Farewell old timer! English Electric Canberra PR9 Airfix 1/48

Good evening mates,

it's late and it's been a long day. Anyway I found some time to spend on the tail, which needs some work.

Luckily I found this tutorial by  @71chally where he shows a clever system to replicate the tailplane in a very realistic way andveryclose to the real thing.

So I started getting familiar with this area.The main differencies are the junction between the tailplanes and the fuselage and the curve of the rudder's leading edge.

WN2ZvY8.jpg

Here below I've marked with a pencil the areas to be removed

3RITIKj.jpg

Here I've modified the right fuseage half.

A94zpgj.jpg

Here I've cut the area which will house the tailplane main block, by the centreline. To insert it the tail cone has to be removed. I'll glue it back once i'm happy with the tailplane in place.

The fuselage sections I removed will be glued to the tailplane and move up and down with it.

LGLz1Et.jpg

ZRcS2Ol.jpg

TEmsCOx.jpg

Not much of a progress, but it's one of those works you need to get familiar with first.

Thanksforwatching!

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

following this thread with interest after deciding try my hand with this kit after 45 years away from the hobby,  I'm using the aftermarket open nose additions which may be a bit ambitious though!

With regard to the query about the ejection seats, PR9's were fitted with the Type 3CS in the pilot's cockpit.

5 hours ago, heloman1 said:

Wow Massimo good work on the tail planes, who would have thought they needed so much attention!

Colin

Well...to be honest I had no idea, but fortunately, by chance, watching another Canberra build, I saw James' topic and I have to thank him for the precision of the info supplied and mostly for suggesting the way to get a very realistic result.

I'm just following James' instructions and I'll try to do my best to replicate what I see in the pictures.

8 hours ago, Wolie588 said:

following this thread with interest after deciding try my hand with this kit after 45 years away from the hobby,  I'm using the aftermarket open nose additions which may be a bit ambitious though!

With regard to the query about the ejection seats, PR9's were fitted with the Type 3CS in the pilot's cockpit.

I assume you'll be using the Pavla set for the nose. I thought about buying it when I got my kit, a few years ago, but then I decided to have some fun trying to replicate it from scratch, which is what I  did.

About the seat, have you got any pictures showing it? I've found just some "bits"of it as you can see from the pics in the previous page.

Now I'll look for some more pics of the tailplanes and then I'll get back towork. I was wondering about opening the battery bay...I'll see.

Thanks for the nice comments

Ciao

Massimo

On 23/02/2021 at 22:07, Massimo said:

Well...to be honest I had no idea, but fortunately, by chance, watching another Canberra build, I saw James' topic and I have to thank him for the precision of the info supplied and mostly for suggesting the way to get a very realistic result.

I'm just following James' instructions and I'll try to do my best to replicate what I see in the pictures.

I assume you'll be using the Pavla set for the nose. I thought about buying it when I got my kit, a few years ago, but then I decided to have some fun trying to replicate it from scratch, which is what I  did.

About the seat, have you got any pictures showing it? I've found just some "bits"of it as you can see from the pics in the previous page.

Now I'll look for some more pics of the tailplanes and then I'll get back towork. I was wondering about opening the battery bay...I'll see.

Thanks for the nice comments

Ciao

Massimo

Here’s a couple of the pilots seat I found on the net:

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=205836761

https://ipmscanberrasig.webs.com/apps/photos/photo?photoid=186548522

Harness straps etc are vey similar on both seats. Note the face screen firing handle on the pilots seat has a twin loop, whilst the nav’s is a single loop.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Wolie588
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good afternoon mates,

it’s been a busy couple of weeks since my last post.

During this time, my wife tested positive to covid 19 and was hospitalized with pneumonia. As you can imagne, my thoughts were withe here all the timeand I wasn’t really in the mood for modelling. The situation here is getting worse by the day and numbers have never been so bad.

Now she’s been transferred to a nursing home and recovering, even if it’ll take a looong time and I’ve started relaxing a little, even because both my son and myself have tested negative for the second time in 14 days.

So hereI am with a  quick update on my progress on the Canberra.

Having finished the operator pit, I decided the time had come to glue the fuselage halves together. Tamiya green cap was used along the junction.

The junction to the cockpit insert proved a little tricky and superglue was used as a filler, buti t wasn’t too bad.

qXT4KRZ.jpg

3vjojrK.jpg

vbWrnLi.jpg

rlmNiDV.jpg

I also added the nose wheelbay. I’ll add some detail to it later.

jfiRwZ8.jpg

A sanding session followed and I was quite happy with the finish.

MyA7vnl.jpg

UP11dSQ.jpg

Then I gued the wheelbays into their pit and  the wings’ halves together. Engines had been added previousy. They’ve been there for ages. The engines’ exhausts and their housings had been reduced in thickness. It was one of the first things I had done when i bought the kit:

id0qHi5.jpg

dYzriud.jpg

AunGVgE.jpg

I glued some plastic blocks along the ventral opening to ease the ventral insert’s positioning.

1LBB8Fi.jpg

Once they were dry and strong, I added the ventral insert into its housing. I startedd from the back and went on following the junction line . elastic bands did the rest, keeping the ventral insert pushed against it housing  in the fuselage.                                                                                                           

pZNk5Cu.jpg

Another sanding section followed and I got a smooth finish. Panel lines will have to be double checked, but not now!

QLjaDVB.jpg

aaM9Jl6.jpg

The camera bay here below had to be deleted,

AOuAstm.jpg

There’s no sign of it in the picture of the real aircraft at this link:

https://www.airliners.net/photo/UK-Air-Force/English-Electric-Canberra-PR9/1137469/L?qsp=eJxtjrEOwjAMRP/FcwaUUkDZ6MIIAz9gOQYilTayPVBV/XeaRmJiu7tn%2BW4GGgfjj92nzBB

Some surgery was needed to get the part needed of the spare ventral insert from another version of the kit. Superglue and flour were used to fill the gap and a good sanding ended the process. Panel lines will be double cheked, but not now!

FfXyUJ8.jpg

FjI2aWr.jpg

Pn9BGaO.jpg

lfKUqbP.jpg

Being in th mood for surgery, I decided to do some more and remove the original canopy’s  humpback , tobe replaced by the resin one included in the Hypersonic set.

5PR0QR0.jpg

7lMZuSh.jpg

MxPKJXe.jpg

czbe64w.jpg

hsFC7YJ.jpg

ZxTf2W4.jpg

jh9fjOd.jpg

FX3KO9K.jpg

Finally I decided to be brave some more and glued the wings to the fuselage. Faps and wheel bays’ detail will be dealt with later.

fe8qd2v.jpg

yGp6jAc.jpg

0FoBBfd.jpg

That’s it for now!

Thanks for watching

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 10

Looks very nice so far, Massimo.

Sanding down the whole fuselage seems to have made all of those panel lines look more....plausible. Also, thinning down the trailing edges of the exhaust fairings makes a big difference. Looks 100% better now.

-d-

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Amazing work Massimo, stunning cockpits, they look real. I hope you remembered about 1kg of noseweight!

Hope your wife gets well soon, scary times. Best wishes mate.

• Thanks 1

Lovely work Massimo. I've one of these to build soon and will be following your build closely, though mine will be no where near as detailed as yours! That rear stabiliser work looks a bit too sophisticated for me!

I also hope your wife continues to mend and makes a full recovery.

• Thanks 1

Glad to hear that your better half is recovering well mate! 

Lovely surgery too, I would be disappointed to see kit parts being used by you without corrections!

Stay safe!

Ian

• Haha 1

Looking great! I hope all works out well with your wife.     🤞

Please note that it is against the rules here at Britmodeller to post a photo from airliners.net. The folks at that website are quite stern about this. Just use a link instead.

Cheers,

Bill

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Navy Bird said:

Please note that it is against the rules here at Britmodeller to post a photo from airliners.net. The folks at that website are quite stern about this. Just use a link instead.

Bill

I apologize for the mistake.

Got a link instead and it should be ok now. Thanks for reminding!

3 hours ago, Lord Riot said:

Amazing work Massimo, stunning cockpits, they look real. I hope you remembered about 1kg of noseweight!

Hope your wife gets well soon, scary times. Best wishes mate.

In general I'm not a nose weight lover, expecially for something this big.

This is really a beast and I don't want to stress the landing gears with what would be a huge weight which would need a concrete display cabinet, so I've decided I'll pin the wheels to a wooden base and this will keep it in the right posture.

Thank you all for the kind feelings for my Treasure!

Ciao

Massimo

Edited by Massimo
  • Like 3

Massimo, I'm terribly sorry to hear about your wife, but glad she's on the mend and you are OK.

Usual neat job from your side, and with some added surgery too! :clap: :worthy:

Ciao 

• Thanks 1

All the best to you & your family Massimo.  
When I built one the nose wheel strut hadn’t come out properly in the injection mould so I had to put in a new rod between the wheels & on to the strut.  That with the nose weight has always made it very fragile.  I also suspect I filled most of the nose & coal hole with lead.  It was my first 1/48 kit so I was just working things out.  Yours is progressing nicely though

• Thanks 1

My best wishes also for your wife.

That’s a mammoth update, and it looks like you have a Canberra now. Great job on the belly insert, it’s really difficult to get that long a join to conform along it’s whole length but it looks like you’ve done it.

John

• Thanks 1