All Cargo Britannia

This is my latest creation based on the Roden 144th Britannia. All Cargo Airlines 5y-ayr was painted by my father and me in the hangar at Manston in the middle of winter giving us a hard time! Hope you like it.

DSCF3342

DSCF3309

DSCF3318

DSCF3312

DSCF3321

• Like 45

Very fine build. Isn't it nice when you have a connection of some kind with the real airplane you're building a model of?  I've had that opportunity twice, and it was awesome!

• Like 1

Great job of a real british classic, well done.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                               Cheers Michael.                          

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Britman said:

painted by my father and me in the hangar at Manston

Hi,

Well there's not many people can say that!

Love the model, superb finish. Another to add to your growing collection, are you planning building one from each of the Britannia operators?

Cheers,

Ian

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Turbofan said:

Hi,

Well there's not many people can say that!

Love the model, superb finish. Another to add to your growing collection, are you planning building one from each of the Britannia operators?

Cheers,

Ian

Thank you for the compliment Ian. The "plan" is to build the aircraft that I had close involvement during my time at Manston. Redcoat and Aer Turas  were regulars both for ops and maintenance. The two house aircraft VF and CF are obviously a must in their Invicta guise. The nice thing is that if I trace their histories back I have an excuse to model BOAC , Monarch , Donaldson etc. 

Keith.

38 minutes ago, Abandoned Project said:

Very smart. I like it a lot. An unusual scheme but with very clean lines and a I love the logo on the tail.

:goodjob:

We had a very talented signwriter called Dick Hambridge. Dick drew up all the logos in his workshop at home on tracing paper. He and I chalked the design on the aircraft and whilst he painted the edges I blocked it in. The original plan was for a one inch red demarcation along the base of the top colour (no idea what colour paint ) but we didn't get the time!

Keith.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Very nice. :). I remember seeing 5Y-AYR but, I think, in Aftican International colours. What a beautiful machine the Brit was? You've done her proud.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, RidgeRunner said:

Very nice. :). I remember seeing 5Y-AYR but, I think, in Aftican Internationsl colours. What a beautiful machine the Brit was? You've done her proud.

Martin

Correction - I checked my log books - it was African Safari. There were a few of those around in those days. 5Y-ANS was the African International machine. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

A bit late to the party but just noticed this: lovely job. I remember 5Y-AYR with fondness, in its guises with ACA and Gaylan. Hope you don't mind me posting a few photos. Not very good I'm afraid: shot either with an awful Minolta 110 camera or a Zenit SLR in less-than-perfect weather. The aircraft ended up at Hurn, engineless and largely hidden away. Last I saw was her nose in a garden at Nursery Road in Bournemouth. That would probably be mid-1980s but no idea where it went after that.

Bournemouth Air Display 21 and 22Jul79 (8)

Bournemouth Air Display 21 and 22Jul79 (2)

Hurn (160)

Hurn (164)

Hurn (165)

Hurn (197)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1