Vickers Wellesley info needed

cema_ga

Hi comrades!

I'm started the build the Valom kit. I will try to add more details in the pilot headrest area and main undercarriage + wheel wells. Any informative photo or diagram will be helpful.

I have the Warpaint book on Wellesley as reference. Unfortunately, no good detail on the desired areas((

Thanks in advance

Edited by cema_ga
  • Thanks 1

There was an article in Flight magazine December 8th 1938 which has detailed diagrams of the structure of the Wellesley clearly showing the headrest supporting structure. Unfortunately the Flight Global Archive is offline but if you PM me your email address I'll send a copy.

There are structural drawings from Aeroplane magazine in the old Profile booklet which give some detail of the undercarriage arrangements, I can send that as well.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

As for the pilot's headrest, there are very few pictures of that area. About the best I have is this:

49838363048_5a67e4ba8f_o.jpg

As for other details, see below:

49838390053_3dabc8382c_o.jpg

49838932126_40f67236d5_o.jpg

49839233207_fda6c8078f_o.jpg

49839245852_84d7546ca1_b.jpg

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• 3 weeks later...

Hi comrades!

Thanks for the great info! I implemented it so far in the wheel wells - see my build here:

My next question: which color to use for the wheel wells and interior? Valom recommends to use Dark Sea Grey for the wells and Dark silver/steel for the rest of the wells. 

Aircraft interior is in Interior Green, the floor is Dark See Gray. Is it correct?

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

The pilot's cockpit would be Interior Green.  The rest of the fuselage would have aluminium structure with the inside of the fabric fuselage covering showing as brick red. 

The undercarriage leg and other interior structure of the wheel well was also probably aluminium.  The image below is one of the best I've seen showing the undercarriage:

spacer.png

Again, the interior of the fabric wing covering will show as brick red. 

• Thanks 1

@dogsbody

Chris, do you have any idea what that vee-shaped  projection is at the top of the cowl ring in the photo above? Can't be associated with the ring and bead gunsight, as I can see both of those. Thinking maybe, just maybe it might be used in some way  for bomb aiming when the panniers are loaded with stores? Never noticed it in any photos before.

Mike

45 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

@dogsbody

Chris, do you have any idea what that vee-shaped  projection is at the top of the cowl ring in the photo above? Can't be associated with the ring and bead gunsight, as I can see both of those. Thinking maybe, just maybe it might be used in some way  for bomb aiming when the panniers are loaded with stores? Never noticed it in any photos before.

Mike

Something similar, but only visible as a lump, appears in the last photograph on p96 in the Profile..........

spacer.png

I have been through all my references, Warpaint 86, Profile 256, R.A.F. Bombers Of World War Two Volume Two and the IWM, and that is the only image I can see with that item on the cowling. I have no idea what it's purpose is.

Chris

• Thanks 1

On 5/17/2020 at 7:48 PM, mhaselden said:

The undercarriage leg and other interior structure of the wheel well was also probably aluminium.  The image below is one of the best I've seen showing the undercarriage:

spacer.png

Again, the interior of the fabric wing covering will show as brick red. 

Fantastic! Which color You recommend to use for the fuselage floor (radio operator/gunner's office) ?

39 minutes ago, cema_ga said:

Fantastic! Which color You recommend to use for the fuselage floor (radio operator/gunner's office) ?

I'd stick with aluminium.  All metal areas aft of the pilot's cockpit would be aluminium.  Here are a few interior pics:

8511492564_9b12c7bb68_c.jpg

6369657127_990210c366_b.jpg

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

I'd stick with aluminium.  All metal areas aft of the pilot's cockpit would be aluminium.  Here are a few interior pics:

8511492564_9b12c7bb68_c.jpg

6369657127_990210c366_b.jpg

WOW! Excellent! Thank You! Avionic Boxes are Black?

22 hours ago, cema_ga said:

WOW! Excellent! Thank You! Avionic Boxes are Black?

Yes, probably...although "avionic" is probably a bit grand for what were probably radios or something similar. :)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, mhaselden said:

although "avionic" is probably a bit grand for what

Sorry, just a habit...

Thanks a lot! I'm go to implement this shortly in my build!