1/48 Iranian IIAF F-14A Tomcat

Hi everyone this is my Italeri Tomcat in 1/48 scale. I bought this online for £20 and a Tomcat in that scale at that price I figured I can't lose, if it's a bad kit then so what? I thought it would have raised detail etc but it didn't, and for the price it's  decent. Not a bad fit either. I got decals to make it the blue splinter scheme for the Top Gun school but the decals arrived and they had Iranian Tomcats as well so it looked a bit different and I'm pleased with the results. I have to add the weapons still but the plane is done. I have to say I think  it's my best effort with a desert camouflage which has a faded/used look. I hope you guys enjoy and if you've tips etc please share! I've the Hobbyboss Tomcat D in my stash so I'll be doing a USN one next with the dirty grey.spacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.pngspacer.png

Edited by Deano353
Spelling mistakes
  • Like 25

Not at all it's surprisingly decent. If the wheels were down it would have been a very quick build with minimal filler. I gave myself extra work by doimg them up.

Yeah exdraken there's very few parts to the kit by current standards but honestly it's a pretty good kit. When the wings are forward you can literally see inside the fuselage but that could be fixed with white plastic card, but it's satisfying to get a decent result from a basic kit for sure! One of my favourite parts was getting the very subtle tint in the windshield that's not obvious, I think it's visible in one photo only.

22 minutes ago, exdraken said:

Wow!!

Turned out nice!

Great work on the camo!!

Nice to see some of the not High Tech kits still being built :thumbsup:

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 1

Nice result and strikingly displayed. It’s clear that a lot of work has gone into achieving such a nice result.

BUT...

...displaying a nicely-built model of a manned aeroplane as if it is in flight but without including any crew figures is immediately obvious and just looks wrong, no matter how well the model has been made. While I know that many kits don’t include crew figures, they are an absolute ‘must-have’ for authenticity of models displayed as if in flight. Sorry to be negative, but the criticism is intended positively so that a viewer’s reaction is “Nice!” rather than “Nice...oh.”

That aside, if your HB Tomcat D is finished as nicely as this one is, it will look spectacular.

Jon

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Jonners said:

Nice result and strikingly displayed. It’s clear that a lot of work has gone into achieving such a nice result.

BUT...

...displaying a nicely-built model of a manned aeroplane as if it is in flight but without including any crew figures is immediately obvious and just looks wrong, no matter how well the model has been made. While I know that many kits don’t include crew figures, they are an absolute ‘must-have’ for authenticity of models displayed as if in flight. Sorry to be negative, but the criticism is intended positively so that a viewer’s reaction is “Nice!” rather than “Nice...oh.”

That aside, if your HB Tomcat D is finished as nicely as this one is, it will look spectacular.

Jon

You're right, I did want crew figures but the reason I didn't was because I wasn't sure how well the kit was going to turn out and originally I had decided to make it with the canopy open with resin seats which I had bought but the cockpit was lacking in detail so much I closed it during the build so the inflight wasn't originally planned, but I do agree with you, I have a Phantom and Aussie F-111 with pilots and it looks better.

Edited by Deano353
  • Like 1