Messerschmitt Bf109E kits

Michael Leek

Good morning!

Whilst not new to modelling, I’m newish to Britmodeller so please bear with me if this question has been asked before!

I’m interested in building a large scale model - 1:24, 1:32 or 1:48 - of an Me Bf109E. I would like to include as much internal detail as possible, and as is available through the third party detailing sets. Which kit and accessories would others recommend, and why?

Michael

• Like 1

First pick your scale- you say "large scale", but the 1/24th is twice (linearly) the size of the 1/48.

I would suggest that 1/32 might be a good compromise if you want "big"(ish) and scope for detail.  There's a very thorough comparison of the Emils in this scale- I think I put the links in a Britmodeller thread at one point, but it came from LargeScalePlanes, as I recall.  Don't have time to track it down just this moment.

As for aftermarket, there must be plenty of things, and I'd suggest that most of it can be made to work on whichever kit you choose (I'm still thinking 32nd).  Even more choice, no doubt, in 48th, but I couldn't even begin to suggest particular sets.

The kit enabling the greatest amount of detailing in absolute terms is the 1/24 Airfix, simply because of its size, but you largely have to do the work yourself rather than use off the shelf aftermarket stuff.  It is a 48 year old old kit and while it's still got a lot of potential for the dedicated modeller it shows its age in a lot of ways.

The kit enabling the greatest amount of detailing using off-the-shelf aftermarket sets is undoubtedly the Eduard 1/32.  It is also a very good kit in itself..

Michael,

As has been said, the 1/24th Airfix kit can be turned into a stunning model but will require a lot of work and scratch building to bring it up to the level that you want.

While the Eduard kit can be found for a reasonable price it is not without a number of inexplicable faults which were examined in detail some time ago on the Large Scale Planes website.

IMHO, your best bet for your project would be the 1/32 E-3, E-4 or E-7 offerings from Cyber Hobby/Dragon which, while not without their few minor faults, should meet your requirements.

Fairly well and accurately detailed in their engine and cockpit areas, the minor faults are quite simple fixes that require no major surgery while the available aftermarket sets for 1/32 109E's (excluding those for the old Hasegawa kit)

are easily adaptable for use on the Cyber Hobby/Dragon kits whose only real failing are the instructions which really need close studying before building commences.

However, that being said, there are many work in progress posts for both Eduard and Cyber Hobby on the various modelling sites and if I may, I'd suggest that you do a quick Google search which should take you to several very informative WIP's

which should further help you in your final decision.

Hope this helps and good luck with your build whichever kit you choose.

Cheers

Dave

21 hours ago, Michael Leek said:

Good morning!

Whilst not new to modelling, I’m newish to Britmodeller so please bear with me if this question has been asked before!

I’m interested in building a large scale model - 1:24, 1:32 or 1:48 - of an Me Bf109E. I would like to include as much internal detail as possible, and as is available through the third party detailing sets. Which kit and accessories would others recommend, and why?

Michael

Mentioned earlier, the Large Scale Planes hobby forum site would be your best source for recommendations and information on what items are available insofar as aftermarket detailing sets go as well.

On 4/30/2020 at 12:25 PM, colin said:

As WIP above, Eduard 1/32 it can be got quite cheap if you search around

Bear in mind that there are effectively two 1/32 109Es made by Eduard - the Weekend kit and the main version. The Weekend version is fine if you're tight on time or budget, but some of the compromises inherent in a kit such as this struck me as a bit odd! 

• 1 month later...