Classic airliners

I've fancied doing something a bit different for a while now, and having found these nice kits of classic airliners for decent value I thought I'd give them a go while I wait for decals for my yellow Whirlwind. Still waiting for the postie to bring a Roden DC-7 in JAL livery too.

I'll make the Comet and Vanguard oob, including decals, but the 707 I'm planning to do as Pan Am. Just not sure which one to start first. I haven't made a 1/144 airliner since my teens.

spacer.png

• Like 9

Decided to start with the Comet. It looks the simplest and I'll do it exactly out of the box. Nice box artwork and smart decals. No fuselage windows, they're all on the decal sheet.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Need to remember nose weight! And work hard to remove the fuselage join line that will inevitably occur.

• Like 3

The fuselage is pretty basic with almost no interior, just two round bulkheads. No cockpit features, but given the tiny window I don't think that's an issue. So it's already sealed together and I made a start on sanding away the joins.

spacer.png

• Like 5

Despite vigorous sanding with three different grades of file, the primer shows there's still a join line. 

spacer.png

I'll let it dry then get back to more filing until it's gone!

Edited by Lord Riot
  • Like 3

I've sprayed the silver on the wings, now all masked up ready for the bright red sections. Once that's dry I'll glue them on and fill the gaps where they join the fuselage, then paint the lower fuselage pale grey.

spacer.png

• Like 2

Starting to look a bit like a Comet, hopefully! I had to touch up a few tiny bits of red and silver but it looks reasonable from a distance. Big job on next though; the fit of the wing section to the lower fuselage is quite poor and will need a fair amount of filler unfortunately. 

spacer.png

Does anyone know if this is likely to need a dirt wash or would they have been super clean?

• Like 5

Ooo airliners! Love a good comet, really would like one and a Nimrod to go with it of course (waiting for a good 1/144 kit then I'm gonna build a bunch of them).

I want to build an Avro Atlantic at some point, obviously never built in reality, and I think a 1/144 comet fuselage would be a good starting point... 

Anyway, looks good so far, can't wait to see this finished. I'll follow along so I can see your progress.

• Like 1

A bit of sanding and it should be smooth enough for the grey. Just waiting for the postie to bring my light grey and midnight blue!

IMG09871588628261.jpg

• Like 1

All the painting done, just ready for decals now. One thing I like about cheat lines is I don't need to paint a straight demarcation line! The Humbrol 15 midnight blue is a nice colour. Need to stir the pot well though!

spacer.png

Lessons learned with this are spray paint everything! I thought the grey would go on smoother but there are still brush marks when you look closely. This is definitely better viewed from social distance but as my first airliner I'm ok with it.

spacer.png

• Like 1