Thinning new Tamiya paint for airbrush use

glueman

Hi everyone,

I’m struggling trying to get the right consistency of paint (paint to thinner) for my airbrush.

I’m using a KKmoon AB at 18-20psi. I’m trying to get a ratio of about 60:40 thinners to paint as follows. I have a thimble that I use to measure out the paint: half thimble xf83 + half thimble x22.  I mix that with one full thimble of Tamiya thinners. That should give me a 50:50 thinners to paint ratio but the paint is always way too thin when on the model.

I’m at a loss as to why the paint is so thin every time. Hope someone can point me in the right direction. 

Many thanks 

Pete

A tip I picked up from a demo at SMW several years ago was to mix the paint in the airbrush cup.  Add the thinner then use an old but sound paintbrush to transfer paint to the cup and mix it.  It allows very great variation in thinner: paint ratio  and allows you to see what the mix is doing.  You can test it easily, and if you over thicken it a few drops of thinner can correct it.  Your first spray run tends to be a bit more thinner until the paint arrives at the nozzle, but that is not a bad thing.  The technique also supports really mixing small amounts of paint for detail work.  Of course, if you want a custom mix for a large area you either need to count the brush loads accurately or mix the basic paint first.  I found  that using this route really helped me take control of the airbrush, and develop a feel for how the different paint/thinner mixes behave.  For example, Tamiya with its own thinner does not spray the same as it does thinners with Gunze self levelling thinner, so I change ratios until it feels about right.  I pre-mix certain things like Halfords Appliance White, but 90% of my painting is done mixing paint and thinner in the airbrush cup.  

Regards

Tim

Hi, Pete. I use a pipette for the thinner, but don't dip it in the "mix" so it stays clean.

Regards

Tim

I use some small metal mixing trays from Gunze that are perfect. Add thinner with a pipette and transfer paint with a wooden coffee stirrer one drop at a time to the required quantity. Then simply mix well and pour into the airbrush. Wipe the metal tray out with thinner, they are reusable and last forever..

Edited by Steve Noble

You don't think the fact half your paint is made up of clear gloss might be affecting how thin it appears? It's going to be much less opaque, regardless of viscosity. I like mixing X22 with Tamiya matt paint as it sprays much better, but I use perhaps a 1:5 ratio, just adding a couple of drops into my colour cup after thinning the paint in the cup to the desired consistency.

TBH, at 18-20 psi, you should be able to get away with less thinner than 50/50.

I thought x22 was thinner? Didn't realise you were mixing with x22 clear gloss? If that's what you're doing you'll make the paint translucent and it will appear thin and won't cover very well as the x22 gloss will make it see through...

Was just going to say, I reckon the X-22 is the problem here. I take a clean plastic ‘party’ shot glass and put my thinner in first (Gunze’s Mr. Color Leveling thinner). I’ll then add the paint to the thinner and mix until I’m happy. Pour the thinner / paint mix into the AB cup and adjust your air as required. Once your’e happy, spray some thinned Clear X-22 over the top to protect your paint and apply your decals. 

Cheers.. Dave 

Thanks everyone for your comments. 

The X22 ... I was following some of the paint schemes described in the Sci-Fi work in progress which described adding X22 to the matt paint.  Hopefully, I will get round to doing more tests over the next few days.  

I can build ... but I can't paint. Bane of my modelling life :( :( 

Pete

Having watched a few videos on YT I'm now trying out the droplet method whereby I add thinners (first) and paint (second) to the AB cup by counting droplets from a pipette.  I've been using the ratio 2 (paint) to 1 (thinners) mixing in the AB cup (10 droplets thinner - 20 droplets paint).  Results are brilliant, much better than before.  Also ... I've splashed out and purchased a Neo for Iwata AB ... and boy does that make a big difference.  Using the right tools for the job certainly does help to build confidence.   

Thanks again for all your helpful suggestions.

Pete

• Like 2

Hmm.... I found I had excellent coverage on a 3:2 thinner/paint droplet ration. 3 drops of thinner to 2 drops paint. Albeit, I did go over a primer coat of Surfacer 1500. Absolutely amazing coverage and ecstatic with it after just one coat. Albeit, this was with a lacquer thinner.