YAK-21 AModel 1:72

I had always believe that ugly planes can not fly well.....

According to that this one did not fly at all. One of planes on the top on the list of ugly ones, YAK 21 Trainer. But i could not resist not to make it.

AModel plastic, meaning only for modelers with good nerves, lot of sanding paper and filler......but at the end you got something unusual.

On the pictures panel lines looks much more pronounced than on in real life, do not know why, one of biggest issues is oversized canopy wider than fuselage of the plane, i tried to compensate somehow but did not manage to fit. Finally, one more exotic bird on the shelf.

Till next model, best regards to all

yak-21-0.jpg

yak-21-1.jpg

yak-21-3.jpg

yak-21-4.jpg

yak-21-5.jpg

yak-21-6.jpg

yak-21-7.jpg

yak-21-9.jpg

yak-21-8.jpg

yak-21-10.jpg

Edited by djos
  • Like 21

A very nice model of something definitely different. The photos are small and I couldn't see the cockpit close up but from what I could see, it looks very good. I like the weathering; just enough to look realistic. Awesome!

• Thanks 1

You tackled that kit very successfully by the looks of it.

Ugly is in the eye of the beholder!

It has it's origins in the 1 or 9 by the looks of it, & they were very pretty aircraft. It does look like a hairdryer on wheels though! 😉 Don't know how powerful that engine was?

Martin

• Thanks 1

If you consider this ugly, then you certainly made it much more attractive.  I like the results!!!!!! :D

Now if you want ugly..................

spacer.png

Only a face a mother could love ( and that`s debatable :hypnotised: )

Mike

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

Anyone that tackles these older A Model kits deserves a medal in my opinion! You've managed to get a good result from a kit most of us would run away from. Good to see something different!

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Hi Djordje,

nicely built Yak-21. I like these early Soviet jets, they have a lot of "character" (others call it ugly :D). Amodel kits, especially their older ones, are not easy builds but you managed to get a nice result out of it. 👍

3 hours ago, Ryan Hothersall said:

my understanding that this aircraft was based on a Yak-3. 

That is correct. The Yak-15 started life as a jet engined Yak-3 (similar as the Saab 21R, which was a jet engined derivate of the earlier piston engined Saab 21). Yak-21 was the designation for the Yak-15 double seater.

Cheers

Markus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 30/04/2020 at 21:49, Sky Keg said:

If you consider this ugly, then you certainly made it much more attractive.  I like the results!!!!!! :D

Now if you want ugly..................

spacer.png

Only a face a mother could love ( and that`s debatable :hypnotised: )

Mike

My eyes! It burns... Oh, nice job on the Yak-21, djos! Not ugly, and certainly not pretty, but interesting-looking. I have both the Amodel Yak-15 and Yak-17 - I might just have to get the Yak-21 to complete the set.

Regards,

Jason

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1