1/72nd scale Spitfire PR1F,(Airfix, Airkit)

This is my other build so far for this Group Build. The basic kit is the current issue Mk I with the long defunct Airkit Enterprises PRIF conversion kit. The PR IF was one of the first of the long range PR Spitfires and based on the Mk I airframe. In addition to the camera installation, all the armament and gunsight were removed. An unarmoured windscreen and blisters on the canopy were also fitted . The aircraft carried extra fuel in a new fuselage tank behind the pilot and in two underwing blister. Extra oil was carried in a deepened tank under the nose.  This gave the PR IF the range ,under optimum conditions, to reach Berlin and back. The PR IF entered service in July 1940, just when a PR aircraft was needed that could range over the Continental ports in the build up to an invasion and have a chance of coming back  All the PR Spitfires had a very surface finish to maximise performance.

the Aitkit conversion set consists of resin mouldings for the new deeper oil tank in the nose, and tank behind the pilot and the underwing blisters. Another piece is also given for the camera windows in the fuselage, but so far as I am concerned, that is what drills were invented for as the conversion would have cut a fair chunk out of the rear fuselage/wing root, not the easiest part to deal with anyway on Spitfire kits A very thin vacform canopy is also given with unarmoured windscreen and side blisters. As the conversion kit is designed for the 1979 Spitfire Ia kit there may be fit issues. No decals are given, but I have some on an Almarks and a  Model Alliance sheet for PR aircraft.

One of the first steps was to remove some the detail on Airfix kit. Some of it because the detail is too wide and deep and some  to remove the gun bay access panels. A thin layer of Miliput was used. The interior was more or less the Airfix kit apart from the removal of the gunsight and the addition of the resin fuel tank. This needed some material removing to ensure a good fit of the fuselage halves. The oil tank and fairings were removed from the kit. A test was made with the vac formed canopy and it was found, not surprisingly, not to fit. The shape of the Airfix kit around the windscreen makes it hard to fit anything other than the Airfix canopy and so I reshaped and polished the windscreen and will add the blisters cut from the conversion kit canopy  later.

First photo shows the parts with some Miliput on and the second the interior with new fuel tank. the fina photo shows the fit of the new oil tank and that it is not a good fit, but I would have been surprised if it had been. 

49821682537_46dfa47f71_c_d.jpg

49821680127_1d800142d3_c_d.jpg

49821679337_18bf25e409_c_d.jpg

Now the York is nearly finished, I hope to get on with this quickly.

Edited by Mr T
Spelling
  • Like 6

Please feel free, although you will have to provide your own beer, crisps and popcorn. I finished a PRIG as a dicer earlier this year, still not sure about pink Spitfires. 

Since the photos the wing upper surfaces have been added. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Mr T said:

the final photo shows the fit of the new oil tank and that it is not a good fit, but I would have been surprised if it had been. 

I believe the same conversion kit was released under the LF Models label. Wonder if it does fit better with the old Mk.I Airfix Spit?

Looking at the two kits, probably. Sensible thing would have been to use one of the old ones, but where would be the fun in that? 

A mess around with the old kit shows it would have probably fitted quite well. 

• Like 1

I have managed to make some more progress with the PR Spitfire. Upper wing surfaces are on as is the rudder and tailplane. A bit of filler has been needed and the moulds are showing some sign of wear in a couple of places around the undercarriage legs  and the wing fuselage joint is not as good, at least on my sample. The deeper oil  tank and undernose faring have been shaped with Mililput to gain a bit more width and I am happy with them. Next up will be a quick blast of primer to see what needs cleaning up.

49854357693_5eb6b2c33f_c_d.jpg

49854894146_330342ee6a_c_d.jpg

pleased that this one is going alright at the moment, keeping my fingers crossed

• Like 6

more work done on the Spitfire and now getting to the stage where  will soon be able to paint it. Radiator, oil cooler etc, have been added and a first coat of primer went on  that showed a few bits that needed attention. The resin extra fuel tanks and associated  upper surface blisters have been glued on and fitted quite well. The conversion canopy was meant to go with the 1979 issue of the Spitfire and was never going to fit. What I have done is sanded down the kit's windscreen as it is quite thick and will add the side blisters from the conversion. Not perfect, but I did something similar in about 1980 when I did a conversion to one of the initial PR Spits .

It was a time when as Douglas Adams said 'men were men, women were women, and blue small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri were real blue small furry creatures from Alpha Centauri'

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 8

• 2 weeks later...

After a bit of a spurt in the last week the Spitfire I PRF is now completed and in the gallery. Thanks for looking at the build process

• Like 1