Boeing 314 Pacific Clipper over wing colour

Vesa Jussila

If the photo was not colorized

800px-Boeing_314_Clipper_close-up.jpg

there is a huge difference between red in Stars & Strips and in top of wing...

If you google for models all ready-made models like Corgi or Daron shows also orange. Sometimes it goes even yellow

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ3h92VbVWt3zKU2vT5S7Y

But most are orange

https://www.hawaii-post.com/2006-08APR.html

Other boats in Pan Am livery shows similar

pp-m1096-custom-sikorsky-s-42-flying-cli

fd28aa05dd3f494a35adb48f51ccdc61.jpg

I will keep voting for orange

• Like 2

Thanks @JWM I will go to some shade of orange, if we don't get absolute answer in some days in this chat. Photo you attached is also good, there is also flag in top of chewing that I haven't seen before. There was some comments related flag in top of the wing in one article. This is not normally visible in photos.

Edited by Vesa Jussila

It was international orange (for visibility if ditched). In some lights this can look red. Film can deceive but paintings and posters from the time clearly show orange.

Wing flags are another subject, some Clippers had them and some didn't - one even had two IRRC. Also depends on the timing - Clippers had refits like ships and could have numerous detail and livery changes.

• Like 1

Please note position of flag on wings with star section closer to fuselage, so not expected by logic and principles.

The same was on camouflaged machine crashed in Lisbon 

clipper%2B7.jpg&key=266f647db63f0226d4c2

like on mine too

46614965855_860d4ef8b1_b.jpg&key=6447dd3

It should be also on bottom side of wing, I think

Cheers

J-W

Edited by JWM
  • Like 1

P.S. to above

the US flag was a sign of neutrality, so therefore it is on some photos and it is not on another (not present in pre-war photos). This is my guess rather that anything else

Regards

J-W

• Like 1

Very, very nice! Wish I hadn't sold my Airfix/Academy kit, as I have always had a thing for Clipper 'Berwick' in the BOAC camouflage colors and markings! Your friend knows his way around a model, that's for sure!

Mike

I seem to remember that a couple of years ago someone (Minicraft?) was talking about releasing a 314 in 1:72 scale. It struck a chord at the time because I thought that it would sit well with the CMR 'C' Class 'boat. Am I correct, or just having a senior moment?

11 hours ago, Admiral Puff said:

I seem to remember that a couple of years ago someone (Minicraft?) was talking about releasing a 314 in 1:72 scale. It struck a chord at the time because I thought that it would sit well with the CMR 'C' Class 'boat. Am I correct, or just having a senior moment?

That's the kit they should have released instead of their long awaited and highly anticipated but  so-so PBM Mariner...would have sold a TON of Clippers, methinks!

Mike

Edited by 72modeler
added text

35 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

That's the kit they should have released instead of their long awaited and highly anticipated  so-so PBM Mariner...would have sold a TON of Clippers, methinks!

Mike

You're not wrong there, Mike! Would love to see an injection Clipper in 1:72!

• Like 1