Farewell old timer! English Electric Canberra PR9 Airfix 1/48

Good evening mates,

A small update on Today’s progess.

Once decided I’d use the CMK seat, I started by deleting the seat belts and drilled a hole in the middle of the chute bag, as this is the main difference with the realthing. Here below a comparison between the original seat and the corrected one. Seat belts will be added later.

QoAFWke.jpg

Next I added a few electrical boxes to the operator pit’s bulkhead and a step to support the ejection seat,which isn’t sitting on the floor, nut suspended at a short distance from it.

f8ZZwl7.jpg

mli9e1E.jpg

I also grinded the area over the ejection seat, to reduce the thickness of the fuselage and replicate the panel supposed to brake on ejection.

Qmts5qc.jpg

aq8h9GE.jpg

I added cables and pipes to the bulkhead, a strip of riveted alu tape in the middle of the floor and a square profile around the grinded area ,to replicate the perimeter’s frame.

7Xn1dNz.jpg

Q4U1rQ1.jpg

Considering the dakness and poor visibility of this area, I think it’ll do. This is what the pit looks like now.

IOjLSI5.jpg

GARx9Ln.jpg

Side consolles will be next. Let’s think about them Tomorrow!

That’s it for now, time to go to bed!!!

Good night!

Massimo

• Like 13

Great progress in the front pit, as someone previously said it must have been a pretty grim place to work, at least he had those tiny windows to look through to see which way up he was.

I haven't built a Canberra for some time but I feel the urge for a PR9 coming on.

John

• Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Good evening mates,

My mojo wasn’t at its highest for a while, so I haven’t been visiting much nor found much time for modelling, lately.

Probably part of this is due to the uselesness of the modeling task I chose to undertake: the Canberra’s operator’s pit. Spending hours watching pictures of a black hole trying to replicate the darkness in it knowing well that you’ll never see anything once it’s done isn’t of much help and this knowledge ‘s slowed me down.

Then a few days ago I received a pack from Japan and the quality of what was inside brought me back on track and I decided the time had come to get things moving again.

First a few pictures of the package contents:

x41oQHV.jpg

0XlqOVL.jpg

uM2wJDo.jpg

Pictures aren’t good, but this is top class stuff!!!! Hypersonic models resin Canopy. The quality of the resin parts is superb and the instuctions are very accurate. Hope I’ll be able to do the job properly.

I realized the camera portholes at the sides of the fuselage were missing and thus I marked them with a pencil first and then I drilled them.

1Ttjrnq.jpg

Then I spent a couple of nights detailing the fuselge interiors, using the usual styrene card an rods and some PE from the Airscale frets I bought recently. At the top, sticked to the back of a yellow “post it” you can see my version of the cameras. I built them from scratch using a bit of plastic tube sticked to a back plate. I painted it black and dry brushed it light grey, then I filled it with drops of Future , to replicate the lens. I repeated this process several times untilI was happy with the lens effect.

rSuEy0E.jpg

I won’t add much more detail, considering the darkness of the area. Here below a picture with the seat in place.

xfbHQfP.jpg

And a couple with the fuselage closed. For sure, once painted, it’ll be the seat to get all the attention!

plRdYUF.jpg

9exsPYG.jpg

fmVU9ta.jpg

After painting the interior black, I glued them inside the fuselage halves. They’re the white rectangles .

toX4KLJ.jpg

Here below  couple of pictures fro outside. Glass will be added later.

8LbkoG8.jpg

sCuuqgG.jpg

Here below the three painting steps:

Black first

atN7A9I.jpg

EDSG to enlighten the panels.

Kg8VVRg.jpg

And Light Aircraft grey drybrushing to enphasize  the details. It’s a little overdone by choice, due to the darkness the pit will have to live in.

8tUCOvW.jpg

And finally a few with the fuselage closed.

9VAo37o.jpg

C65Xhzh.jpg

txKw5KJ.jpg

Next I’ll add some colours here and there, and then I’ll concentrate on the seat.

That’s it for now. Thanks for watching.

Good night!!!

Massimo

• Like 23

17 minutes ago, Massimo said:

Probably part of this is due to the uselesness of the modeling task I chose to undertake: the Canberra’s operator’s pit.

Having spent some time with my head inside this part of the PR9 that they have in the hangar at Ulster Aviation, I can confirm the accuracy of your observations Massimo about it being:

1. Dark
  2. Cramped.

That is to say, cramped in a very dark way indeed.

Help yourself to anything of use here:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/145347300@N05/29V6Ui

The beautiful detailing in your work is a continual source of pleasure.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

I did this same thing in 1:72 scale. Luckily I had a lot of resin so I didn't have to use up all of my card stock.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

...and you did a fantastic job!!! For an aicraft fo this size I think 1/72 scale is the most appropriate, butwhen Ibought mine, Iwasonlybuilding 1/48th nd thus...that was it!!!

I remember I bought it from Hannnants during one of my journeys to the UK and the same time I bought a Xtrakit PR9 for a friend..

Thinking about this now, I shoud have kept the Xtrakit fo myself!!!

Anyway it just fits to my display cabinet, so it's ok!

Seing it with daylight, I think I'll give it a black wash!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

Claustrophobia comes to mind.

Great work so far! Super scratching.

I did this same thing in 1:72 scale. Luckily I had a lot of resin so I didn't have to use up all of my card stock.    :)

Cheers,

Bill

A mate and myself - both of us are >195cm tall - folded ourselves into the repro cockpit at Elvington. Once his partner was in too, we were ready to get out again.

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Martian said:

Lovely work Massimo, so good in fact that you have made me change my mind about selling of my PR.9 kit.

Impressed of Mars 👽

NO NO NO,..Don't sell it! 

It'llbe anice mate totheother two you're actually building!!! 

And that canopy not out of  centre is so British!!!! 

You must give it a chance!!!!:like:

Ciao

Massimo

• Haha 3

Good afternoon mates,

Yesterday I concentrated on the navigator’s ejectable seat. Once this is done, I shouldn’t be too far from glueing the fuselage.

I added some kabuki tape seat belts.There are many, thus I’ll proceed on different satges, doing some first and adding some more later.

gZdnd5X.jpg

dPlg9Xw.jpg

Then I went to work with different colours…not the tidiest table in town!!!

PhFQZCa.jpg

This is the final result.

1akHm4r.jpg

1l2XQS8.jpg

I decided to give the  fuselage halves a black wash , as it was a little too bright, added some coluour touches here and there to give the interior a bit of life and finally a layer of Xtracrilics matt clear .

2CiZroN.jpg

Then I added te seat.

tuUV1EK.jpg

Side view. You can see some of the cockpit detail too.

P7kvpYJ.jpg

Looking at the pictures, I realized the all thing was a little too…hairy!!! Must be residues from the cotton swabs I used to remove the excess of black wash.

gBARsls.jpg

6BtfF9X.jpg

So, with the help of a brush and a pair of tweezers and went to work to clean the mess!!! This is what it looks like now.

KMgARP2.jpg

wGVxhVm.jpg

3YsE9kR.jpg

Dry test to see how it looks .

GrSQLg6.jpg

e38lokD.jpg

dhvz3Od.jpg

mfqYj66.jpg

9IfzwkI.jpg

Now I’ve got a request for the well informed.

Here below the only pics I’ve found showing the pilot’s ejectable seat fitted to the PR9 at the end of her service. You can see both ends , but not whats in between.

cSBv9B1.jpg

NvxSG75.png

vjY1aV3.jpg

Can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

This is it for now. I’ll keep you posted on any progress.

Ciao

Massimo

• Like 8

Hi mates,

I forgot to ask another question:

some time ago I saw a tutorial on another Canberra build  showing how to correct Airfix kit's stabilizers.

I can't find it anymore!!!!:headbang:

This is going to be one of the next works on my list so I'd be grateful if somebody can give me the link to it.

Hope to find it!!!

Thankyou

Massimo

Great job on the navigator seat, Massimo :clap:

Unfortunately I can't be of any help with your questions, so I'll just quietly wait here till someone knowledgeable comes up with the answers. :D

Ciao 

• Thanks 1