Mark 1 Models Avro 748 1/144 scale

26Decals

1 hour ago, Truro Model Builder said:

So, what chance an Andover C.1?

Yes please, then I could have one of these for a Mt Cook Airlines aircraft & a C.1 in RNZAF colours. Prices seem better than similarly sized models from an EASTERN European manufacturer I could mention too. ;)

Steve.

Mark I Models is to release 1/144th Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover kits.

Sprue

MKM144120-4.jpg

- ref. MKM144120 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover Military ‘Europe’ (RAF, RAE, Belgian AF)

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MKM144120

MKM144120.jpg

MKM144120-1.jpg

MKM144120-2.jpg

- ref. MKM144121 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover Military ‘Asia & Australia' (RAF ME, RAAF, Royal Thai AF)

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MKM144121

MKM144121.jpg

MKM144121-1.jpg

MKM144121-2.jpg

- ref. MKM144122 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748/British Aerospace BAe.748 ‘Civil Livery’ (Autair, Scottish European, DLT)

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MKM144122

MKM144122-2.jpg

MKM144122-3.jpg

MKM144122-4.jpg

V.P.

• Like 4

Oh no! There I was thinking I was being a good boy and not buying models, and you show us these!

The Aden plane is my favourite, and then there is the Scottish European, oh, and the Royal Thai one, and the Raspberry Ripple! What have you done!

Yours,

Ray whathastofindsomemoney

I'm fairly sure that those of the Andover had little visual difference to the wings and tailplanes of the 748, at least nothing that would be noticeable in 1/144 scale. With that said, all that would be required would be a new fuselage.

In the meantime I rather like the thought of combining the 748 with the radome of a Heller E-2 Hawkeye that is sitting in the stash... :hmmm:

7 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

........... all that would be required would be a new fuselage.

When these used to land at our airbase, I believe they had a scissor-like undercarriage assembly which would adopt a 'kneeling' attitude for loading via the rear hatch.  In image of this can be seen on Wikipedia.  I would imagine that two sets of different undercarriage assemblies would need to be produced for the C.1 version.

Edit:  I've since learned that the aircraft I saw were from 52 Sqn RAF Seletar.

Mike

8 hours ago, Truro Model Builder said:

I'm fairly sure that those of the Andover had little visual difference to the wings and tailplanes of the 748, at least nothing that would be noticeable in 1/144 scale. With that said, all that would be required would be a new fuselage.

Apart from the new fuselage, the wings were extended in span inboard of the nacelles but reduced in span at the tips so the overall span was the same. The nacelles and tailplanes are different.

Steve

• Like 1

Yes, I was aware of the kneeling undercarriage, which is not so much of an issue, though it does give the Andover a somewhat fetchingly quaint stance.

I have read up on the wing differences. The nacelles were moved outwards by 18 inches with the same removed from the wingtips. In 1/144 scale that equates to approximately 3mm, which is just enough to cause a lot of arguments.

Edited by Truro Model Builder
  • Like 1

The tail plane is different on the Andover aswel, really it would need a whole new kit to do it properly.

I would have been interested in this had it had clear cockpit glazing.

23 hours ago, 26Decals said:

My recent 748 decals are actually for the new Authentic Airliners kit but they will be adjusted to fit the Mark 1 kit if necessary  :)

Well done Ray - can we have a Queens Flight Andover CC2 please?  Disappointed that one of the boxings includes XS789 in the short-lived boring toned-down grey scheme when its claim-to-fame was with the Queens Flight for some 25 years!

Edited by AMB
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Released

- ref. MKM144120 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover Military ‘Europe’ (RAF, RAE, Belgian AF)

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/hawker-siddely-hs748andover-military-europe-raf-rae-belgian-af-mkm144120-mark1-mkm144120-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=169715

- ref. MKM144121 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover Military ‘Asia & Australia' (RAF ME, RAAF, Royal Thai AF)

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/hawker-siddely-hs748andover-military-asia--australia-raf-me-raaf-royal-thai-af-mkm144121-mark1-mkm144121-aircraft-scale-modelling/product/?action=prodinfo&art=169716

- ref. MKM144122 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748/British Aerospace BAe.748 ‘Civil Livery’ (Autair, Scottish European, DLT)

https://www.aviationmegastore.com/hawker-siddely-hs748bae748-civil-livery-autair-scottish-european-dlt-mkm144122-mark1-mkm144122-airliner-modelling-kits/product/?action=prodinfo&art=169717

169715_0.jpg 169716_0.jpg 169717_0.jpg

MKM144130.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

New boxings

- ref. 144130 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover / HAL-748 ‘VIP Service’ (RAF, Indian AF, Brazilian AF) 

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MKM144130

MKM144130-2.jpg

MKM144130-3.jpg

MKM144130-4.jpg

- ref. 144131 - Hawker-Siddeley HS.748 Andover "The Budgie" (Dan-Air Skyways, Chieftain Airways, Aeropostal Venezuela)

Source: https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/MKM144131

MKM144131.jpg

MKM144131-1.jpg

MKM144131-2.jpg

V.P.

Edited by Homebee
  • Like 3

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I have the UK airlines release of this kit and it's very nice - if tiny. But mostly I just hope that when they run out of new schemes they upscale it to 1/72. It's a real head scratcher to me why no mainstream producer has ever kitted this - hundreds of schemes to choose from, civil and military, and the option to tweak the moulds and do the military Andover version with rear-loading ramp. Total lack of patriotism from Airfix when they brought out the rival Dutch F27 way back when. Did no one pick up the S&M moulds or CAD when Mel sadly passed away a few years ago?

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Middo said:

id no one pick up the S&M moulds or CAD when Mel sadly passed away a few years ago?

I share your hopes for a 1/72 version, but I'm afraid Mark 1 is not the tree to bark up.  I'm unaware of any CAD.  Mel pushed the idea on Didier at Mach 2 and furnished him a built resin model in 1/72 as a reference.  Didier told me that this resin was not a "master," had wings so badly warped they reminded him of FROG Penguin models, and from his description it appears to be AIM's old RugRat Resins kit, with its shape flaws around the cockpit.  Regarding next steps: Mach 2 may do this in the next few years, but it is not Didier's priority.  AIM will do a printed version in the next few years, hopefully with corrections.  But you, I and many others besides would prefer an injection-molded kit.

Hawker Siddeley HS.748 in 1/72 sounds like a typical Valom project;

a medium sized British twin-engined aircraft with military and civilian usage that hasn`t been kitted and unlikely to attract the attention of Airfix or Revell.

Edited by LN-KEH

4 hours ago, TheyJammedKenny! said:

I share your hopes for a 1/72 version, but I'm afraid Mark 1 is not the tree to bark up.  I'm unaware of any CAD.  Mel pushed the idea on Didier at Mach 2 and furnished him a built resin model in 1/72 as a reference.  Didier told me that this resin was not a "master," had wings so badly warped they reminded him of FROG Penguin models, and from his description it appears to be AIM's old RugRat Resins kit, with its shape flaws around the cockpit.  Regarding next steps: Mach 2 may do this in the next few years, but it is not Didier's priority.  AIM will do a printed version in the next few years, hopefully with corrections.  But you, I and many others besides would prefer an injection-molded kit.

I doubt if I would be the only one who would find the Mach 2 man's comments about inaccuracies around the cockpit area somewhat ironic. Has he never compared his VC10 cockpit to a side view of the real thing?

1 hour ago, LN-KEH said:

Hawker Siddeley HS.748 in 1/72 sounds like a typical Valom project;

a medium sized British twin-engined aircraft with military and civilian usage that hasn`t been kitted and unlikely to attract the attention of Airfix or Revell.

Yes, agreed, a perfect fit for them: no bigger than a De Havilland DH.91 and much smaller than a C-46, both of which they have done. I have pretty much all of their transport releases and hope they get there before Mach 2 do - there's would be half the price and a much more straightforward build in many different boxings.