is a couple of picture in P-A COUROUBLE book that shows an Focke-Wulf Fw189B in front of the control tower. Unfortunately, it is not possible to read the ID of that aircraft nor to date it. Anyway, I should dig it out as Fw-189 would be a nice touch (especially as I have one waiting on my shelf of doom).

More on the models in the next post.

In the ,meantime, if anyone has information to share on years 1941 and 1942, it would be more than appreciated.

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 5

1939 – Mureaux 115.

The Mureaux 115 and 117 were observation aircrafts developed in France in the early ‘30s. In 1932, it was a very good aircraft. In 1939, it was another story. Fortunately for its crews, they were being replaced by the more modern Potez 63.11.

The GAO  (Groupe Aérien d’Observation) 501 equipped with the Mureaux 115 in 1938 and arrived at Lille Vendeville on 3rd September 1939 with nine serviceable Mureaux. It started to receive the new Potez in December 1939 and was fully operational on that type in May 1940.

Model wise, there is no injected kit enabling to build a Mureaux 115. Heller is proposing the Mureaux 117. That will be the base. The adaptation will be made thanks to Renaissance resin kit. Icing on the cake: Renaissance proposes also a decal sheet for the Mureaux 115 that enables a GAO501 scheme, when it was based at Lille airbase.

spacer.png

In term of documentation, there is a few builds that can be found on other forums. In addition, I’ve dig out a Replic magazine. I’ve also purchase French Wing n°3. I was lucky to find it has they are quite rare now.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 5

Hi Antoine,

this project of yours sounds exciting! Replic is always a great bible and French Wings 3 is the one I am looking to buy! I got the French Wings 1 last Xmas, about the Late 298. These are fantastic books.

The Mureaux 115 is quite a plane. I have a Heller Mureaux 117, but without decals, and Hannants do not seem to have any Carpena decals... So this conversion kit you are using may be the way out of the dead end, especially if it includes what looks like a nice decal sheet!

Anyway, I will follow this build, as it ticks all my boxes.

Have fun and good luck.

JR

• Like 1

1940 – Lille-Seclin airfield – Hurricane Mk.I

On 5 November 1939, Lille Vendeville airfield that is renamed Lille-Seclin by its new hosts is the home of the 60th Wing composed of the 85 and 87 Squadrons a. Both are part of the Air Component of the British Expeditionary Force. In addition to those fighter squadrons, two other units are based at Lille-Seclin airbase: the 615 Squadron equipped with Gladiators at that time and the Special Survey flight equipped with at least a Blenheim IV and a specially modified Spitfire PR1A. The RAF remains on the airfield until 19th May 1940.

This period of time was the starting point of this project. As already mentioned, Airfix proposes for its latest 1/72 Hurricane Mk.I two schemes for 85 Sq aircraft during their time at Lille-Seclin.

I completed that kit a couple of years ago and it can be found in the RFI section of this forum.

Note that the squadron marking is incorrectly placed. It should be turned so that edges are at 12, 2, 4, 6, 8 and 10 o'clock.

spacer.png

A few pictures dated 1939, in particular those taken during the visit of King Georges VI on 6th December 1939, show that the Hurricanes from the 85 Sq. and 87 Sq. were equipped with a two-blade propeller at that time. Other non-dated pictures show Hurricanes equipped with a three-blade propeller.

To represent an aircraft at a time around April/May 1940 (as planned for my project), using a three-blade propeller as proposed by Airfix can be a safe guess. I hope it is as this is how my Hurricane is completed. If not, building another of Airfix Hurricane would be my pleasure as it is really a very nice kit.

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 2

1941 – Flugplatz Lille-Vendeville

German troops arrived at the airfield on 28 May 1940. The first Luftwaffe aircraft, an Henshel Hs.123, landed on 1st June 1940. The base was then used by the Luftwaffe during the Battle of Britain and saw several different units, among which the KG53.

The plan was for the Luftwaffe to use the now named Flugplatz Vendeville as a major base in Northern occupied France. They stayed there for the next four years.

Many units were affected to the airfield, especially in the second half of 1940. A few pictures can be found in Lille-Seclin book.  Especially one of a Fw-189 in front of the control tower. Unfortunately, it is not possible to read any identification on that aircraft, but I would love to represent it.

For the year 1941, it is quite difficult to identify an aircraft type and a unit for the present project. It seems that KG53 equipped with He-111 was based on the airfield from July 1940 until June May 1941. More particularly, the Staffel 4, 5 and 6 of II/KG53. This looked to be confirmed by the KIA list of airmen based at Lille-Vendeville (provided in Appendix of the book).

However, on the website ww2.dk, there is no trace of the II/KG53 in Lille-Vendeville. It is given to be based at Lille-Nord instead.

So I am now looking for other sources to confirm or not that Lille-Süd was the airbase of II/KG53 in early 1941.

Another option seems to be the I/Aufkl GR 22, a reconnaissance group that was equipped with Junkers Ju-88. Once again, the two sources I have provide different information: ww2.dk/ indicates that it is I/Aufkl GR 122 that was based at Lille-Vendeville. But it seems as well that both units were indeed the same but at different dates. In addition, the book contradicts itself as it mentioned both I/Aufkl GR 22 and I/Aufkl GR 122 being based at the airfield at the same time.

So, it should probably be I/Aufkl GR 122.

Now, what type of aircraft the I/Aufkl GR 122 operated in early 1941?

While digging into http://www.luftwaffedata.co.uk, I found out that this unit might have been equipped with Junkers Ju-88 D-2 . D-2 were A-5 that were modified for reconnaissance, with the underwing dive brakes removed and camera ports in the rear bomb bay doors. A-5 were A-1 with new extended wings, like the A-4 and with Jumo 211B, G or H, unlike the A-4 which is equipped with Jumo 211J with a prominent fairing under the engine.

Having a Ju-88A-4 in my stash, that means I would have to do some (heavy) adaptation, either using Blackbird Model for Italeri A-4 or starting from the incoming A-1 from Revell.

Long story short, the Ju88 D-2 option would be a difficult jouney.

So, for 1941, the model is still to  be decided.

1942 – Flugplatz Lille-Vendeville

Year 1942 is even more tricky than 1941.

It seems that IV/KG53 was based there at that time. But again, only Bruno Bonduelle book provides that information.

Another information that can be found it that book is a story of aborted sabotage of Messerschmitt aircraft by the local resistance. The plan was to introduce time delayed grenade in the ‘orifice in the tail’. The only Messerschmitt aircrafts I know with ‘orifice in the tail’ is the Bf-109. The only trace of a fighter unit I can found is III/JG26 (thanks to the KIA list). So it looks like we’ve got something.

However, as for the KG53 in 1941, I would like to find some more information before taking any decision. Besides, the type of 109 still has to be defined. Would that be an F or an early G?

Finally, August 1942 saw the raid on Dieppe. Figuring an aircraft that was involved would be nice.

S, still some work on 1942 too.

1943 – Flugplatz Lille-Vendeville – Messerschmitt Me-410

This year is easier. Indeed, both references mentioned the same unit at the same time: V/KG2 equipped with Messerschmitt Me-410. In addition, this is also an option offered by FineMolds in one of their Me-410 boxing.

Lucky me, I had one in my stash but for the reconnaissance version (with parts for the fighter bomber version). After a quick email exchange with the manufacturer, I was able to purchase one spare decal sheet for the scheme I was looking for (thanks again to Hiro).

In term of documentation, once again I will use a Replic and also Mushroom volume on Me-210 and Me-410.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine

This looks like an interesting project!

I'm no expert but the Hurricanes are quite a minefield, with different windschields, radio masts, and all sorts of other variations. I think most were metal winged by that time but there could certainly have been some fabric wing ones left. Also the Airfix kit is inaccurate there as I believe there should be metal panels behind the gun ammunition lockers.

For the Mureaux, this post may be helpful if you haven't seen it yet.

I will be following this with interest!

Ian

• Like 1

Hello Ian,

Thank you for your interest and for the link.

With regards to the Hurricane, you are right. In the end, I may end-up doing a new one, maybe with the two blade propeller that can be seen during the King's visit.

Cheers,

Antoine

1944 – Flugplatz Lille-Vendeville – Focke-Wulf Fw190 A-? – Joseph Priller.

For 1944, the sources I have agree on the affectation to Lille-Vendeville of Stab/JG26, and more particularly of Joseph Priller. Note that JG26 was at Vendeville before 1944. Maybe more documented people could complete/confirm.

The most commonly known aircraft of Priller at that time is the Fw190A-8 ‘black 13’ that he presumably flew with over Juno, Sword and Omaha beach on D-Day.

Picture of Priller showing an Fw190A-8 with its personal marking ‘Jutta’ to Rommel can be found in many places. This visit took place on 5th January 1944. Hence, for that early part of 1944, I would not be wrong by using that option for my project.

But then, why Xtradecal, that is known for being accurate, does provide an A-6 with chevron and bars and with the ‘Jutta’ marking on its D-Day package (ref 72197)? They even provide a WerkNummer and indicate it was flown by Priller. And why would Priller flow on an A-6 in June when he had an A-8 in January? This requires some investigation…

spacer.png

Note that it is said that, for that famous mission during D-Day, Priller took off from Bondues  instead of Vendeville (source ‘Memoires de Lesquin’ Facebook page, dated 6 June 2019). Are those linked?

In terms of model, I will use Eduard superb Fw-190A-8 in its weekend edition. But then I have to find black stencils to represent the ‘13’ and pictures of the complete aircraft.

Or, if confirmed, I can also use Xtradecal proposed scheme and modify the A-8 into an A-6 (all the required parts are in Eduard boxing, some surgery to accommodate the central landing gear bay doors might be required though).

spacer.png

In term of documentation, I have a few sources on that aircraft… who doesn’t? A couple of them provide pictures of Priller’s A-8.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine

1945 – Airfiled B-51 Lille-Vendeville

The airfield and its vicinities were liberated on 3rd September 1944 after a brief but deadly battle. The first to land on the airfield were the Spitfires of 131 Wing, in mid-September 1944. Followed Typhoons from 146 Wing and also Free French Spitfires from 145 Wing. Those fighter-bomber units quickly left Vendeville to stay close to the front quickly advancing front. They are replaced by night fighter squadrons that stayed there until end of April 1945. Among those can be found 604 Sq “Country of Warwick”. A few pictures of their NF.XIII can be found, especially on the IWM website.

For the model, Tamiya provides a very nice representation of the NF.XIII.

For the colour scheme, Printscale provides marking for NG-X from the 604 Sq in July 1944 with invasion stripes. I really like invasion stripes on aircraft but pictures clearly show that the 604 Sq doesn’t wear stripes during the winter 44 anymore. So, as long as nobody can prove I am wrong, I will go for that option.

spacer.png

In term of documentation, I have the MDF 1 on the Mosquito. Unfortunately, it is in storage, out of reach during the current days… So I have to rely on some WingMasters that provide detailed built of 1/24 and 1/38 models. This will be plenty enough thanks to the quality of Tamiya's kit.

spacer.png

At last, we’ll start to really talk about gluing some plastic with the next post.

Cheers,

Antoine

Hi,

To start this project, I have decided to build maybe the easiest kit of all: the Tamiya Mosquito. And to be completely honest, I have already started.

In the cockpit, there aren’t many things to add. Nevertheless, I’ve added Yahu instrument panel. It was bought at the same time of the kit but in the end, a good paint with some dry brushing would have been enough. I added also some wiring on the right side of the cockpit and etched seat belts.

This kit has two areas that can be improved.

First, the Mosquito has a frame on the inside of the canopy. Tamiya’s way to represent it is to paint that frame on the canopy with the inside colour. This doesn’t sound satisfactory to me so I managed to rebuilt a frame, piece by piece, using green painted plastic rods that I glued with PVA glue on the inside of the canopy. We’ll see the results once the masks are removed.

spacer.png

The second element is the junction on upper and lower wings at the back of the nacelles. It is a butt joint with no support. In order to get a nice finish, I had to use al lot of putty and some plastic strips… In the end, it is not perfect but good enough.

The rest is quite straight forward; a good Tamiya kit and I was able to move quickly to the pain stage. First the Medium Sea Gray (Gunze H335) and then the Dark Green (H330), using blue tack for the limits. To give some ‘life’ to both colours, I sprayed the colours mixed with some white on a few panels.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Time to go to bed now.

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello,

Sorry, this is supposed to be a WIP and here I have a finished Mosquito with no real milestones… I’ll try to do better on the next build.

As an excuse, this Mosquito is a Tamiya kit. So, no trouble in the assembly… except the two points raised in my previous post.

Additional work just consists in drilling holes in the mudguard of the main landing gears.

spacer.png

For the decals, I’ve used Printscale ones only for the codes. Roundels and stencils are Tamiya’s. Just a small warning for those last ones: their adherence is really good and suffices to itself and I got a couple more grey hairs when I tried to move the first one after I used some Micro Sol, as I usually do. On the other hand, their behaviour to Micro Set is quite good and the end results is just fine, even the tricky ‘no step’ zone over the wings, inboard of the engine nacelles.

spacer.png

One point I am not happy with at all on that build is due only to myself. The scheme for this night fighter Mosquito is Dark Green and Medium Sea Grey. For the dark green, Gunze offer (H330 or H73… don’t really see the difference) is quite accurate, from my humble point of view. Medium Sea Grey on the other hand is a trap when it comes to Gunze Aqueous. Indeed, what they call Medium Sea Grey (H335) is closer to the Ocean Grey to my eyes. Usually, as for Medium Sea Grey, I use Gunze H306. Where I am not happy at all is that I know it as I wrote it in my own colour chart. Same for the interior green: I applied H319 instead of H312. Maybe this all was a travel into the dark side of modelling. When I came back to my senses, into the bright side, it was too late: the decals were already applied. But maybe some master modellers could bring light to humble padawans with regards to late RAF colours using Gunze Aqueous.

I’ll post some pictures of the completed pictures tomorrow, as it is too late tonight for an outdoor session (it would be a shame to do it indoor with the lovely weather we have those days).

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 2

Hi,

As promised, here a few pictures of the finished Mosquito.

As a reminder, this aircraft belonged to the 604Sq “City of Warwick”. It was based at Lille B-51 from 31st December 1944 up to 17 April 1945.

Hope you like it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Hi,

I haven’t been very active on the forum for some time. I needed a WIP-break after completing the Corsair II. However, I have remained modelling-active with many on-going projects (too many…)

The one of interest here is the Messerschmitt Me-410. This is a Fine Molds kit in 1/72 scale. I had built it many many years ago (in the previous century…) and keep a nice memory of it.

spacer.png

I had one in my stash for many many years (since this century though…). It is the recce version with additional parts for the bulged bay doors that accommodate the recce camera(s).

spacer.png

spacer.png

As explained, I’m planning to represent a V/KG2 aircraft in 1943.

spacer.png

Fortunately Fine Molds proposes this scheme for one of their boxes…  but of course not for the one I have. After a brief kind email exchange with Fine Molds customer support, I was able to purchase the right decal sheets. Of course, I didn’t check the instruction well enough and forgot to order the exhaust tube for the night intruder version at the same time…

The assembly starts classically with the cockpit. No surprise there. It is well laid out. The instruments are made in raised details with decals sheets to be placed over them (with the help of MicroSol solution). The instruction tells you to paint the cockpit in pale green RLM02. However, German cockpit colour at this time is normally dark grey RLM66. Going through my documentation doesn’t really help as they are mainly black and white pictures and a cockpit is –always- dark. There are colour pictures though of the Me-410 preserved in Cosford. The cockpit is painted in a blue-ish colour that doesn’t look  either RLM02 nor RLM66. So I decided to go for the RLM66 for the cockpit and the classic RLM02 for the other interior parts (gun bay, landing gear bays, radiators). Eduard seat belts were the only addition (so far…). The fuselage and the engine nacelles were then assembled. Followed by the wing. And this is when some fit issues started to appear, especially at the engine interfaces.

spacer.png

But more about that next time.

Good night and stay safe,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 3

18 hours ago, AntoineG said:

But more about that next time.

The 410 is one of the kits on my wishlist, so following to see what it takes :)

Like the project approach 👍🏼 Planning something similar for our local airfield. It isn't that large though :P

• Like 1

Hello,

@Ray S, @atl-92, welcome on-board!

It has been difficult days lately for modelling. My ‘workshop’ was indeed among the hottest room in the house.  Modelling hours have been adapted so that work requiring a mask are done in the morning and just a few prep works without mask done in late afternoon (and evenings are for forum browsing )

So back to the 410.

When I started it, I planned (as too often) for a quick built. I remembered indeed a lovely kit with no issue. Today, I still think this is a lovely kit, but with a few issues.

It started with the wing assembly. Fine Molds provides nice details for the landing gear bays. It will be mainly hidden on the completed model, but, hey, you know it is there 🧐

spacer.png

The first issue appears when assembling the wings. On the right engine, the upper engine cowling is larger than the lower one. One the actual aircraft, this location is made on one single part. So correction is required.

The engines are supposed to be positioned on the wings thanks to two locating pins on each wing. However, when trying to use them, the result was far from satisfactory. The only option was to remove those pin and to place the engines as best as possible.

.spacer.png

Finally, there was a large gap between the fuselage and the right wing that I filled with a strip of plastic. Once the glue has dried, I tries to cut the exceeding plastic but was a bit too ‘enthusiast’ so I had to use a bit of filler. The dymo tape was used to get the right ‘step ‘ effect on the karman... after some sanding (will post a picture of the end result next time - done)

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

At that time, I also drilled the air inlets. From my humble opinion, this is a quick and easy improvement. Not easy to drill a oval inlet though...

spacer.png

That’s all for tonight.

Cheers,

Antoine

Edited by AntoineG
  • Like 1

Hi,

For the wing root upgrade, I have posted a photo in the previous post.

One of the first things I have done with this kit were the propellers.

No big deal here. Just a small paint challenge for the version I am looking for. Fine Molds proposes a decal for the white circle on the front of the spinner. I was not sure of the end results: lot of decal softener would be needed and not sure that the white of the decal would match the white of the paint. So, to get a nice round shape, I used section of stroke temporarily attached to the spinner with PVA glue. The end result looks quite good to my eyes.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine

• Like 1

Hi,

Thank you @Ray S

Work continues on the Me410, and more particularly in the cockpit area.

Between the two crew ‘offices’, there are internal frames that are quite visible and that Fine Molds hasn’t reproduced. With a few stretched sprues, this is quickly solved.

spacer.png

The nose section and the bomb bay doors were also glued at that time. The latest required some putty and a couple of engraving update.

spacer.png

By the way, as I am getting close to the end of my Tamiya Putty tube, I discovered that it is not produced anymore. Does anyone have more information? To replace it, I have ordered AK Interactive one. Do you know it? Is there any other you would recommend?

Back to the kit!

Fine Molds canopy is provided in three parts and can only be assembled in closed position.

spacer.png

As I wanted to have the canopy open in order to see the internal details, I first tried to adapt Falcon vacuformed canopy. It was designed for Matchbox kit and apparently Matchbox and Fine Molds have different point of views with regards to the fuselage width…

spacer.png

So, Plan B is to cut carefully Fine Molds canopy parts. This gives you a nice jigsaw… The opened parts will come from Falcon canopy.

spacer.png

Cheers,

Antoine