T-33 T-bird GWH 1/48 Dayglo scheme

7 hours ago, Antti_K said:

Hello Rob,

very nice work with that T-33🙂

Here are a couple of pictures to further explain and show you the technique I use for weathered Dayglo-orange surfaces:

spacer.png

spacer.png

I'm not very good at painting with an airbrush, therefore I think that crayon pigment is the only solution for really smooth colour demarcation.

When I was happy with the result I applied a coat of clear lacquer with a soft brush. Then masked again, this time for the aluminium colour. Then another gloss coat. There will be "raised" line between the colours, but it can be sanded smooth with grade 800 wet&dry. When you apply the final coat on, the surface will be completely smooth.

HPH

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks Antti,

I must say, it is the effect I am looking for. I may do some practicing today to see if I can come close. Then do the wing tanks first to get the practice in before moving on to the fuselage.

Appreciate your help on this one.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 2

Or you could spray the orange in such a way as to fade it, but then use 6000  micromesh to sand away the areas where you want more fading.

Some good techniques here

Andy

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Red Dot said:

Or you could spray the orange in such a way as to fade it, but then use 6000  micromesh to sand away the areas where you want more fading.

Some good techniques here

Andy

Sounds good as well. Suspect it will turn out to be a combination of the various suggestions provided here. Thanks!

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 1

Hi,

Made some progress and applied a gloss coat of Mr color GX2 Ueno black, followed by AK xtreme polished aluminium.

Now I realize the result  is way too shiny, but I will dull it down with the clear coats and the wash later. It's just that it is a sequence that I am quite comfortable with and know works after my recent f-84 and f-86 builds.

Tomorrow I will seal it with a Mr color GX100 clear gloss coat, before I start applying a few different metal shades and the day-glo later.

spacer.png

Overall I am quite satisfied with the metal coat. I really like the AK stuff.

That's all for today,

Thanks for watching..........

Regards,

Rob

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Antti_K said:

Wow, that looks really nice. Shame, that you must dull it down. On the other hand that will be more in line with faded Dayglo colour.

Cheers,

Antti

Thanks. Will try to find a good compromise regarding the final "shine" of the NMF......... 🙂

Rgds

• Like 1

Hi,

Sealed the Ak polished Aluminium with gx-100 and masked the areas to be sprayed day-glo.

Started with Mr color C316 white, followed by C4 yellow and short bursts of Mr Hobby H24 Orange through the airbrush. The inside of the tip tanks still look very yellow, but they will be airbrushed black for anti-glare anyway.

Nevertheless, also on the outside of the tip tanks I may just apply a little more orange to match the bands on the fuselage which look ok to me. I may try some yellow and orange pigment as well to see if this further improves the faded look. 

Unfortunately below images don't show up the faded look much, because the Orange is a gloss coat and even the tip tanks (which have definitely got more yellow in them) show up as quite an even orange tone. The camera of my smartphone just seems to blend it to an even color for whatever reason. I will do a light sanding tomorrow with a fine sanding sponge to get rid of the raised masking edges and that should reduce the gloss as well. I probably should have airbrushed some matt varnish on the day-glo. May still do this if the shine persists.

spacer.png

spacer.png

E0Gbtsk.jpg

That's all for now.

Thanks for watching.

Kind Regards,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
grammar
  • Like 4

Hi,

Tried to get some fading done on the tip tanks. Gently rubbed some orange away in place with a tamiya fine grit sanding sponge. Will do the same on the fuselage later once the masking tape is removed.

spacer.png

In addition I have started blending  yellow and orange with some pencil pigment as per Antti's suggestion;

spacer.png

To be continued,

Regards,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.
addition
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Slowly starting to look like a T-33. May tweek the fading just a little still.

It is a shame to lose that lovely metal shine, but if I want it to look in keeping with the orange fading, I will have to dull down the NMF eventually. First I may pick out a few panels for a slightly different darker and lighter alu appearance, although looking at photographs the lockheed t-33 looks quite uniform in metal overall. Probably have to be careful not to  overdo it.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Comments, critique and suggestion welcome.

Regards,

Rob

• Like 7

2 hours ago, Red Dot said:

Looking great Rob. Were they painted or natural metal?

Andy

According to the IPMS NL website and photo's I have seen and the Mk 1 reference material usually all natural metal. (apart from the demo-teams)

In the latter part of their service-life the underneath was often painted an aluminium colour to prevent corrosion as I understand it.

They did operate the photo reconnaissance version in camouflage at one point.

Regards,

Rob

Edited by Rob K.

Highlighted a few panels and addressed the wheel wells. The panels  stand out quite a bit, but I think they will also dull down once they receive the clear coat and wash.

spacer.png

I also highlighted the area around the intake which on a number of reference photo's seem to appear often either lighter or darker from the general shade of the overall aluminium used.

LThlKQA.jpg

Probably decals tomorrow prior to the "wash".

Thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 4

To me, the panels look fine. If anything, the orange looks a bit yellow but as you said, this is only the photos, so don't be tempted to change anything, it really us looking great.

It is around this time in my build that something goes wrong, like a huge fingerprint on the metal or such like!

Andy

• Like 2

The decals from the Mk1 publication made by aviprint were of real good quality. Quite thin, but still strong and flexible enough and nice and responsive to a little Micro sol.

The generic GWH decals were another story. I could not get them to stick nor conform, not even with the various decal softeners. I thought I would use them for the red area on the wing-root and the red lines around the flap and the stenciling.  Despite being in a sealed bag and protected by a cover sheet they stayed tough and the wing root decal just teared. They were sealed in a bag and protected by a cover sheet. Maybe just bad luck. This is my first GWH kit. Ended up using a variety of other stencils with similar text. The magnifying glass in my hobby  lamp was put to good use.....🧐

Still way......... too glossy, but I think I will probably go to an Alclad semi gloss straight away and see what shine we end up with and possibly tweeking it as we go along after which I plan to do the wash and further weathering.

spacer.png

That's all, thanks for watching,

Regards,

Rob

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Red Dot said:

I didn't use the kit decals, as I did a Japanese one, so used Platz decals. They were superb.

Looks good

Andy

Thanks Andy,

Luckily on the avi print sheet there were also some straight red lines present, so cut those to size for the flap area. A new decal for the wingroot was also cut from the avi-print sheet, using the roundel from a friendly nation........... (should have just masked and painted them)

I always save any left over decals, but the GWH were really not up to scratch, so discarded them, which is quite unusual for me.

Rgds,

Rob

I used the GWH decals on my recent build and found them first class. I did use very hot water to release them from the backing sheet and a hot cloth to help them conform but no other help was needed. Maybe I was lucky or you were unlucky.  

Lovely work on the kit so far. 

• Thanks 1

I used the Humbrol acrylic for this (can’t remember the number) and applied it over a base of white. Typical acrylic paint, it needed several thin coats to get density. However, I remember noting at the time that after one or two coats, it did give the impression of being faded.

Trevor

• Thanks 1

Sealed the decals with a semi gloss. (Settled with a coat of 25/75% Mr. Color GX100 gloss/GX114 flat).

Guess some further reduction in shine will occur after the dark brown Flory wash.

May have to do a touch up with some orange pigment still (indeed a little too yellow in places). May try some pastels if the crayons don't do the job.

spacer.png

That's all for today.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 8

So got up early and applied a panel wash and carefully put a little more orange crayon dust on in places, at times utilizing  a damp brush with alcohol. 

I guess it is more or less the time now where I have to decide whether to apply a little more or leave it. Not sure if it still looks too yellow.

A little more weathering does need to be done as I forgot to lay down a little chipping fluid (hairspray or maskol) on the walkways and anti glare.

Made some pics without a lamp, just natural light. Hopefully one gets an idea of shine and yellow/orangeness.

Comments and suggestions welcome as always.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Thanks for watching,

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 8

Ok, that's all the paint and weathering done. I think I will leave it as it is before I spoil it.

Am reasonably happy with the result. Will choose a darker orange colour next time. Photo's are again a little dark, but as soon as I put a light on the subject, my phone camera translates the orange into yellow. Wing tanks and nose look ok from here. Not entirely sure about the rear day-glo band near the tail.

All masking removed, just the flaps and undercarriage to install.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

That's all for today.

Thanks for watching, your help, feedback, comments and suggestions so far.

Rgds,

Rob

• Like 7